• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z87 ITX Board. EVGA Stinger VS Asus I Deluxe Vs Impact.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

So I'm sort of stuck on this one...

EVGA Stringer Z87
Asus Z87 I Deluxe
Asus Impact

I won't be buying for a couple months or so when everything arrives and the campaign funded Lian Li M1 case is in production... But I'm curious as to how much the number of power phases REALLY matters in the grand scheme of things for a haswell CPU.

The EVGA stinger has what appears to be a 6+1 phase design (6 as per the website; but I see another next to the memory?). Whereas the Asus models have 8+2 (if I'm correct?) I'll be using a Corsair H60 SE (for now; potential for a swiftech H220 down the road; limited by case). With an i7 4770k. I'll be re-using my 8GB G Skill RAM in my sig. It's more a shoot-out between the Impact and the EVGA to match the RAM though... Haha.

But I'd like to know if 6 power phases is enough for a mild OC? Because of how hot haswell runs I won't expect to get more than 4.2ghz IF I'm lucky (probably 4ghz with the H60 SE). I don't need any fancy audio add-on; as I have an Audioengine D1 DAC anyway.. Meaning I'd be paying Asus extra for well; nothing. Unless the headphone amp on the Asus Impact is better than the headphone amp in my D1? (In which case I'd only use it for headphones; and keep my D1 for my speakers). And if I don't really NEED all the extra features and power the Impact gives me... Is the EVGA a better, simpler buy? The Asus board seems so crowded; but I've never used an EVGA board before and I'm very familiar with Asus's bios layout.

I realize the Asus models aren't released yet; but if anyone has any opinions it'd be greatly appreciated!

Number of phases has never been less important. With Haswell vrm is in chip so I would go with a board that meets your needs feature wise.

Haswell doesn't pull much power being an 84W chip, so the phases aren't that important, especially for 24/7 use.

Don't forget about ASRock's Z87E-ITX.

I like the Asus most... Only because I've always had Asus. Haha. But I like the simple evga layout. The asrock is available already at my local stores too.. Ugly board though. Crappy layout. Hahaha. I'm just picky. But good to know power phases really don't mean much for this platform.

Thanks for the replies. I'll still think about it.. Leaning toward the evga though.

Back