• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 2209WA 1680 x 1050 @ 75Hz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i tried it... it ran at half width... 840x1050@75hz both on dvi and vga.... id really like it if it ran at 1680x1050@75hz as the manual claims....

Does that matter though since it's an LCD?

I was under the impression that LCDs do not have the flickering issue @ 60Hz like CRTs suffer from due to more or less running at 100Hz+(about 300Hz - 500Hz if I remember correctly) already. The 60Hz was just there so Windows could be happy and play nice with the monitor(s).

Take that with a grain of salt however, as it's just what I had read somewhere on these forums, or an LCD site's forums.

Yeah, excuse my ignorance, but, whats the point on an LCD?

Also where is this mod in that forum? I see a page full of posts with none talking about 75hz... Can you link a SINGLE post (click on the post #).

Yeah, excuse my ignorance, but, whats the point on an LCD?

Also where is this mod in that forum? I see a page full of posts with none talking about 75hz... Can you link a SINGLE post (click on the post #).

Why? Because Dell advertises it.

Oh....OK. Thanks for a real explanation nd4spd.

If my eyes dont notice anything over 60fps anyway........................

eyes dont view fps per say they view smoothness... the more fps the more smoother motion is going to be. its a common fallacy that eyes can only see so many fps.

I think this sums up what I meant to say,

Wikipedia said:
Liquid crystal displays

Much of the discussion of refresh rate does not apply to the liquid crystal portion of an LCD monitor. This is because while a CRT monitor uses the same mechanism for both illumination and imaging, LCDs employ a separate backlight to illuminate the image being portrayed by the LCD's liquid crystal shutters. The shutters themselves do not have a "refresh rate" as such due to the fact that they always stay at whatever opacity they were last instructed to continuously, and do not become more or less transparent until instructed to produce a different opacity. Most of the TFT LCDs used in portable devices and computer monitors need a continuous refresh. The driving voltage determines the transmittance of the liquid crystal.

The closest thing liquid crystal shutters have to a refresh rate is their response time, while nearly all LCD backlights (most notably fluorescent cathodes, which commonly operate at (~200Hz) have a separate figure known as flicker, which describes how many times a second the backlight pulses on and off.

I think this sums up what I meant to say,

refresh rates do apply to lcds... it is the ammount of times the screen refreshes every second. The higher the refresh rate the more frames are displayed every second thus the smoother the motion looks (if your gfx card can pump out the greater fps) Just on a CRT a higher refresh rate also has the "side effect" of getting rid of screen flicker

Try it... go play counterstrike 1.6 ... in the console type fps_max 30

this will limit you to 30fps or 30hz

now type fps_max 60

this will max out a 60hz lcd and you will notice gameplay becomes ALOT smoother.

btw ima try what that guy said in post 897 when i get home

Last edited:
refresh rates do apply to lcds... it is the ammount of times the screen refreshes every second. The higher the refresh rate the more frames are displayed every second thus the smoother the motion looks (if your gfx card can pump out the greater fps) Just on a CRT a higher refresh rate also has the "side effect" of getting rid of screen flicker

now type fps_max 60

this will max out a 60hz lcd and you will notice gameplay becomes ALOT smoother.

btw ima try what that guy said in post 897 when i get home

I got that from here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

My apologies though, I thought he was talking about screen flickering or so at that refresh rate.

now type fps_max 60

Whoa whoa whoa... wait a second. AFAIK, when you type in a console command in game you are NOT changing the refresh rate of ANY monitor but simply just the fps. The refresh rate, if at 60Hz, stays the same its only getting 30fps. So in this case, the screen 'refreshes' twice before another frame is rendered on screen.

Please correct me if I am wrong (with links that state its changing the monitor's refresh rate when you enter a console command of a game).

@ RT - Dont worry about it bro... I was searching the thing going......where the???????? LOL

Whoa whoa whoa... wait a second. AFAIK, when you type in a console command in game you are NOT changing the refresh rate of ANY monitor but simply just the fps. The refresh rate, if at 60Hz, stays the same its only getting 30fps. So in this case, the screen 'refreshes' twice before another frame is rendered on screen.

Please correct me if I am wrong (with links that state its changing the monitor's refresh rate when you enter a console command of a game).

