• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your opinion; Best Heatsink fan combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryanzbane

I'm building a new computer and would like a heatsink that will keep me under 45c OC'd under load. Was wondering what everyones thoughts on the best Heatsink/fan combo was (Post your CPU Temps!).

New Cpu: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton"
Old Cpur: AMD Athlon XP 1900+ "Palomino"

Any slk heatsink will do fine, they are in the $30-$40 range. Currently the best is the sp-94. but its almost $50.

SP 97 plus 92mm panaflo gets my vote

i think thats also what yuriman meant, but the sp94 is for intels, but you have an amd :D. also the sp97 will spank that slk 947:D

Yes get exactly what simpleman just posted. But make sure your mobo can support the hs/f. Mine doesnt so i will be getting the SLK-900A which is just as good

So should I get a SLK-947U SOCKET COOLER or an SP-97??? I havn't heard many good things about the SP-97...than again I havn't looked extremely hard.

Which should I get, and why?

sp 97 because its better :D, read reviews man. if you can afford it def get the sp 97 if you are looking for price and performance get an slk 900 cause its not much different than a 947.

and just trust me the sp 97 is better than the 947. the difference is that the sp 97 has heatpipes and the others do not. the sp 94 is the champ of all air heatsinks for intel cpus and the sp 97 is just the amd version.

Anyone with an SP-97 have some cpu temps they can give me? Anyone with an SLK? Just so I can compare price/performance.

Also...anyone have a link to a vendor that sells an sp-97?

I just got an SLK 947U

I just received my SLK 947U. with a 92mm Volcano fan (it is loud, but I dont care about that right now)...I had to mod the metal attachment plate to fit my motherboard..it wasn't too hard thanx to some great folks here that told me how to do it...so my temps after running a burn in for 2 hours then cooling it down by idel are currently sitting at 32 (motherboard), 36 (CPU), and 34 (power supply). During the burn in my cpu temp never crept above 39 centigrade!!! I am very pleased..because just before doing this my idel temps were 36, 43, 40 respectively...I also used AS5 this time...before I was stock AMD heatsink and fan with thermal pad......So it made a big difference for me!

Back