• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Budget" gaming comp - What do you think? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

Hi guys! I already purchased these parts but I wanted to know what you guys thought of my "budget" gaming computer.

The reason I put "budget" is because it still cost around $750 or so. Another reason is because the parts I chose were comparable to others but cheaper and they performed not as great. Though the performance comparison from the benchmarks I reviewed were very minimal so it should be able to do everything I want it to do as far as high-end games go these days.

Ex. Going Radeon 6870 vs Geforce 560 lt sort of choices. The price difference is about $70~ so I went with a lot more cost effective parts. (A lot of the things I bought combo'd for cheaper pricing as well)

Here is my build, please let me know what you think of it:

CD/DVD drive
CPU Cooler
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition
Coolermaster HAF 915 case
700w Coolermaster PSU
Wester Digital 750gb 6gb/s HD
ASUS Motherboard M4A 6gb/s
Sapphire ATI Radeon 6870 1gb
G.Skill ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb)

It seems good, the only thing I don't like about it is the PSU. I've heard too many people complaining about Cooler Master PSUs giving them problems. When you get some more cash you should put a SSD in there as well.

It seems good, the only thing I don't like about it is the PSU. I've heard too many people complaining about Cooler Master PSUs giving them problems. When you get some more cash you should put a SSD in there as well.

I've been hearing that about the PSU ~_~

I wish I knew that before. I'll try to look on neweggs site and find out how good they are with returns. Hopefully I can return it and get my $ back for something with better remarks.

But...the specific Coolermaster PSU I got has really good ratings on newegg. Very few ppl having problems with this one specifically..

Good for a budget, you just bought a dead socket motherboard though. AM3+ is already out, and it's backwards compatibly. If you're willing to pay the restocking fee, you can get a 970 chipset board and be able to upgrade to Bulldozer in the future...

Other then that, the PSU, which Smoke already mentioned.

Good for a budget, you just bought a dead socket motherboard though. AM3+ is already out, and it's backwards compatibly. If you're willing to pay the restocking fee, you can get a 970 chipset board and be able to upgrade to Bulldozer in the future...

Other then that, the PSU, which Smoke already mentioned.

Is it just Coolermaster in general that so many ppl are saying that about my PSU I chose? I normally pick corsair but the price combo deal + the reviews I saw on newegg were really good. The one I chose had very few negatives about it out of almost 200 reviews.

Should I return the PSU?

I've been hearing that about the PSU ~_~

I wish I knew that before. I'll try to look on neweggs site and find out how good they are with returns. Hopefully I can return it and get my $ back for something with better remarks.

But...the specific Coolermaster PSU I got has really good ratings on newegg. Very few ppl having problems with this one specifically..

Newegg reviews is like blind people with no fingers trying to explain what a rock is. :screwy: Only 1 out of 100 is probably close to informed.

For PSU's we do have a sub forum with awesome stickies, take a look, you'll have a great PSU picked in 15 minutes.

Newegg reviews is like blind people with no fingers trying to explain what a rock is. :screwy: Only 1 out of 100 is probably close to informed.

For PSU's we do have a sub forum with awesome stickies, take a look, you'll have a great PSU picked in 15 minutes.

Do you guys think the 700w will be enough to go Xfire dual 6870's in the future?

Well remember, that's per card, plus the rest of your system. Even with that, total system at full load with dual 6870s is probably around 600W.

Some times Newegg shows the same problem with 1 product over and over like a motherboards with network connection failing on allot of boards.

So as far as the system I built is what I'm going to get except I might switch our the PSU.

As far as upgrades from suggestions goes they have been:
SSD hard drive
Possible upgrade to the Radeon 6970 GPU

For gaming...what do you guys thing in my system or the above suggestions would be the best to get first for upgrades?

Have you built this thing yet? Are you in the US? Did you look at the $500 gaming computer sticky?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image...et AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

The first thing I'd do if you haven't built yet is swap CPUS to this. SAME cpu, different bin. Overclocked, the performance is the same.

Sadly I can't do that :( It's already done! Thanks for the suggestion though :)

What would you guys suggest to up first in my build to see significant performance increase though? I'm thinking the GPU...but to what?

Didn't you just build it?
Already you want to upgrade? :). An SSD helps.

LOL! Yes :p But I'm just trying to think for the future. So I can start saving. I can't just buy things off like I use to...just got engaged :p

So for the SSD would I use it to install the games on there and OS on my 7200 WD 6gb/s HD? or vice versa? Or everything on the SSD? Their quite costly after 60gb sizes..

(thanks for ur continued help man)

Back