• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SM951 NVMe not running at full speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi,

I have a SM951 NVMe drive and it's not running at full speed. It is connected to the first PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. (I removed all my other PCIe cards) I have a Gigabyte Z97 Gaming GT and a I7 4790K. I attached screen shot of AS SSD. I ran AS SSD on my 1TB Sasmung EVO 850 and I get back similar scores. The SM951 NVMe is set up as my boot drive running Windows 8.1. Do you know what I need to do to make run at it's full potential? Thank you.

David

sm951.png

I'm using a ZTC Lighting Card M.2 NGFF SSD PCIe x4 PCIe card. The LED lights on the card is saying it's running at x4 mode. Here is the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5M36J2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NVMe driver?
Is NVMe even supported?

NVMe is just short for Non-Volatile Memory Express, meaning any PCIe based storage media.
It's possible the board doesn't like it and defaults back to SATA speeds even over the PCIe bus.

Good idea about the driver though, there may be one for the SSD.
Also, wouldn't hurt to update the motherboard BIOS.

NVMe is just short for Non-Volatile Memory Express, meaning any PCIe based storage media.
It's possible the board doesn't like it and defaults back to SATA speeds even over the PCIe bus.

Good idea about the driver though, there may be one for the SSD.
Also, wouldn't hurt to update the motherboard BIOS.
I know what it means.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all the responses. I ran HWinFO and it showing the drive as a SATA drive running 6 GB/S. I updated my motherboard to the latest BIOS. I guess I'll look around for a driver. Thanks again.

David

Hi, thanks for all the responses. I ran HWinFO and it showing the drive as a SATA drive running 6 GB/S. I updated my motherboard to the latest BIOS. I guess I'll look around for a driver. Thanks again.

David

Well, that explains the speeds.

Win 8.1 should have a native driver. Is your OS updated?

To elaborate here, go manually check for updates and see if there are any driver updates in the detailed list.
Even if you run Windows Update, it may not actually install the driver unless you go pick it manually.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm looking around for a driver. I couldn't find anything with Windows Update. I might try a different PCIe card.

David

Last edited:
NVME?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm looking around for a driver. I couldn't find anything with Windows Update. I might try a different PCIe card.

David

If I could ask where I could get a Samsung SM951 NVME drive?? Preferably a 512GB??

If I could ask where I could get a Samsung SM951 NVME drive?? Preferably a 512GB??

I don't think they are out yet. MacMall mislabeled their M.2 drive and sold me the non NVME version. That's why I wasn't getting the correct speeds.

David

Back