• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP vs. Applebred for SETI??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
Have a chance to upgrade my XP1600+ (@1575) to a Duron Applebred (2GHz) chip... was wondering if anyone had any idea how it would perform at BOINC?

I will, of course, mildly overclock it, but need it to be stable as it also runs my server... anyone?

Thanks for the help!

:D

Last edited:
I'm a Folder, but I see that it does have 4x less cache, but that shouldn't make much difference for crunching/folding, is has sse so that isn't an issue, so, if it is just a crunching/serving machine, that applebread should perform a bit better since it is or will be about a 500mhz difference in clock speed(obviously). But if you multitask on that pc much, it would probably be best that you get a tbred or sempron with the extra cache.(It would be ideal, but if the processor is really cheap or free.. then don't bother) That is how I see it, anyone can chime in if needed to tell me that i'm wrong since i'm not a cruncher. :)

Last edited:
I would go with a Sempron or Barton if possible. Simply because of the bigger L2 cache. SETI loves a big L2 cache. (at least classic did!)

But as mentioned. If it is very cheap of free - i say go for it! 300+ mhz can´t be all wrong :p

Ditto - Seti is highly dependent on cache. The applebred will fall into the same class as the P4 celeron.

Well the Applebred is about half of what I can get an XP2000+ for (the fastest my KR7A will support)...

What I worry about is that any clock cycle advantage (over my XP 1600) would be lost due to the much lower cache... any thoughts?

As always, thanks for your help!

The first that comes to my mind is that they would be about the same. Your XP is OC to 1575 - so the higher FSB will give better performance than a 2Ghz Duron at stock. If you can clock that Duron (which you probably can) you migth get some faster times despit the lower L2 cache.

You should be able to use a 266 FSB XP2400 in that board. I had one running in an old MSI board KT266 with SDRAM and it ran great.

Back