• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 Deluxe nightmare !!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monsieur_cedric

Intel i5-6600k
Asus Z170 Deluxe
G.Skills Ripjaws V 3200 4x4go
MSI Gtx980
Samsung 850 EVO
Corsair H60
win 10pro x64

Hi overclockers,
First time I post on this forum. Just got all these new components and it's driving me nuts...

First of all, rebooting takes very long, but most of the time, the computer just keeps rebooting, with a black screen. i have to turn it completely off and restart to see the boot screen. Then is takes me to the American Megatrends screen with an error message saying something like "overclocking error, press f1 to run setup". The problem is I haven't tried to overclock anything (yet).... So, when I go to the BIOS, I can't really find anything weird... If I click the boot option and I click on my OS drive, it actually boots. But I can't use the computer for a very long until I get an error message (see attached pic). The error messages are always different...And the, I have to restart it, and I am back to square one (infinity of reboots with black screen, turn off, wait, restart, overclock error, bios....).... One thing I noticed: the second time I boot the computer, it shows "overclock 25%" on the boot screen, despite I didn't overclock anything. I had to turn the TPU off in the bios to make it disappear... Please HELP, otherwise I'll have to return the mobo and the rest....

Thanks in advance.

2015-10-22 15.42.35.jpg

Pull the battery out of the motherboard for 10 mins to reset the CMOS, and see if that helps. is this is a brand new build or was it working before and has developed this issue?

We can consider it brand new, I just replaced mobo, processor, memory and cooling system today....
I forgot to mention that I installed all the updates from the support section of the Z170 Deluxe. It didn't work before installing them, and still doesn't work after.

Now that I am back home, I can add a few things:
- When it boots and shows the American Megatrends screen, the mobo is showing the code 99
- When it reboots and just shows a black screen, code 55
- In the BIOS, it says my memory is 2133mhz.... but it's 3200!
So I am now going to try different memory configutrations

Memory modules often don't detect the frequency (speed) setting if it's something other than a JEDEC approved speed with approved timings. So, it showing 2133MHz even though the sticks themselves are rated at 3200MHz is not unusual.

You may need to enable an XMP profile to get your memory to run at rated speed and timings, or perhaps set them manually.

I'm inclined to believe this is a borked BIOS chip or bios version, or defective motherboard. Since this sounds like it's a brand new build.

Though it could also be a RAM-related problem. I've had issues in the past with RAM resulting in boot loops, power cycling, and black screens. Sometimes that resulted from me having the stick (or sticks) in the wrong slots (if I had two sticks, or just one), or sometimes it was because I had improper timings set in the BIOS.

Could also be faulty RAM slots/DIMM slots.

Try booting up with memory in slots B1 and B2 only and see what happens. Then try A1 and A2 only.

Apparently, Error Code 55 is for No Memory Detected.

Similar issues located here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1573170/asus-z170-deluxe-ram-issue-q-code-55-or-41

Last edited:
Is it a clean install of Windows 10 as well?

Yes, clean install.

- - - Updated - - -

Memory modules often don't detect the frequency (speed) setting if it's something other than a JEDEC approved speed with approved timings. So, it showing 2133MHz even though the sticks themselves are rated at 3200MHz is not unusual.

You may need to enable an XMP profile to get your memory to run at rated speed and timings, or perhaps set them manually.

I'm inclined to believe this is a borked BIOS chip or bios version, or defective motherboard. Since this sounds like it's a brand new build.

Though it could also be a RAM-related problem. I've had issues in the past with RAM resulting in boot loops, power cycling, and black screens. Sometimes that resulted from me having the stick (or sticks) in the wrong slots (if I had two sticks, or just one), or sometimes it was because I had improper timings set in the BIOS.

Could also be faulty RAM slots/DIMM slots.

Try booting up with memory in slots B1 and B2 only and see what happens. Then try A1 and A2 only.

Apparently, Error Code 55 is for No Memory Detected.

Similar issues located here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1573170/asus-z170-deluxe-ram-issue-q-code-55-or-41

You are absolutely right. Thanks. I bought two 2x4gb kits and one of them is defective.
Using only the good memory kit, I have tried it for a while and it works well. I only got an "Overclocking failed, press f1 to run set-up" message once.... On the boot screen, again, it shows "overclock25%", which is weird.
I will now return both memory kits, and I think I will just buy a 2x8gb 2133 to avoid any problems. I don't like the fact that you have to tweak the BIOS to get the memory working at the right speed.

I would start from updating BIOS to the latest version. It's really low chance that memory is broken. Higher chance is that motherboard can't read it right.
On ASUS Maximus series there is Maximus Tweak option which is solving issues with some memory kits but on "Classic" series boards there is no option like that. I'm not sure if Deluxe has something similar.
It will probably work when you play with timings but you paid for it to work, not to waste time on solving additional issues.

Last edited:
Its normal, in fact. With a board's BIOS at its default setting, it will load the JEDEC spec. It will not load the XMP profile automatically.

Back