@ RT - Dont worry about it bro... I was searching the thing going......where the???????? LOL

yes thats all its doing but its the same exact thing as changing to 30hz refresh rate... as on an lcd the image is displayed until told to change so weather your displaying 1 frame for 1/30th of a second, or two of the same frame for 1/60th of a second there is no difference.

But try it out some ppl dont think they can see above 30 frames per second... make a custom resolution with ur lcds native rez @ half the max refresh rate (max is usually 60hz so make it 30hz) and look and see how choppy everything looks.

Theres a reason why hdtv's are comming in flavors of 120hz... its not that the sources are 120hz (120frames per second) they make frames inbetween each frame to make the motion smoother... and a tv that does it right (which there arnt any they all produce artifacts by interpolating frames) looks really good and smooth.

EDIT... tried what that guy said at HF and it didnt work... it either one said it was out of range or two didnt change the refresh rate at all. GAH i want 75hz.

Last edited:
yes thats all its doing but its the same exact thing as changing to 30hz refresh rate... as on an lcd the image is displayed until told to change so weather your displaying 1 frame for 1/30th of a second, or two of the same frame for 1/60th of a second there is no difference.

But try it out some ppl dont think they can see above 30 frames per second... make a custom resolution with ur lcds native rez @ half the max refresh rate (max is usually 60hz so make it 30hz) and look and see how choppy everything looks.

Theres a reason why hdtv's are comming in flavors of 120hz... its not that the sources are 120hz (120frames per second) they make frames inbetween each frame to make the motion smoother... and a tv that does it right (which there arnt any they all produce artifacts by interpolating frames) looks really good and smooth.

EDIT... tried what that guy said at HF and it didnt work... it either one said it was out of range or two didnt change the refresh rate at all. GAH i want 75hz.

ND,

Try this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034019664&postcount=1222

Now I can't figure how I got into the engineering display AGAIN! :)

i will try that when i get home from classes in a coupla hrs.

OMFG OMFG OMFG IT WORKED!!!

i bez gettin 75hz refresh!

It should work. I don't know why it wouldn't. Maybe the timings it chose for you aren't compatible.

Try these manual timings:

Horizontal front porch: 48
Active horizontal pixels: 1680
Horizontal total: 1840
Horizontal sync width: 32
Horizontal sync polarity: -

Vertical front porch: 3
Active vertical lines: 1050
Vertical total: 1087
Vertical sync width: 6
Vertical sync polarity: +

Then set the desired refresh rate to 75 Hz.

It will actually accept up to 76.647 Hz using those timings. Going any higher causes it to intermittently reject the resolution, so don't go above that. The monitor will report 77 Hz since it rounds up.

YESSS!!!! PWNAGE!

Last edited:
How to set it up

First go into nvidia control panel and click on manage custom resolutions.

Click on allow modes not exposed by the display and click apply.

Then click on create

then advanced, change the refresh rate to 75hz, then first select DMT in the drop down box, then select manual, and make your screen look exactly like mine.

step2.JPG

Click test, OK, then yes. Now this custom resolution will be available in the "Change resolution" settings. You must go to Change resolution and on the right at the resolution of 1680x1050 you should see 60hz and 75hz. click 75hz then click apply then yes.

Now your at 1680x1050@75hz you can verify by opening up the menu and looking at the resolution the monitor reports.

IMG_00843.jpg

untitled.JPG

WOOT WOOT

How to set it up

First go into nvidia control panel and click on manage custom resolutions.

Click on allow modes not exposed by the display and click apply.

Then click on create

then advanced, change the refresh rate to 75hz, then first select DMT in the drop down box, then select manual, and make your screen look exactly like mine.

Click test, OK, then yes. Now this custom resolution will be available in the "Change resolution" settings. You must go to Change resolution and on the right at the resolution of 1680x1050 you should see 60hz and 75hz. click 75hz then click apply then yes.

Now your at 1680x1050@75hz you can verify by opening up the menu and looking at the resolution the monitor reports.

WOOT WOOT

YES, YES, YESSSS :beer::clap::D

Edit:

After adjustung to 75 hz per the instructions above from nd4spdbh2, most of the bleed of green or red in black and white text seems to have disappeared. I mentioned this to nd4spdbh2 and he sees the same. I don't know why but it is what it is!

Last edited:
Back