• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z87-A finding compataible Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are buying Z87 platform with new cpu then I think you wish to have something better than standard 1600 RAM inside especially that some higher clocked kits aren't much more expensive.
Maybe not cheapest but these are also interesting and low profile:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144639
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231665

Maybe month ago there were 1866/2133 team vulcan kits at quite tight timings for ~60-68$ but I can't see anything above 1600 now.

If you are buying Z87 platform with new cpu then I think you wish to have something better than standard 1600 RAM inside
Why? Is Haswell showing performance gains over 1600Mhz now versus other platforms that do not (at least, not a lot of performance).

Also, YHPM. :)

I don't know. I just have feeling that someone who buys new platform wishes to have something above standard. Also if you compare prices then many higher clocked kits cost the same as 1600. I don't think that $5 is so big issue here when someone spent $250 only on CPU.

That is a great point... But $5 in my pocket is $5 in my pocket. Perhaps I am too cheap, LOL!

^^ That was my feeling also and Haswell does not like faster ram than the 1600Mhz when overclocking from what I read here in the Haswell 3 step overclocking guide.

It can handle it, but will limit things on the extreme high end. For my reviews, I run 4.9Ghz 2400 CL11... But when pushing 6Ghz, I kept it at 1600MHz.. Im sure I can push more but, it is known to limit the CPU overclock at the extreme end of things, yes.

^^ That was my feeling also and Haswell does not like faster ram than the 1600Mhz when overclocking from what I read here in the Haswell 3 step overclocking guide.

I think that varry greatly with the chip, but i thoght it was just the really high speed above ddr3-2400 + that had problems as the closcks went up, mine does ddr3-2133 up to 4.9ghz

My quite bad 4770K works @4.5GHz with memory @1500MHz ( DDR3-3000 ).
Memory performance is going up with overclocking so anything below 2133 is fine for ~4GHz. Because of fast cache, haswell doesn't really need fast memory to perform good but using faster RAM results will be better ( just not as good as expected ;) ).

Considering the close prices, I'd go with the vendor with the best reputation for warranty support. Fast, hassle-free replacement in case of failure is priceless!

Back