• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 users how much vcore do you use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

I have a bit of time to play with my CPU again . I thinking I might try and find what Vcore I need to run 4.5ghz 24/7 .

The setting i have been using for months is still very stable .
lin.jpg

So what do you use for vcore to be stable @ 4.5 ( I tryed 1.5v and intelburn test gave me a BOSD ) . I dont get shy with vcore so you wont really scare me off with that .

My 24hr settings are in my sig, but I've benched it up to 4.8Ghz with around 1.6v(I'm gonna try that again actually, I'm sure I can lower the Vcore and maybe gain some more OC)

This is what I have been running as of late. I recall having some trouble staying stable at 8x533. I can do 7.5x533 just fine though, IIRC. When I get bored one of these days with nothing to do I will give it another shot.

Ram is at 1:1 by the way.
clipboard04r.jpg

@ Cullam3n

Have you tryed for 4.5 ghz ?
Im doing 8.5x500 stable @ 1.385ish
9x500 is my goal .

Not seriously. I can boot at 4.5ghz I think but I couldn't boot into Windows. After 4.1ghz I seem to need to increase voltage by a lot to get to be stable. Playing with voltage scares me and gives me goosebumps. :eek: I have to read into what all these settings do though, there are quite a few that I haven't touched or don't know what to do with.

9x500 is a good goal, tell you what: will go for it next weekend. 4.5ghz or bust :beer:

E0's should be banned until I get one.

Im still fine tuning w/ this new mobo. Its a P5Q I got from RMA and its COMPLETELY different than my old one. Previously, I ran superPi @ 1.5v @ 4.5ghz (500x9) but this board wont go that low :( Im finally getting blend to pass, which Ive had issues with FOREVER. I could pass memtest, small fft, but blend would fail ON COMMAND @ 58 minutes @ 4.3 and 33 minutes @ 4.4. Right now im pushing 2 hours @ 4.3ghz w/out fail. Had to lower my FSB term, I believe my NB was getting too warm. Also lowered my NB voltage a bit too and it seems to be helping. This board doesnt seem to like 500 fsb though, so I dont think Ill hit 4.5 ghz :(

I know my chip can do it though!

Mine needs 1.408v (in CPU-z) for a 3.8Ghz over-clock. I won't ever go above that though, but at least the cooler is good and it keeps it at 60ºC on load in Prime95 (for hours). And it's a C0 revision.

I have a bit of time to play with my CPU again . I thinking I might try and find what Vcore I need to run 4.5ghz 24/7 .

lin.jpg

So what do you use for vcore to be stable @ 4.5 ( I tryed 1.5v and intelburn test gave me a BOSD ) . I dont get shy with vcore so you wont really scare me off with that .

Your machine looks like a twin to mine. I have an E0 E8400 that just loves to run at about 4250/500FSB. I can squeeze 4300/506 out of it. All of this at less than 1.4V. I haven't found the low voltage yet for 24/7, but it is not more than 1.4V in bios.

Going faster than this requires a lot more voltage hence a lot more heat and power. I was able to get 4450 to pass P95 SFFT, but that required 1.45V. 4500 was a no go. This was with a screaming 120mm fan on a TRUE with an open case. It will pass P95 SFFT at 1.4 at 4250/500 all day long, case buttoned up, and at 67C.

From my point of view one has to be very lucky to get an E0 Wolfdale to 4.5GHz. It takes a good chip and likely good water cooling.

-Mike

I have an EO, and use 1.300v to run 4005mhz. It may actually drop a little lower, but I feel safe with 1.3v. I don't want to push it and cause it to degrade like my last 2 or 3 chips.

Your machine looks like a twin to mine. I have an E0 E8400 that just loves to run at about 4250/500FSB. I can squeeze 4300/506 out of it. All of this at less than 1.4V. I haven't found the low voltage yet for 24/7, but it is not more than 1.4V in bios.

Going faster than this requires a lot more voltage hence a lot more heat and power. I was able to get 4450 to pass P95 SFFT, but that required 1.45V. 4500 was a no go. This was with a screaming 120mm fan on a TRUE with an open case. It will pass P95 SFFT at 1.4 at 4250/500 all day long, case buttoned up, and at 67C.

From my point of view one has to be very lucky to get an E0 Wolfdale to 4.5GHz. It takes a good chip and likely good water cooling.

-Mike
I see the same thing need way more voltage for higher then 4.2ish

I Do have good water 3x120mm rad .

Well Right now im runing 50 passs of intel burn test . It passed 5 so i moved on to 50.
I am @ 1.52(in bios & CPUZ).

Sure does get hot with that much vcore running Intelburn test (@least 10deg hoter than prime)
4500.jpg

Well Right now im runing 50 passs of intel burn test . It passed 5 so i moved on to 50.

Sure does get hot with that much vcore running Intelburn test (@least 10deg hoter than prime)
4500.jpg

1.5v seems crazy high for only 4.5... :shrug:

the few chips ive tested reached 4.7+ with only 1.4v

mine needs 1.475 in bios for 4.5, dont feel bad :) this cpu is a pig for volts too. its definatly not one of those 4ghz@ 1.1v chips heheh :beer: and it pretty much caps at 4.7, with air anyways :(

I just completed a 2 hour high temp P95 SFFT test at 4300 at 1.375V ... quite a bit down from 1.4V. I had a previous fail at 1.35V, and just found out 1.35625 failed. However, just look at the difference in system power as measured with a kill-o-watt meter:

Small FFT P95 4.5G 1.4250V 200W
Small FFT P95 4.3G 1.3625V 183W

That's an extra 17W, and the 4.5G config above would fail P95 SFFT almost immediately. The 4.3G might be stable, and I'm pretty sure 1.375V is stable, worst case. I suspect stable 4.5G is going to take much more power than that. The wall on my chip is at about 4350.

For me, it does not seem worth it for 200MHz, but then I'm pretty mild around here :). To each his own.

-Mike

I use 1.32v to hit 4.6ghz (see sig.)

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6004657&postcount=26

Last edited:
Back