• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS7000-Cu to Vantec NXP-301 fan ctlr, not Fanmate2 for HSF rpm!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I have this Zalman CNPS7000-Cu cpu cooler
http://www.zalmanusa.com
(under orange Intel CPUs)

and this Vantec NXP-301 fan & light controller
http://www.vantecusa.com/product-peripheral.html#
(the top right product)

The Zalman cpu cooler comes with a Fanmate2, which can be plugged between the cpu cooler HSF fan and the mobo, or you can plug the cooler directly into the mobo.

I don't even know what control the mobo (currently Asus P4C800E-D) has on the spped of any cpu cooler fan, whether constantly speed control monitored by temp, or extreme temp danger throttle back protected.

The Zalman Fanmate2 does not reach the outside of the case - I drilled a hole and used 2-sided tape on top. I can set hi or low, or anything in between on the spin knob. It does not ever turn off the fan though!

What I want to know is if it possible to connect the Zalman cpu HSF cooler (fan) to use one of the (3) identical fan speed controller knobs on the Vantec fan & light controller to control min to max cpu cooler fan speed rotation. Obviously I don't want it to stop spinning.

I just don't know anything about electronics/electricity. The 3 Vantec fan dials starts at 7 o'clock and go to 5 o'clock. My 80mm Vantec Stealth fans go to work at 9 o'clock, at 20dB.

Last edited:
You should be able to connect it to your fan controller.

However, the Fanmate2 will never allow you to turn the fan off. If you turn the dial all the way to the left it will turn the fan to the lowest voltage setting but the fan will still rin.

Maybe is your answer: You are saying that the power to the cpu fan won't shut off as it does with regular fans. I am assuming I must still get the power to the cpu fan from on the mobo plug, as before.? I have 3 case fans FRT on the ctrlr and there wouldn't be that many case fan plugs on my mobo, so the power for them must be directly from the ps. Just to be totally clear. I know ther eis no way to test w/o fryin it. I could...you get teh point. I will find a way if you say.

You know I am talking about the cpu HSF to the Vantec fan & light ctrlr, not the fan(s) to the Fanmate2 btw, right.

"You should be able to connect it to your fan controller.

However, the Fanmate2 will never allow you to turn the fan off. If you turn the dial all the way to the left it will turn the fan to the lowest voltage setting but the fan will still rin."

Last edited:
I always run it at Low and have never hit mid 40s, at least not until my AS dried up, but I still turn it up when I game because I crank everything everything, need to. Wo, need to crank the hw, not necc the cooling. Its (Zalman) a keeper, still may scrap it for stock, gotta A<>B. Thinking of sealing and wrapping inside my no window no goodies new LL case btw. Could keep the goodies out of the only "Silent" LL 6070 unless I need em; w/ wrapping incl, no window.

You know I am talking about the cpu HSF to the Vantec fan & light ctrlr, not the fan(s) to the Fanmate2 btw, right.

Last edited:
Correction. I haven't been able to turn my Zalman knob cuz the tape unstuck, and it was at high. Haven't done much lately to explain better. Low 40s is high with 2.6C OCd 20% at 240FSB -when gaming kinda stuff. Myab ehigher, but only since I thnk the grease is worn out.

Back