• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yeahs and Nays of 2k4 - A good read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nothing wrong with having opinions... You don't agree with me, I don't agree with you. I see nothing offensive about that, and no reason for anyone to get defensive. I like your discussion, however off base I think it is.

Carry on. :beer:

I.M.O.G. said:
Nothing wrong with having opinions... You don't agree with me, I don't agree with you. I see nothing offensive about that, and no reason for anyone to get defensive. I like your discussion, however off base I think it is.

Carry on. :beer:

Not defensive, just pointing out the fact you started this thread to gain some feedback (or so i thought), and when you did, you didn't care for it. Carry on indeed. :beer:

I like the fact that LCDs came down to a much more affordable price in 2004. I think that they will get even better as OLEDs take off in the next year or so.

I agree with Ed on the prescotts. They're Intel's worst chip ever. Its the same thing as when ran the process to far at the end of the pIIIs. Crippling the cpus performance in order to allow for higher clocks speeds smacks of a sneaky move by marketing to dupe consumers to me, but they ramped it up much faster and in the end it was more performance so alls well that ends well.

However, you can't ignore that heat and power increase after a die shrink. Those things should be getting better or at least remaining static. The only reason for that is a failure on Intel's part. Also, its going to really get into the way of ramping up the clock speed which is what they need to do to make the prescott not a stinker.

Intel has the resources and the engineers to do the job. They have more clout than AMD. But they're getting beat at their own game because they're spending all their time competing internally against different departments rather than focusing on putting out good products. (Example: Its widely rumored that the main reason Intel didn't have a 64bit desktop CPU in its cooker was because the Itathium department was threatened by it and after the amount of money they invested in that CPU they refused to allow something that competed with it come out. Well, that didn't turn out well for them anyway did it?)

Its not Intel's design team thats screwing them here. Its their corporate policies. They need to get their crap together and focus on beating the competition instead of eachother. Its not a big surprise though, they're a big company with a lot of products in the same sector that are bound to have some overlap. So you've got people jealously protecting their baby and screwing everyone else in the process.

AMD is weaker financially but since they're a smaller more focused company they don't have to deal with that. Or their leadership is currently better.

The Dothan is starting to get out of moble platforms as there are a couple of tweakable mATX boards out that will run them. However the systems are as expensive as a dual Xeon workstation.

I won't get a PressHott any time soon if ever. To bad the latest and greatest Intel chipsets are tied to only the PressHott. I have a P4c in an i865 chipset SFF Shuttle and although the latest LGA 775 look pretty good, I won't get one as they only take PressHotts.

I have a dual Xeon system right now and it's everything I'd hoped it would be. Eventhough they are the Prestonia processors (Northwood core) the workstation produces enough heat running FAH 24/7 to keep my room several degrees warmer than the rest of the house. I sweat to think what a pair of Noconas (PressHott core) would do.

If the Dothan starts to get more and more in demand for desktops, Intel will listen and respond with more. I think dual core Dothans would be the bomb.

When I do build another duallie, I think an Opteron SLI platform will do it for me. I like the Iwill DK8EW best so far. I think graphics cards are where we'll see most of the performance gains.

what about the 256 bit 9800 se and 9800 se AIW, they have to be a contender for oc product of the year, getting a pro for under £100 + the time it takes to download the softmod

Back