• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman Reserator 1v2 Alert!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omega740

Hey guys I just purchased my Reserator off of newegg for my system as well as all the attachments from various sites. Included in my setup was an Eheim 1250 for which I am going to remove the weak pump from the Reserator. Problem is, I can't get the dam base off of the Reserator. I've look on different sites for a solution to this problem, and have tried all methods, but the base that has the weak pump on it will not budge. If you have read a method that you think I haven't tried yet just think about what your saying. I tried using the screw driver method (which strips the holes for the holes for the coupling go), the hold/cold metal expand shrink method, hell; I even took the dam thing over to Lowes, which they gave me a very strange look on their face, and stuck the base in a vice and tried to muscle the whole reserator in the opposite direction :bang head . No go :(... I don't know.
:confused:
Anyone ever try leaving the pump in their and not turning it on while using a serperate pump, such as the Eheim 1250, to run your system? Or should the bad pump be on to let the flow though it when the Eheim overpowers it?

Anyway if your wondering about my current setup and situation here is a thread that explains it all when I was planning my setup months ago http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4913286#post4913286

why don't you try and get a long screw driver and remove the pump via the top? i assume this is what it looks like?
res12_21.jpg
this was quoted under it.
Looking down into the Reserator we can see the pump and we can also see where the plug goes in the event that the pump is removed. Due to the glare in the second picture it looks like the pump itself screws directly to the base. It's actually a stainless steel bracket over the top of the pump that holds the pump in place. I took the pics this way due to the fact that removing the base is a task that basically requires a bench vise, two men and a small boy to accomplish. Since I'm lacking three of those things I was unable to pull the base for a closer look at the pump. This begs the question of exactly how difficult it would be for someone to remove the base in the event that the pump did fail.

so go get urself another guy and a boy.

after reading some more about it i think it unscrews. if do try to unscrew it becareful not to bend the fins, i'm not sure how strong they are.

Last edited:
any tool, hardware store should have something, how long is the tube anyway? but before spending money on a 1 time tool i would try to unscrew it first.

It's about an inch shy of 2ft. Also thinking about screwing or unscrewing in, the crappy pump is held down by two star screws but next to it is a large thumb screw type of item that comes out to being about 3/4 of an inch thick. So if I did manage to find a 2ft long screwdriver I would need to somehow find a way to unscrew a large type of thumb screw thing and re-screw a replacement screw in another hole right next to it. Note that these thumb screw type things don't have indentions in them so a screw driver of any sort will not work.

assuming you can get it off easy would you put the 1250 in the res or just remove the old and put the pump outside?

but like i said try to unscrew instead of just pulling it out. use a vise if need be.

Don't know if anyone asked... But could it be possible to make a Zalman Reserator into a type of bong cooler? I have an opportunity to pick one up for pretty cheap used.

Personally I think you may have been better off getting a radiator instead of the Zalman or if you wanted to cool the system passively, a 5-10 gallon jug of water.

Also, it would be cheaper easier to use PVC pipes for a bong.

Back to the main subject. I guess I could bare leaving the stupid cheap pump in there.
Anyone ever try leaving the pump in their and not turning it on while using a serperate pump, such as the Eheim 1250, to run your system? Or should the bad pump be on to let the flow though it when the Eheim overpowers it?

It would cause a lot of restriction. If you really want to hold onto the reserator, you should just drill two holes where appropriate and add two barbs.

Back