• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z97M OC Formula ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

Where are the reviews for this board?

I'm trying to pick an m-atx Z97 (not opposed to a z87m, either) mobo.

The formula is on sale at the egg for $120 (open box or with a rebate). Eh?

Last edited:
True... however...

It does fine for me and will be for his uses I would imagine. The guy isn't going sub ambient, right?

BUT if going subambient or if you need the onboard buttons, z87m is the better choice.

Will not be going sub-ambient. Any others I should look at in either Z87M or Z97M flavor?

Last edited:
Z97M = Z87M for overclocking and daily usage. The only difference is that Z87M has additional reset/power buttons and diagnostic display ( the one with error codes ) which is helping in overclocking ( more like saves time ).
Both boards are acting great with any DDR3 memory and are pretty well prepared for overclocking.
I was benching both on ss/dice and both are overclocking the same on sub ambient temps so the only thing which is different are these buttons/display.

Is that in reference to the Z87M and Z97M Formula boards, Woomack? Thanks

I just looked into more Z87M options. I'm now leaning toward the MSI Z87M Gaming. Reviews seem solid and the price is right. The only thing I don't like is the dragon :chair: :D
Here are the prices I'm looking at:

MSI Z87M Gaming: $80
Asrock Z87M OC Formula: $125
Asus Gene VI: $120
Asrock Z97M Formula: $120

If this is just for gaming and general overclocking, the MSI offering will be fine. I don't see a point in paying a premium for the other boards unless it has a feature set you want.

Cool. Went with the MSI. 2/3 the cost and should give me everything I need.

For anyone else interested, they're $80 (w/ a MIR) at newegg ATM.

Thanks

You'd pay double...........................why? That is also ATX and he is looking for mATX AFAIK...?

Link is for a matx,

yes I would , not a fan of the z97m ocf board, they just gutted it to much IMO

But again, if a z87m ocf is available it is a dominant matx board and my personal weapon of choice ..... lol

you know something is up when Nick is telling people not buy it

Haha, oops, it is mATX.

I still wouldn't pay double over the MSI for his uses, but, you and i and 'how we do'... we don't do it the same. :)

I'd be willing to bet he said stay away for extreme overclocking, not for daily driving though. It doesn't take much, and the z97m has it, to run Haswell to its ambient limits.

Both boards are acting great with any DDR3 memory and are pretty well prepared for overclocking.
I was benching both on ss/dice and both are overclocking the same on sub ambient temps so the only thing which is different are these buttons/display.
And I will be finding again soon enough if it can hack it. :)

You are probably right bro,

he took a lot of flack for that board, Don't think he was happy with what AsRock put out with his namesake on it.

Especially following up such a strong z87 matx effort

but I do agree , ambient baring total junk will do fine. I just get stuck sometimes thinking every body is going to beat the living daylights out of their stuff.

Don't really know why ?

Back