• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Power Supply or Bad Pump? Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anhikilator

Team,

I had the following issue :bang head. I was playing a game when suddenly the computer restarts. It starts to run the standard repair processes when I see back smoke coming out of the back of the computer and that funny burnt smell. I disconnected the power immediately and removed the video cards. Tried to turned it back for a second and black smoke again.

I initially thought that the power supply went bad and it's already on the way to seasonic RMA but later, I brought my seasonic x-650 from work and tried to replace all the connectors to make sure nothing else was damaged.

After connecting everything, computer won't start. Not even a light in the motherboard. Doing some basic troubleshooting I realize the after disconnecting the power of the H220 pump, computer comes back up. I remove the heatsink/pump and inspect it closely.

I realize that burnt smells comes from the joint of the wire and the pump enclosure plus a little of burnt wire there too.

My question is, did the power supply go bad and screwed my pump, or the pump was the only issue and the I mistakenly sent the PS to RMA? I'd like to make sure if I should RMA the h220 to Swiftech or discuss this with Seasonic due to the PS problem :shrug:.

I've also attached two pictures of the visible part of the burnt cable :facepalm:.

Thanks in advance,

Ank.

Attachments

• 20140326_094202.jpg
    20140326_094202.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20140326_094259.jpg
    20140326_094259.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 27
Update:

I've contacted Swiftech and they told me the system is currently under revision, it seems that they've gone through this already. I'm in the RMA process but they told me already this could take at least 2 weeks. If you read some of my previous posts, I was a proud and happy user of the H220. After 1 years and a month and 2 broken units, I'm starting to believe I made the wrong choice. Depending on what Swiftech does this time, I may go back to air for a while.

I may have sent the power supply to seasonic for nothing, so it will be $25 to get it back :(

Anyways, system is working fine, I set back the OC settings and installed stock cooler. Do you guys think I can handle my system with a 650 watts with NO OC until I get my PS back?

Thanks,

Ank.

Anyways, system is working fine, I set back the OC settings and installed stock cooler. Do you guys think I can handle my system with a 650 watts with NO OC until I get my PS back?

Yes.

Back