• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You will need to provide Administrator Permission to change these settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
"You will need to provide Administrator Permission to change these settings."
warning message is something that comes up often even with User Account Control turned off.

EDIT: Solution is to go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and change the value of key EnableLUA to 0

I don't ever see it on my machine because I am logged in with the real Administrator account, not an account with Administrator privileges.

On Windows 8 laptop I am using temporarily, you can't run apps if you are logged in with the real Administrator account. Only when logged in with a user account with Admin privileges.

But then I get these annoying interruptions, can they be turned off? UAC is already off.

Attachments

• AccessDenied.png
    AccessDenied.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 18,261
Last edited:
If you right click and 'Run-As' administrator it wont prompt you. From that point on that application shouldn't be a problem if you are logged in with admin rights.

Just to be sure UAC is off

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Under User Account and Family settings click on the "Add or remove user account".

3. Click on one of the user accounts, for example you can use the Guest account.

4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.

5. Under "Make changes to your user account" click on the "Change security settings" link.

6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.

7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so when ready.

The reason I didn't notice this before is because I always used a single REAL admin account on Windows. This had no cons (other than security) when installing programs under Windows 7, but Windows 8 will not install Apps under REAL admin acct. Only under a User Account (with Administrator privileges.)

So that's why copy-paste operations on C drive pop up admin warnings even when UAC is off.

Poster above is absolutely correct that right click > Run as Admin does not result in warning. The question is how to permanently disable it other than using the REAL admin account as described below. Because I found out the hard way that it has limitations under Windows 8.

Attachments

• RealAdmin.png
    RealAdmin.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 17,358
By simply clicking on Continue, copy/paste operations are being executed after Administrator warning pops up.

The question is, is there a setting that permanently disables this nag on Windows 8 laptops?

Basically, only by right clicking on a program and running them as Administrator, only then can you execute operations on files without being prevented by these nags.

Copy-Pasting on C: and on External Hard Drive.

In the Group Policy editor--> Computer Configuration--> Windows Settings--> Security Settings--> Local Policies--> Security Options, what are the current security settings for ...

User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode

User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation

User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode

So the assumption is that people know how to get to GPE, even if they have Pro? :)

It's a Windows 8 Laptop, so gpedit.msc is not there. Can I check in registry? It sounds like that would be the solution to this problem.

redduc900, I am overseas with limited to no internet on this laptop.

This is not a big deal, but I would be interested in figuring this out because I will not have the laptop when I come back, so I can only test while here. I can read what you post but not do extensive searches on how to locate what you proposed inside Windows 8 registry. As pictured, the UAC is completely off. If your suggestion is correct, this would mean that the UAC being completely OFF does not always turn off all UAC features.

So posting where exactly in registry UAC settings need to be turned off would be a useful thing to know. So I sure would appreciate if anyone can do a search for this, since I have limited amount of time to use internet at the moment.

Ah c627627, I know that feeling all too well of being overseas with limited internet.

Quick google search says this is how you disable UAC in the registry on Windows 8.

Code:
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Key: EnableLUA

Value data: 0

This thread might be useful too.

http://www.alltechtalk.net/forum/thread-bypass-windows-8-uac-while-keeping-metro

If you can't access it, let me know and I'll copy and paste for you.

I get the same thing on Windows 8.
I really hate any permission issues and they make me want to throw my computer out of the window. It's like, how dare you tell me what I can do with my machine? Just pisses me off.

So I do this. (I do it anyway on all of my machines regardless of OS)

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy

Go to the folder "Local Policies"

Click on "User Rights Assignment" as to activate it

under "policy" near the top there should be "Act as part of the Operating System"

double click said entry

add user or group

type your account's name into the box

check names, it should fix it so it's correctly pathed out

ok, and then apply, and then restart.

My favorite discovery, ever.

The poster above you provided the single reg entry that resolves this issue.

Since many laptops use non pro version of Windows 8 there is no group policy editor in their control panel. Registry is the only way and we know now which key to change. So interestingly the old way of turning it off does not really turn it off on these laptops.

C627627, did you look at that second link I posted? Apparently doing that registry hack does not allow you to run metro apps. There are additional steps to circumvent that.

Ah, the reg does what enabling the real Admin account does.

OK. Well, the single reg accomplished the goal of relief from nags, when I come back, I look forward to reading the link and writing down in my notes how to do this and keep the option of installing Metro apps, which I don't need at the moment.

Thank you for an excellent and easy answer for what I needed!

P.S. You can travel this entire world and not find better and quicker help than from you guys at ocforums.

I am still not back to check out your links in more detail but after you execute that reg edit, nags go away but look what happens when you try to open a file w/o associated program - instead of asking you which program you want to use to open a file extension, you get:

Attachments

• UACno.png
    UACno.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 16,899
I am still not back to check out your links in more detail but after you execute that reg edit, nags go away but look what happens when you try to open a file w/o associated program - instead of asking you which program you want to use to open a file extension, you get:

It's probably related to that link. I just tried it to see what opens up, and it may be related to the Metro not working.

Attachments

• Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 17,017
Back