• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You have got to be kidding me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's not likely that it's bluing the core. If it were chrome... maybe. :D

The most likely thing is it's just the normal color of the CPU die. Like I mentioned in my first post. It's part of the process of polishing the CPU. You can't remove it without messing up the CPU.

Please, post the temperatures you're getting from idle and load. That will give people an idea of how bad your temps are.

Well right now it is 72 F...Just got in so she has just been here stitting...MBM 5 sezzz 35 C...Lain-Li temperature monitor sezzz, 35.6...BIOS sezzzz 36 C.

Usually I keep it about 68 F ambient...72 when I am away from the house...That is with the multipler @ 13.5X and the voltage +.25 V.

Tired of playing with this 2800...Time to try the other one. This one will post and go into Windows @ 14.5X 1.775 but will not make a full pass of PC Mark 2002...Seezzzz "Windows lost focus"...Oh well maybe this other one will clock better...They are both 0320's, so I am not going to hold my breath.

Hummm...Dont know how flashing the BIOS will help...It has been a couple of months since I flashed this NF7-S.

This is what started this whole thread.

Link

You will notice the old TIM is all over the core and around it. Spray the solvent (carburetor cleaner) onto your cloth and rub the die to remove the thermal pad. The solvent is used to help dissolve the TIM and let you rub it away. If there is any around the die, use a Q-Tip to clean that up.

The "Spray the solvent (carburetor cleaner) onto your cloth and rub the die to remove the thermal pad" These are the words that kicked me back into newbie land...Thinking I did not know to remove a thermal pad that does not exsist.

If you look at the pic on the bottom left hand corner of the core it appears like maybe there is a thermal pad that is being lifted on that corner.

Upon closer examination...That must be the TIM and not a thermal pad being lifted.

It made me think that there was a thermal pad on AMD processors' that I have been leaving on since my first box.

And possilbly why my temps are not as good as guys with a setup very much like mine.
:eek:

Last edited:
There isn't any type of thermal pad on the amd processors. Chances are your poor temperatures are related to bad airflow or needing to lap your heatsink.

I think you are protesting too much! You have 36C at idle I presume - what the hell is wrong with that? Oh and you mentioned what you read - it said "rub the DIE to remove.." are you talking about the die or the core?

Hook'm
which version of bios are yourunning on your nf7-s?
Abits boards have always been known to under report its temps...
I"ve got bios 20 on mine. and have tried them all. each one gives out a different temp reading. The only probable true reading would be toget one of them temp probes and get it close to the cpu core without interfering with your heatsink. Also, i've used both AS5, AS3 and AS ceramic pastes from artic silver. AS5 seems to work best for me. I also have a tornado 92mm fan blowing @119CFM on that SLK-900 which contributes to the low temps.

Spray the solvent (carburetor cleaner) onto your cloth and rub the die to remove the thermal pad

Those are the words I am talking about...Note "rub the die to remove the thermal pad"

My SLK-800 is lapped...Only went to 1200...But a mirror finish for sure.

And the Enermax 80 is running as fast as its little feet will let it.

And in my previous post I listed three temperatures...That of the BIOS...MBM 5 and the Lian-Li T-4 temperature monitoring rack that is installed in one of the 5.25" bays of my box.

Temps between the three are usually very close...The Lian-Li temps take off when benching...Will usually run 2 to 3 degrees C above the MBM 5 temps until about the 4th or 5th loop.

The Lian-Li also drops temp reading much quicker than MBM 5 after returning to idle.

I can only assume that the temps I am reporting have to be fairly accurate...3 different reading's, within 1 C once the box is looping or back at idle.

Last edited:
That link refers to a retail cpu that comes with a stock HSF not an OEM. The Thermal pad (they have used the wrong semantics here in that the liquid TIM has formed a pad rather than it is a pad itself) merely refers to the TIM used on the retail cpu as clearly shown in the picture there is absolutely no pad on it.

Hookem said:

Those are the words I am talking about...Note "rub the die to remove the thermal pad"

My SLK-800 is lapped...Only went to 1200...But a mirror finish for sure.

And the Enermax 80 is running as fast as its little feet will let it.

And in my previous post I listed three temperatures...That of the BIOS...MBM 5 and the Lian-Li T-4 temperature monitoring rack that is installed in one of the 5.25" bays of my box.

Temps between the three are usually very close...The Lian-Li temps take off when benching...Will usually run 2 to 3 degrees C above the MBM 5 temps until about the 4th or 5th loop.

The Lian-Li also drops temp reading much quicker than MBM 5 after returning to idle.

