• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Budget" gaming comp - What do you think? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is a good choice, i would purchase that.

I already purchased it. I was wondering though what would be the the next best thing to upgrade from my build up top in my original post.

Theocnoob already suggested the SSD but didn't really give a reason. I trust his opinion but would like to know more details on what I should upgrade next and why. I know it's a new build but just so I can start saving and budgeting how much to save.

For ex. a lot of the SSD's are real expensive after 60gb sizes...and to be able to put windows + some games on it...it would need to be quite a large size! I'm looking at the 120gb sized SSDs. But I'm not sure if that would be the next best upgrade for my rig or if a GPU or more RAM would be better.

Advice?

I already purchased it. I was wondering though what would be the the next best thing to upgrade from my build up top in my original post.

Theocnoob already suggested the SSD but didn't really give a reason. I trust his opinion but would like to know more details on what I should upgrade next and why. I know it's a new build but just so I can start saving and budgeting how much to save.

For ex. a lot of the SSD's are real expensive after 60gb sizes...and to be able to put windows + some games on it...it would need to be quite a large size! I'm looking at the 120gb sized SSDs. But I'm not sure if that would be the next best upgrade for my rig or if a GPU or more RAM would be better.

Advice?

For me, the main reason going to a ssd is the files access time (around 0.1 ms). Loading times are faster as well.

With a 120Gigs SSD, you'll be fine.
You don't need to grab a top of the line units: a corsair f120 or an OCZ Vertex2 would be already a very nice upgrade.

BTW, I don't notice any big difference in daily use between the f90 and the vertex3 (see rig).

EDIT: 2x4 gigs are already a lot. And regarding the GPU, the 6870 is a nice card. I would wait for Q1 2012 to see what the new AMD 7xxx and nVidia 6xx have in the guts.

A SSD won't improve the game play but will greatly improve your overall computing experience. I highly recommend it. If I were you I'd upgrade to a SSD, then GPU and possibly a bigger monitor down the road. By the time you're ready to upgrade the GPU the next gen cards from AMD and Nvidia should be out.

Your PSU is fine. Personally I don't trust any individual review or opinion. What I do look for is trends or patterns.

Sounds good! I think I will hold off on GPU upgrades till the next gen then.

SSD will probably be my first upgrade. What size do you guys think is comfortable to get? Should I be installing the OS + games on it or just the OS?

Also..if I don't plan on Overclocking my CPU just yet...do you think the stock heatsink/fan would suffice? Or should I get a seperate cooler that I listed in my first post?

Last edited:
I would install your OS and games on the 120 GB SSD.:popcorn:

Your stock CPU fan is fine if your not going to overclock.:cool:

I would install your OS and games on the 120 GB SSD.:popcorn:

Your stock CPU fan is fine if your not going to overclock.:cool:

Def going to get a stand alone water cooling CPU fan in the future when I OC.

For now though I'm using the stock fan/heatsink. So many ppl complained about it @ newegg about how loud and annoying it was. I have to say they were wrong or I got a lucky one. It's super silent and runs cool.

That could be a lucky chip as it depends on the chip which releases the heat and the fan throttling to deal with the heat. When you say stand alone are you talking about the all in one sets? Your better off buying a tower cooler as they're going to be cheaper and probably more efficient. A nh d14 can match and might beat the h100 at half the cost.

That could be a lucky chip as it depends on the chip which releases the heat and the fan throttling to deal with the heat. When you say stand alone are you talking about the all in one sets? Your better off buying a tower cooler as they're going to be cheaper and probably more efficient. A nh d14 can match and might beat the h100 at half the cost.

Ya I've been running tests and playing games like Dead Island on it at max settings. Was never getting above 52degrees. Was averaging around 48~

Back