• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your ram preference? fast or slow+OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

I'm just sitting by the fire and wanted to ask everyone here..
When it comes to Ram, do you...
  • buy fast ram
  • buy slow ram and overclock it
  • buy fast ram and overcok it even further
  • buy slow ram and keep it stock(really?)

Ram being more expensive than usual, I figured it's a real struggle and wanted to know how you guys get by in these rough times..

Here's what I do:
I usually buy slower ram and then overclock it as far as I need it for my iverclock. Makes it more adventurous while overclocking, but nothing puts a smile on my face more than prime hugging along without bsids on a good overclok :)

Fire is warm by the way:)

Wish I could make a poll...

Decided to add photo
Cheers
View attachment 195953

Last edited:
Buy fast ram... but if i was in the market right now, id buy slower and overclock it. Pricing is out of control right now.

RAM all depends on what IC's you get. If you want to get high speeds, you need the good IC's from Samsung for DDR4.

My RAM was under $100 when I bought it a little over a year ago. Newegg doesn't have it and Amazon has my kit for $264 right now. https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Trid...5&sr=8-9&keywords=G.Skill+Trident+Z+DDR4+3000 I wish I had gotten faster out of the box, but I'm pretty happy with the way it OCs right now. Given the choice again, I'd just get something stupid fast in the first place-then try to OC it. LOL

edit: newegg has C15-16-16-35 for $175, so C14-14-14 would probably be at $190 or so if the had any. Yikes.

Don't know what I'd do if buying today. Historically I've gone for whatever is cheapest rated around the 3000 mark, as you don't really save much going slower, but you do start to pay more if you want much faster.

If you like to bench Nice ram is a must ( or cheep ram that you know overclocks like crazy) , back in the FSB clocking days it was a easy way to know for sure that your ram won't be holding you back .
The way things are now and you are just a casual bencher/gamer middle of the road is good enough . In my 24/7 use I see very little difference with fast ram vs mid rage.
If I were buying today I would prob get TridentZ 3200 for intel or AMD .

I understand
When I was looking for ram not too long ago, due to existing stick borkness. There was an auction for mushkin black16gb 1600, which I got really excited about and jumped in. Kept bidding until $60 and then dropped out. At the end, those sticks went for like $200.. so while shopping around, found mushling silver 1333 8gb and jumped on it. I was the only one to bid and it was like 2 minutes til end. Scored the daeal 33+3shipping.

I mean what I'm tying to say is I wouldn't mind a good set of sticks, but when price is out of range, I have no problem sttling for rgilars.

Removed.
Last part belongs in the other thread, I forgot I'm still here when I continued to type]

Last edited:
Back