• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another cable question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theis

Registered
Hello, I have a two questions(for now) about cable sleeving.

First off, I know my PSU is fully modular, and that corsair sells individually sleeved cables, but this is not the point.
Basically after trying to do a better job at my cable management, I ran into a few problems; Cables being too long or too short. And also I would like to not modify the original cables, if I ever decide to sell it at some point. This brings me to my questions;

1. After doing some reading about which AWG wire to use, I stumbled upon a few answers;
- When doing Sata cables, 20-22 AWG wire is good enough.
- The 24 pin cable/GPU cables/CPU cable, has to be 16-18 AWG.
Is this correct?

2. When doing the 4 pin molex connectors/Sata power connectors, how do I put them in serial. For an example, when looking at this how am I able to put such a connector in serial, if able at all. If not, can you recommend any?
And as far as I understand, when doing the molex connectors, you just cramp another wire end into the first molex connector, and you can add another molex connector this way?

Thanks a lot for taking your time to read this, and I'd like to thank anyone who can, at least chip in just a bit.

Last edited:
When I built cables for Corsair power supplies, I used 22 AWG for peripherals unless they were high draw (strings of hard drives) and 18 AWG for the 24 pin connector, CPU connector, and video card cables.

You don't put Molex/SATA in serial, they are in parallel. For the connector, you just crimp in two wires. Similar to this cable that I made.

When I built cables for Corsair power supplies, I used 22 AWG for peripherals unless they were high draw (strings of hard drives) and 18 AWG for the 24 pin connector, CPU connector, and video card cables.

You don't put Molex/SATA in serial, they are in parallel. For the connector, you just crimp in two wires. Similar to this cable that I made.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Just another question also, if you do not mind;
As far I could read also, the wire that is used is the UL1007 and UL1569 (?), but all the wire of that kind I found would become expensive(Either because of 100m rolls, or because of the import taxes. Still looking though)
Would something like electrical equipment wire still be useable, to the extend that no damage would be done?

I didn't look for anything specific other than the other the person wanted along with the gauge.

Back