• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z87-A finding compataible Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Hey everyone, its me again.

I have choosin my Asus Z87-A mobo and 4670k cpu and am confused now on what ram to get. Most of the stuff on newegg does not show 4th gen compatible, only 2 and 3rd. Also what speed should I stick with 1600 or go higher or does the CL matter? I called Asus and they even confused me more. I searched the fourms and seen this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m1132X509988X61d551b880799b44f992a701268795f3 but does not show 4th gen

I was going to pick something like this up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550

Looking for 2x4gb for around $70, something pretty decent, thanks again you guys are the best.

Just about any will do. It does not need to state 4th gen compatible. Any DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v will work fine. If you are unsure, ASUS has a memory compatibility chart. Also note that memory not on the list will work. The list just means they tested it.

I would stick to 1600 or 1866, going past that won't ever be noticed during daily use.

From what i have been seeing with Haswell 1600 MHZ is the sweet spot for Ram and any higher is not too much of advantage!

From what i have been seeing with Haswell 1600 MHZ is the sweet spot for Ram and any higher is not too much of advantage!
That goes far beyond haswell. ;)

What you selected, N8, will work fine. I wouldnt go over 1866 surely. But likely stick at 1600Mhz personally. In my daily driver, I run DDR3 1600MHz. Just no need to pay more for no gains. :thup:

That goes far beyond haswell. ;)

What you selected, N8, will work fine. I wouldnt go over 1866 surely. But likely stick at 1600Mhz personally. In my daily driver, I run DDR3 1600MHz. Just no need to pay more for no gains. :thup:

ok thanks, would you recommended anything in the 1600mhz area then or pretty much anything will be good?

To me, the cheapest set that fits under your cooler, looks good, and its 1600-1866 CL9 1.5v. :)

Lower timings are better, but don't break the bank for them.

I have to imagine the Gskill site would tell you its dimensions... Same with the Noctua site for your cooler. That said, I have the Ares and the heatsinks are barely taller than the PCB they cover, so it should be ok. Please verify against their respective websites.

Link

32mm tall

Edit: It will, my Sniper RAM fits under the NH-D14 and its 42mm tall.

Link

32mm tall

Edit: It will, my Sniper RAM fits under the NH-D14.

Thanks you beat me to it. Its 1mm higher then my ram now so we should be good, however I clicked the QVL and it does not show the 1866 listed there, only the 1600 is under the QVL on the z87 asus. Hopefully that wont be an issue?

If you want 100%, go with the QVL. If you want 99%... go with anything else that will fit and in its voltage range.

Back