• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP major load problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enduro

All right, here's my problem. I recently just flashed to a new BIOS and it went fine. Booted my computer up and logged into Windows just as I normally do. I restart my computer and load my overclocked settings and Windows gets to the blue welcome screen and then a BSOD appears, but it disappears to quickly for me to read it and then the system reboots. I loaded my default BIOS settings and still XP won't load. I have no idea what the problem is and would really prefer not to reload Windows for the umpteenth time. Any help would be great, my computer definitely isn't go to fix itself and not knowing much about Windows errors has me at a loss.

I've been having a similar problem...first, before you jump to harsh conclusions, try these steps

1.) Use the WinXP CD and load the recovery console. Use that to see if you can read/access the C:\ (or the WinXp install drive). If you can, try to replace your ntoskrnl.exe file with the one on the CD. However, if you have a SP installed and the CD isn't that SP, DONT DO IT.

2.) If #1 fails, try to boot to a different os, or if you get real desperate, I can send you a 100% RAM Linux drive (not horrible, you wont die from it) and you can look at the hard drive that way

Either way, let me know how it goes and any progress you can make. You and me are in this together, buddy

Thanks man, I tried #1 but in a different way, I booted up with the windows disc in and reloaded windows from there. My files transfered luckily and I am finally back to normal. Thanks for the help. I was freaking scared for a while. I still don't know what went wrong, I wish I did so I can prevent it from happening again, but..... my xp knowledge is very small. And thanks for the offer on the Linux drive, it's great to have people on the forum that actually help out other people like that. That's true character. Thanks again.

Back