• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro IIS 5.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRB442

Hi, I am running a older machine as a server with xp pro iis 5.1 and can't get the index.html page to work. I get a under construction page when trying from another computer. I ahve the folder with the web page as index and tried index.html,index.htm with same results. I had it working before my hard drive cashed and though I had reconstructed it the same but am missing something. I know it is somthing easy just can't com up with it. Thanks Steve

Which folder are you putting your pages in? By default, IIS 5 and 6 have a webroot of C:\inetpub\wwwroot. You should see the default page in that folder. Removing that and placing your web page there should fix that.

Thanks for replying and I am putting my web page in c:\inetpub\wwroot folder and it is a html file and is called index. If I remove everything from that folder except the web page (created with dreamweaver 4.0) I get a virtual directory message. This worked before the drive failure. Steve

Which folder are you putting your pages in? By default, IIS 5 and 6 have a webroot of C:\inetpub\wwwroot. You should see the default page in that folder. Removing that and placing your web page there should fix that.

Hi, I get a Directory Listing Denied. The Virtual Directory does not allow content to be listed. Thanks Steve

Check to see what the default document is set to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320051

I bet if you add /index.html to the URL (assuming that is the document that you put in c:\inetput\wwwroot), then it will show. It's just that it is not configured to have index.html as a default doc. I believe IIS 5/6 has Default.htm, index.htm with a few other defaults but not index.html.

Hi again, I got that document and followed it and added the index.html as it said and it is working now. Thank You Very Much. Steve

Check to see what the default document is set to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320051

I bet if you add /index.html to the URL (assuming that is the document that you put in c:\inetput\wwwroot), then it will show. It's just that it is not configured to have index.html as a default doc. I believe IIS 5/6 has Default.htm, index.htm with a few other defaults but not index.html.

Back