• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

you think this power supply is ok???please help /quickly. thanks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it does sound like it may be your ps causeing problems with your comp. if you can't afford a enermax or antec, i would say to go for it. and $25 is a good price for a 400w ps.
so if it were me, i would probably go for it..

for 46 bucks you can get a refurb enermax 350 watt from newegg, that includes shipping. For 25 you can get a 350 watt Enhance refurb.

I'd definitely take either of those before the one on ebay.

nihili

***edit*** There's also a compucase 350 watt for 29 shipped. At least with Newegg you're dealing with a known company and a great return policy if anything turns out substandard. Here's a link to the refurb PSUs.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=58&Type=Refurbish

nihili said:
for 46 bucks you can get a refurb enermax 350 watt from newegg, that includes shipping. For 25 you can get a 350 watt Enhance refurb.

I'd definitely take either of those before the one on ebay.

nihili

I would second that. Go with Newegg.

catman25 said:
can i trust refurb???

From newegg you probably can. They have a reputation about being good with returns. In any case read their warranty policy on refurbs and compare it to the warranty you'd be getting on ebay. In generaly I prefer high quality refurb equipment to no-name new equipment.

nihili

went to newwegg and cant find what your saying?can you please give me link

thanks for link ..didnt even see refurb ..lol.. well they are outa stock of enermax.. is enhance any good ??worth giving up a 400 watt for same price???enermax is god so what is enhance???garbage man???and is 350 watt enuff???this is my specs. msi k7t turbo
xp+1700@1700(lol)
pc 133 (396mb)
geforce 2 ti
i cold cathode l;amp (uv)
i sound activated 12 inch neon light
cd writer,cdrom
dragon orb 3 cpu @38c case at 24c
i blow hole top
1 suck hole from(double fan)
i fan blowing in rear
2 chipset fans
3 harddrive fans
yeah 40 gigger maxtor drive
i have glow in dark dots on fan fins so when uv light is on it looks like a led modded fan .. cheap and cool errier looking . any questions please ask...this is what my current power supply has to offer

powertech 300 watt
+3.3=14a
+5=30a
+12=12a
+3.3&=5+165watt (max of coarse)
this is what pc alert 3 says
voltage vcore 1.81v
voltage0.38v
+5v=4.95
+3.3=3.43
+12=12.30
does that seem like a ps problem???didnt really have problem till i switch cpu's ??does xpo draw more than athlon thunderbird???had a 1 gigger @1400 and no problems.thanks every one

One of the nice things about Newegg's pages is that they include a product link to the Manufacturer's site. Here's a link to the page for the Enhance PSU.

http://www.enhanceusa.com/atx12v.htm

The PSU is the ENP-0735

According to that page, the specs are

3.3V 5V 12V -5Vsb 3.3+5
28A 30A 15A 2.0A 220W

Enhance *seems* to be decent. I've read that several people are satisfied with them, and don't recall any horror stories. I've got an enhance 250W which is fine, not outstanding, but fine.

However, keep your eye on Newegg's refurbs. They often have Enermax, Antec, and Sparkle for great prices. If you can wait a while, you'll probably see what you want come around.

I don't know if you've got a power problem, I'll leave that to other folx to answer. But I wouldn't buy an el cheapo 400W from ebay when I could buy a name brand refurb from newegg and still stay in my budget.

nihili

Way back in September, before I started coming here, I bought a power supply from Ebay, a generic 400 watt, to replace my generic 235 watt. It came to about $40.00 shipped, which seemed like a good deal at the time. After I had it, and I started coming here, I began to wonder about how good of a deal it really was. I started digging, and found a place, www.sofistic.com that had the exact same one, (by model number) that I had bought for $13.00! I still don't reccomend it, at a fairly modest overclock the +5 is down to 4.79. Live and learn.

can any body help me determine the cause of my problems... i tested mem.how can i find ..????any software to test ps???

catman25 said:
can any body help me determine the cause of my problems... i tested mem.how can i find ..????any software to test ps???

Well so far we don't know much about your problems other than that you're getting reboots. Can you tell us more about when they occur? What exactly happens?

Try turning off all the uneccessary stuff for a while. Ditch the lights and the extra HD fans. Unplug one or both of your CDs. Turn off all of the case fans you can without going above 50C. Does that solve your problem or at least change it somewhat?

You're using PC ALert 3 to track your voltages. Will it tell you what the highs and lows are over an extended period? If not, then get MBM5 and set it to update every second. Run it for several hours while you're using your computer and then look at the high and low voltages, how are they?

The voltages you reported looked fine. But it's hard to know exactly what's going on from a single glance. The best thing is to calculate up how many watts your stuff uses. I don't know the formula for that offhand, but if you hunt around someone will know.

If none of this turns up anything, you may be having other problems. Try posting in the AMD motherboards section and seeing if anyone there has an idea.

keep us posted

nihili

ok this is a new harddrive cause my other one bit the dust ..so its kinda a new install...have you heard of edonkey??? well when you start it up ot hashes files to be downloaded .. cause this is a new install im downloading like mad...so couple seconds into it it reboots ..or sometimes when im playing tiger woods online it will reboot...i tested mem with sisandra soft ...and no lock ups or reboots???could it be xp cpu???hmmmm...ill take your advise and shut every thing off...i thing i notice...lets say i reboot and start donkey and it reboots itself...and it may take a couple times before it gets all the way through starting donkey ..but once its done it rock solid...like 1 time it will be underpowered then when it reboots its perfectly fine .. kinda hard to describe sorry

Ok, watch your voltages while you run edonkey and see if they fluctuate.

But it's interesting that the reboots only occur while your doing online stuff. Do you do any other heavy duty online stuff? Try playing some other online games and seeing if you get the reboots. Or do something else that uses a lot of bandwidth. Also, try doing something that doesn't use the net but that pegs your cpu at full load. What happens then?

Given your description I'm inclined to think that it's not a power problem. That's just a gut reaction, but you should be testing your system by using it in different ways and seeing if you can isolate when the reboots occur.

some stuff i failed to mention.. i have ran sisandra soft burn in test 150 times at 100 percent use and no reboots .. when i reboot all my leds on my motherboard stay red and i have to press reset to get it to boot??sorry i failed to delive that info ...gonna try to different stuff... right now im tracking edonkey use brb

catman25 said:
some stuff i failed to mention.. i have ran sisandra soft burn in test 150 times at 100 percent use and no reboots .. when i reboot all my leds on my motherboard stay red and i have to press reset to get it to boot??sorry i failed to delive that info ...gonna try to different stuff... right now im tracking edonkey use brb

Ok, this is sounding less and less like a PSU problem to me. I suggest you start a thread in the MSI motherboard area and see if they can help you out. Those LED's sound like they should mean something.

nihili

edonkey runs cpu at 95-100 % full load for 5 minutes and +5 goes down to 4.93v... ill heed your advice and move to motherboard ... thank you .and sorry i took your time

catman25 said:
edonkey runs cpu at 95-100 % full load for 5 minutes and +5 goes down to 4.93v... ill heed your advice and move to motherboard ... thank you .and sorry i took your time

LOL

No need to apologize, that's what we're here for. I only suggest you hit the MSI board because they're more likely to be able to help you. I've never owned an MSI board. 4.93 is fine btw. The purists grump if it gets below 4.95 but while it might cause occassionaly instability, it won't likely reboot your machine. My 5v hovers around 4.85 at full load. I'm not happy about that. But it works.

Good luck

nihili

Back