• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 5820K Haswell-E vs i7 4970K Devils Canyon (MMORPG+Video editing)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FranBunnyFFXII

Registered
I'm doing some research on the parts choices for my next build, and I'm at a crossroads for my CPU Choice.
Right now I'm between the i7 5820, vs the i7 4970K.

The primary purpose of the rig is MMORPG gaming, and video editing(and excessive multi-tasking).
MMO's have a really heavy single threaded workload, so for gaming I'll be relying on achieving has as possible single core OC, but obviously also stable when running Sony Vegas+video format conversion software.

the 5820k is 140watt, vs the 100watt? of the 4790K, however the 4970 is cheaper and has much higher base clocks, apparently 4.4 turbo stock. Can a 5820K easily reach the same 4.4 turbo clock?(single/dual core gaming workload)
Obviously 12 threads will be better for video editing.

Note that regardless of choice, these will be aircooled(MX-4 thermal compound).

I'm currently running a i7 3740QM at 4.05ghz/4.15ghz(depending on the game), and I obviously want to take a step up.
Is the 5820K designed to exceed 4.2ghz with ease?

I already have a GPU waiting for this rig, a R9 290X.

I'm running an i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz with a cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212. All I did to OC was select a 4.3 GHz profile in the BIOS. I'm sure I could get it to 4.5 GHz, but there's really no need. Got mine at Microcenter last year, the CPU is $299 and they give you $40 off the motherboard of your choice in a combo deal.

Particularly if you are overclocking it so you can get comparable single threaded performance. ;)

Last edited:
Question I have though is the 4970K I'm seeing people get 4.6ghz+regularly with run of the mill coolers. If I go with a devils canyon I'll have a more secure chance at getting 4.4+ghz as that's its turbofreq, and getting 4.6ghz shouldn't be too hard. As far as I understand it'll be harder to get 4.4ghz+ on a 5820K.
The high single core overclock is really necessary for this rig, as its mainly intended for playing MMOs, and I'll want every mhz I can get out of the chip above 4ghz.
If I'm going to play the game of chance, I'll know I'll get screwed over, happens ever chance it gets. So if i play the "silicon lottery" with the i7 5820K, I'll probably get one that was at the edge of the waffer. I get bit in the *** everytime when it comes to luck, so that sort of consideration really comes into play for me.

Also, maybe a dumb question but Is it possible to put that noctua DXi4 cooler on a LGA 1150 socket?

Also how much power draw would the CPU(5820K) itself have under gaming workload. (1~2 active cores(4 threads))

It is easy to talk yourself in or our of anything

Either one would be a solid choice. I personally feel the 5820K is a better long term choice.

the 5820K is a 140 watt cpu compared to 88 watt of the 4790K

It is easy to talk yourself in or our of anything

Either one would be a solid choice. I personally feel the 5820K is a better long term choice.

the 5820K is a 140 watt cpu compared to 88 watt of the 4790K

Im aware of its wattage rating, but I'm worried about it's actual power consumption under load and overclocked.
Does anyone have numbers?

I'm looking at PSUs to go with for a 5820K+290X

Not sure what your problem is with EVGA, but that PSU is very solid, as is their entire Supernova G2 line (arguably the best bang for the buck). Their customer service is also generally held as one of the best out there...:shrug:

That earthwatts, being so old (circa 2008), only has 540W on the 12v rail. That wouldn't be my choice...

Not sure what your problem is with EVGA, but that PSU is solid, as is their entire Supernova G2 line.

They lost their business with me a while back with their homophobic tirad with in their community.
And then worse one of the staff had the nerve to PM me and tell me they didn't want to lose me as customer.
offtopic post I know but I'll never buy anything with an EVGA label on it again.
I'd rather get something from Seasonic, or OEM by Delta Electronics.
Call me crazy or what not but Shilka(PSU fanatic From OCN) has my trust on his suggestions of PSUs.
Edit: that EVGA PSU isn't part of the Seasonic,Superflower,Delta "trinity" that most PSU fanatics trust, so I'm not really interested in it.
The review doesn't really meantion the PSU oem, just leaves it to be assumed it's EVGA, and with EVGA's motherboard fiascos, I wouldn't trust anything other than their GPUs, and I don't use Nvidia anymore.

EVGA employees had a homophobic tirade? Somehow I don't believe that...

Anyway... I had the wrong PSU. There is a new version of that model out. But if you trust OCNs list and that guy, why ask us and then bunk everything we suggest? Go with that list, the list here, or what Shilka says... ;)

Edit: that EVGA PSU isn't part of the Seasonic,Superflower,Delta "trinity" that most PSU fanatics trust, so I'm not really interested in it.
Ok... but there are more than just those that are quality PSUs... ;)

The review doesn't really meantion the PSU oem, just leaves it to be assumed it's EVGA, and with EVGA's motherboard fiascos, I wouldn't trust anything other than their GPUs, and I don't use Nvidia anymore.
EVGA mobos have nothing to do with their PSU line.
The Supernova G2 line, again, is arguably the best bang for your buck QUALITY PSUs on the market today. I trust what Jonnyguru and other reputable reviewers ([H]/TPU for example) have to say about it.

