• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another Q6600 thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noobert

Disabled
but i need to get it to 3.0 ghz. i need detailed instructions. i.e go to bios, increase multiplier. etc. can someone please post some?

but i need to get it to 3.0 ghz. i need detailed instructions. i.e go to bios, increase multiplier. etc. can someone please post some?

Default multi on q6600 is 9... thus for 3ghz goto BIOS and set FSB to 333 x 9. You should be able to attain 3ghz on stock volts, but you may havta up the vcore to get it prime stable.

Also this is a very detailed thread of settings and what they do, try what I said above, and if you still need assistance just ask.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Welcome to OCF!

I just overclocked my cpu to 3.0ghz easily! All you gotta do is go to the bios, set your fsp to 333 x 9. Increase the voltage on what you can a little of each one, and it should run fine! Vista is blazing now lol

What are your rig specs. In particular, your motherboard. Kinda hard to help if you don't tell us what BIOS you're running. Let us know.

my bios is"phoenix technology, LTD 6.00 PG 3/15/08
my rig is -EVGA 790i ultra
-BFG 9800GX2
-stock Q6600
-4GB DDR3 533mhz (from cpuz)
-windows XP SP3 32bt

set FSB 333

done.

Pretty much.

Post a screenshot of CPUz and Coretemp running. If you have a Q6600 from a good batch and a lower VID, you may even be able to undervolt it a bit in order to get even lower temeratures. What kind of cooling are you using on that quad btw?
And turn off C1E in your CPU Config in BIOS. This will help you get a better handle on how your voltage and temperatures are going to behave after you overclock. Otherwise your machine will be switching back and forth from x9 to x6.

For example:
newcooling30ghz12vcorelqt4.png

You can see a few things in the Coretemp window, mainly the VID of your CPU. The batch# will be on the bottom of the box.
In the CPUID(Everest, CPUZ) you can see I've done the same thing that Guv had suggested, set the FSB to 333MHz.
Along with this, I've gone into CPU and RAM Config. in BIOS and switched the RAM to run Unlinked at 1066, while the quadpumped FSB is set to 1333MHz(333x9). Your BIOS will automatically set a divider of 8:5 to take care of things.
As you can see, I was blessed with a decent chip (one of the L737B Batch) and I am actually able to run a VCore of 1.2000v, which is well below the VID of 1.265v.

To start out with though, since your just new at this, I would certainly suggest setting your Vcore to something like 1.3v(or see if it sparks up at your stock voltage), do some prime testing on smaff fft's for a few hours to make sure it's stable(actually you want a 24Hr prime test to ensure stability), but if it fires up windows and runs prime you are headed in the right direction. Then, start bumping down your VCore in small increments(maybe .025v) each time doing a few hours of prime95. Once you've reached the voltage where you are no longer stable in prime95, bump it back up to the last stable voltage and do your 24Hr test. It worked for me, and it really helps with keeping your core temperatures low on hot summer days.

so io should just turn off c1e in my bios and set the fsb to 333? its watercooled btw.

so io should just turn off c1e in my bios and set the fsb to 333? its watercooled btw.

oh no, watercooling requires a whole seperate kinda overclock..
seriously.
you gotta turn it on first. (very important) then get to your bios screen.. Then disable C1E, Set your Multiplier to 9, and set the FSB to 333. Make sure Adjust your ram divider to get the most out of your ram, and be sure to lock your pci clock to 100

also, never heard of ddr3 533.. Could that be SEVERELY underclocked ddr3 1066?

so i turn on to bios, disable c1e, fsb to 333, but how do i get the ram divider
?, and if i lock the pci clock to 100, will it affect graphics card?

locking your pci freq to 100 and your pcie to 133 prevents graphics problems..

I'm not familiar with your bios enough to tell you where the ram settings are, but they're important, otherwise you can end up running ram out of spec and causing stability issues

edit: I want one of the team 32 member titles, i've been folding for 32 since i started lurking here

MARCI, you're confusing me even. I hate to think what is going through noobert's mind. He's just trying to overclock his quad to 3GHz. A very simple procedure as we just got done telling him. Baby steps with the whole PCIe thing, he hasn't even got done figuring out how to set a FSB clock yet. And 533 is 1066. He's just reading the base RAM frequency from CPUz.
Noobert, I assume you have a DC pump? Therefore it turns on when you hit the Mobo power button. There is ABSOLUTELY no difference btw and air overclock and a liquid cooled overclock other than you might be able to clock a little higher on water. The methodology does not change.

edit: I want one of the team 32 member titles, i've been folding for 32 since i started lurking here
Go to userCP/group memberships. If you are part of Team32 there should be an option to display yourself as such.

Yes, disable C1E[CPU Config], set multi to x9[System Clocks], change DRAM Setting to Unlinked, set FSB to 1333(333x9), then right underneath set your DRAM to 1066(533x2)[FSB & RAM Config]. The divider (in this case 8:5) is automatically set depending on what you choose for those two values. Remember to head over to the voltage section of the BIOS and make sure you are going to have sufficient Vcore to run the 3GHz overclock on your CPU. It should run 3GHz on stock voltage, but might as well bump it up to 1.3 just to take the VCore factor out of the equation.
Then just do what I suggested in my previous post. It should be a relatively simple process.

Last edited:
well, i see c1e, and my multi is already at 9, but i dont see Dram and i cant select 333mhz for FSB and i cant seem to get anything on DRAM at all.

Yes by default, C1E should be on, you have to disable it. And yes, Multi should default to x9.
You don't set the FSB at 333. You have to set the quad pumped number which is 1333(9x333) as I said b4. For a 400 FSB you would set 1600 etc.
You have to set the Memory Clock Mode to "unlinked" first b4 you can actually set a frequency for the RAM itself, otherwise it will stay grey and unchangeable.
The specific BIOS categories you are looking for are under the "Advanced Chipset Features" main category on the first screen. From there, the remaining BIOS categories you will be dealing with are illustrated in this thread. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=273441

Last edited:
MARCI, you're confusing me even. I hate to think what is going through noobert's mind. He's just trying to overclock his quad to 3GHz. A very simple procedure as we just got done telling him. Baby steps with the whole PCIe thing, he hasn't even got done figuring out how to set a FSB clock yet. And 533 is 1066. He's just reading the base RAM frequency from CPUz.

Bad, Yeah, I realize looking back my smartass comment about 'a whole different process' were inappropriate, But The PCI and PCI-E locks are pretty important, no? Or does that bios not raise them out of spec when the FSB is changed?

Not that I know of MARCI, to be honest that's the first I've heard of it.

That being said, the PCIx locks may be important, I certainly don't know all there is to know about BIOS. All I know is that I have never been told about it, read about it, or had to change anything. Is it something more important with ATI cards perhaps? That may be why I've never had to do it.

oh no, watercooling requires a whole seperate kinda overclock..
seriously.
you gotta turn it on first. (very important) then get to your bios screen.. Then disable C1E, Set your Multiplier to 9, and set the FSB to 333. Make sure Adjust your ram divider to get the most out of your ram, and be sure to lock your pci clock to 100

also, never heard of ddr3 533.. Could that be SEVERELY underclocked ddr3 1066?

you don't need to change your multiplier, leave it and put the FSB to 333 - 3Ghz guaranteed, just disable c1e

Back