I can only assume that the temps I am reporting have to be fairly accurate...3 different reading's, within 1 C once the box is looping or back at idle.
Of course the temps between the three are close, they are the same sensor!

Actually, 36ºC idle isn't that bad. I have seen temps much worse than that posted in sigs around the forums. If I remember correctly, when I was on air, I idled in the mid 30's as well and went to the mid to upper 40's under full load.
The purple hue you see is common with AMD cpu's both of my 1700's are like that.
A few suggestions would be to check your heatsink to make sure it isn't getting clogged with dust. When I was on air, I cleaned mine once a month. Also make sure your case fans are oriented in such a way as to provide good air exchange between outside air and case air. Also make sure your airflow in the case isn't restricted by IDE or floppy cables, etc.
Finally, you may look into water cooling. While a high end w/c system can be expensive, you would notice a happy decrease in temps with even a moderate setup.
I wouldn't look down on your temps too much. There are probably lots of people out there who would give their eye teeth to have 36 idle with an overclock.

My case should be good to go...I have replace all the 80's in the case with NMB 92's from Directron. With a 80m/m blowhole on the way as soon as I can get my drill and hole saw back.

I am running Vantec rounded cables.

Sleeved the power supply.

Resonably clean install...Looks good to me anyway.

Of course the temps between the three are close, they are the same sensor!

I agree the BIOS and MBM 5 are on the same sensor.

But the Lian-Li's temperature probe off the "compu-nurse" is mounted between the processor and heat sink.

I know alot of guys do not like the "compu-nurses" for temps...I put them in all my box's...One sensor on the processor and one on the GPU.

Seems you guy's think my temps are good.

And more importantly to me, anyway is I am not tripping thinking that there is a thermal pad on the core of AMD processors.

Thanks for all the reply's...I try to build my stuff to the best of my ability...Leaving no stone unturned...I will post some pics tomorrow...Thanks again!!!!

Last edited:
The enemy of Good is - Better. :D

I didn't mean to spam, but I just thought of that when I saw your temps. You're doing fine.

Hookem,

I had the same problem as you with my new 2600+ Barton. My temps were insane even at stock with my SK6+ and 80mm Panaflo at 50CFM.

Finally I had enough and got an SLK 900A and a Vantec 92mm Tornado, and my troubles were over, but the noise was insane. I could not concentrate on anything with that thing blairing in my ears. I volt modded it to 7 volts and that only raised my CPU temps .5 Degrees celcius and it is much quieter now

Temps at 12volts:
30 degrees Celcius at idle
40 degrees Celcius at prime for 4 hours@ 2.4 GHz
Temps at 7 Volts:
30 Degrees@ idle
40.5-41 degrees@ prime for 4 hours@ 2.4 GHZ

So IMHO you need a better HSF combo and I think this setup I have is the BEST BANG for Buck right now:D

Just my 2 cents though. I hpe that provides some incite for you though

Hookem said:
My case should be good to go...I have replace all the 80's in the case with NMB 92's from Directron. With a 80m/m blowhole on the way as soon as I can get my drill and hole saw back.

I am running Vantec rounded cables.

Sleeved the power supply.

Resonably clean install...Looks good to me anyway.

I agree the BIOS and MBM 5 are on the same sensor.

But the Lian-Li's temperature probe off the "compu-nurse" is mounted between the processor and heat sink.

I know alot of guys do not like the "compu-nurses" for temps...I put them in all my box's...One sensor on the processor and one on the GPU.

Seems you guy's think my temps are good.

And more importantly to me, anyway is I am not tripping thinking that there is a thermal pad on the core of AMD processors.

Thanks for all the reply's...I try to build my stuff to the best of my ability...Leaving no stone unturned...I will post some pics tomorrow...Thanks again!!!!
Ah, I see I posted in haste and was incorrect. I assumed that the probe he was referring to was a piece of software, like asus probe. I'm sorry if I confused anyone with my incorrect assumption.

I had the same problem as you with my new 2600+ Barton. My temps were insane even at stock with my SK6+ and 80mm Panaflo at 50CFM.

Now I know what to do with the SK6+'s I have...Take the Y.S Tech TMD fan adapters off from SVC, and put 80m/m fans on them...

The TMD fan... Made me replace the SLK6+, Y.S. Tech combo, with CoolerMaster X-Dreams on some of the box's I have floating around out there.

The TMD fans were raising all kinds of hell.

Even the much ballyhooded Vantec AeroFlow on the Fast4 is going to have to go because of the TMD fan.

Back