• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build CPU questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zins

Registered
OK...so I am in the process of building a new gaming set up. I was going to get the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, but after reading hundred of reviews and so on I have been somewhat turned away. The only other CPU I would prolly consider would be the i7-2600K. This is only a quad core and not a 6 core, but from what I have read the i7 is a much better all around CPU. I am also considering getting 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB or 2 AMD 6950's. I am up to any suggestions on what to get for my new build. If you could suggest a mobo with the CPU you would get that would be great as well. Thanks:thup:

So, if it is a gaming rig only, why not a 2500K and a 6990?

HT won't give improvement for gaming (tested:temper:), and with one 6990, you'd have less issue than using Xfire (driver wise if you know what I mean!).

#1 the 1090 is cheaper and only very very slightly slower
#2 best game in town right now is sandy bridge
#3 you dont need any where near that much proc to game right now, the previous posters (and my) 955 BE will do fine

So the question is budget, what you intend to play, and how future proofed you wanna be...

I agree with Big Ben: I use both my rigs for gaming.

Just that I moved the 6950 modded/OCed to the SB and got an 5830 OCed for the AMD.

To be honest, I play exactly the same way with both systems. Maybe I need to lower the AA on the AMD, but it's more because of the gpu.

Thanks guys for the advice:ty:
I am one of those guys who like to build a new computer so it is ahead of its time for at least a few week haha, if you get my drift. I want to have a strong and fast CPU and MOBO that is not going to have to be upgraded until I build my next pc (usually every 5 years or so). I seen the i7 960 Bloomfield, is that as good, better, or worse than the i7 2600k SB? I am working with a budget of about 2,000$ give or take. I just cant make up my mind on so many things :argue:

Well, with $2000, you should be fine

I built mine for around €1700 (with a good bargain on the CPU, second hand), and you can play everything maxed out with full AA. Unless you don't do Eyefinity, you don't need a more powerful GPU:

Case Antec One Hundred: €50
SB2600K: €160 (instead of €260)
ASUS P8P67-Pro: €160
Corsair XMS3: 2X2GB1600cas8: €50
Gigabyte 6950: €240 (modded to 6970 shaders and clock)
OCZ Vertex3 120GB: €240
WD TB Caviar Black 1TB: €60
LG Blue Ray Burner: €90
CoolerMaster SilentProM 1000W: €150
HSF Megahalem: €50
27" monitor or 37" LCD TV: €300
Keyboard/mouse/fans and speakers: €100

Hardware is more expensive on the other side of the Atlantic. $2000 will get you a monster system here in the U.S.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 72
I would take that Newegg build and replace the 2600K with 2500K, use a pair of 6950 2GB's flashed to 6970's and ditch the Xonar in favor of $80 external USB DAC (like NuForce uDac or similar)

Moar power, less money.

Thanks guys :thup:
I am going to go with i7 2600k. Still debating on what GPU's to use, but that's fine. The main things now is finding a mobo. I really like the P67 Intel deluxe, but I dono if I should go with that or a Z68 mobo...hmmm to many choices :bang head

I think most people are getting z68 boards now that they are available instead of p67 but I could be wrong.

Back