Either way, see above... Good luck with your choice! :)

Last edited:
EVGA employees had a homophobic tirade? Somehow I don't believe that...

Anyway... I had the wrong PSU. There is a new version of that model out. But if you trust OCNs list and that guy, why ask us and then bunk everything we suggest? Go with that list, the list here, or what Shilka says... ;)
I was asking for the assumption of a power load, I wasn't entirely sure if 650 watt was enough for a heavily OC'd haswell E with an OC'd 290X.
But if ya'll suggesting a 650watt, then I got the confirmation I needed. So that's why I asked.

The whole homophobic thing happened during that DADT being repealed event (I used to be in the US Army), EVGA went and banned any discussion of LGBT topics as "not family friendly" and a number of us got defensive as they were pretty much throwing the whole LGBT community as "not family friendly." It was really screwed up, so I decided to stand up against it, and there was some really screwed up stuff with transphobia/homophobia on their forums.
Been buying their parts for years, and that felt like a knife in the back betrayal, and then the cherry ontop was the PM I got from Jacob(iirc) about how they didn't want to lose me as a customer even though they banned me for LGBT supportive topics.
The only good person from EVGA's staff was NordicJedi, he's a pretty awesome guy if you ever see him.

Also I ask around different communities when researching up parts to get a wider view of insight from communities, because each community has a different culture and preference, so getting a wide variety of responses IMO get's a much more indepth idea of information.
Each community has its own guru's, favorites, and hate lists.

I haven't build desktops in years thanks to my fascination with gaming laptops, but that's come to an end and I want to get back to desktops.
Time for me to ask around again. You know?

Another community is leaning towards the 4790K, this community is recommending the 5820K, so I think it wise to ask around.

Ok... but there are more than just those that are quality PSUs...
I believe in the trinity.

/worship.

All others are heretics! or whatever you know?
(i hope this attempt at humor isn't lost)

Last edited:
Remember forums are not a democracy. We have a General Discussion section too, and are limited in its topics (no politics for example). We are a G/PG site. And the discussion about LGBT can most certainly lead into inappropriate discussions so a thread here it would be monitored I am sure. Its a tech forum not a chance to iron out LBGT issues. So I certainly understand why they prevented that discussion in their forums.

Anyway, best of luck to you in your choices. You cannot go wrong with either. At this point its just about you pulling together the information you have requested (apparently across a couple of forums) and making a choice. :)

The Seasonic is solid if you don't like evga
However I likely pound on mine as hard as anyone and the evga units from Super Flower have been bullet proof

Not a huge Antec fan based upon experience and MOA 2012 whet they had like a 30% failure rate

Good luck

Remember forums are not a democracy. We have a General Discussion section too, and are limited in its topics (no politics for example). We are a G/PG site. And the discussion about LGBT can most certainly lead into inappropriate discussions so a thread here it would be monitored I am sure. Its a tech forum not a chance to iron out LBGT issues. So I certainly understand why they prevented that discussion in their forums.

Anyway, best of luck to you in your choices. You cannot go wrong with either. At this point its just about you pulling together the information you have requested (apparently across a couple of forums) and making a choice. :)

It wasn't the placement, it was the handling of it. Being told that you're not family friendly is pretty god damned offensive. Watching the staff allow other members to harass a transgender member was even worse.
It was definitely not a case of "misplaced topics" it was pretty upsetting.
Not only that but their motherboard incidents and how they handled them was pretty facepalmy too. 2 hits in one season was enough to make me swear off EVGA for the rest of eternity.
That and I have friends who keep buying EVGA GPUs and they keep on failing and having to be replaced, over and over.
I've just lost all trust in EVGA.

Such is life right? Good thing is that there's many choices.

On a different topic, is this an ok motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130796 for the 5820K. I obviously don't plan on going LN2 or extensive liquid cooling, ect for this build, and unfortunately I don't really have money to spare on anything much more expensive.

If the 4790K ends up being less expensive by a longshot, It may just end up being the choice I go for.
I'm saving my cash for the november(blackfriday/cyber monday ect) sales, but if price comes up to being the main inhibitor, then will that motherboard be ok for trying to reach 4.5ghz? or would something more equipped be needed?

The Seasonic is solid if you don't like evga
However I likely pound on mine as hard as anyone and the evga units from Super Flower have been bullet proof

Not a huge Antec fan based upon experience and MOA 2012 whet they had like a 30% failure rate

Good luck
The one I picked out is OEM Delta Electronics, probably my favored brand. I really do like seasonic too.

if 650Watts is enough, then that's what I'll look into.

Back