• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 Thund. erbolt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XCeleratedPC

Registered
I dont understand this thunderbolt thing. I see a lot of the recomended boards around here come with or without thunderbolt is it woth the price or is it unecessary? Mainly Im looking at the Sabertooth and the ASRock Extreme6 leaning ASRock as much cheaper and seems well regarded but wondering if I should spring for the thunderbolt.

I wouldn't bother, I can't see it catching on in the long term. You should be fine with USB3.0

Has nothing to do with overclocking. It's a port for other tb enabled devices like monitors, external drives and even other pc's.

Thanks for youtube link. I am confused how this will work for monitors if I plug into thunderbolt port on board how does my gpu matter at that point?

If available it would likely use the iGPU built into the processor, not the video card.

Kinda what I was thinking which to me seems even more of a reason not to bother. The technology sounds interesting from a future standpoint but kinda reminds me of firewire back in the day. Interesting concept with potential that never really went to far.

Back