• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Latest Kaby Lake, Zen chips will support only Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, and they keep pushing the date on Skylake end of support for Windows 7/8 too.
Skylake is the last system to get if you want a multi boot with Windows 10.

Although after installing, Windows XP on Skylake - I would imagine that installing Windows 8 on Kaby Lake would be easier...
Stay tuned for instructions on how to do that on either Kaby Lake or maybe an Architecture or two after that since Skylake will take a while to enjoy? :D

Custom CPU and software to match, so much for competition on OS like linux OS.:mad: I guess this is the time we will like what we are served no-mater what it is.

Custom CPU and software to match, so much for competition on OS like linux OS.:mad: I guess this is the time we will like what we are served no-mater what it is.

Who said anything about no Linux support? This was only in relation to Windows.

We are not "the masses". None of this gear or software is aimed at pleasing the little minority that finds this all discouraging. The k chips and AMD's Black chips are primarily for the guys who want a couple hundred MHz over stock for bragging rights on air or AIO. (Yes, I have an AIO. Don't look at the man behind the curtain. Those levers mean nothing. STOP LOOKING AT ME!). The buying public (as far as Intel/M$/AMD/Crapple are concerned) want stuff that is easy, works out of the box, and is new. The Rulers of Tech want money, as much as possible with as little effort as they can get away with. We got the Golden Age of computing in our lifetimes, when innovation and enthusiasts ruled the market, through the media, far out of proportion to our numbers. The Age of the Little Geeky Tyrants is coming to a close, though. The dreaded General Public has invaded our fiefdom and will overwhelm with sheer number$. At one time the Kings were the guys with 8 GHz Bulldozers on LN2 and 6 GHz Sandy and Ivy Bridges. Now the monarchs are millennials and middle aged soccer moms and grandmas on Facebook. It was nice while it lasted. I got to build one good rig finally, which is nice, so I've got that going for me. LOL

From the article link quoted in your post: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3112...e-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html

Referenced Article said:
Why this matters: Microsoft's push forward, however rational from a technology standpoint, robs PC enthusiasts of their choice of operating systems—a freedom this particular sector of the community has loudly defended in the past. This could have broader implications for the PC market, too: It could be the deciding factor that finally brings about the abandonment of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. (Linux is an option, too, and nothing is precluding Apple from buying the chips for Macs, either.)

Referenced Article said:
Updated at 10:03 AM with additional details about Intel's Kaby Lake drivers. Clarification: Microsoft's support strategy applies to the use of the chips within Windows PCs, not Linux or Apple Macs.

The press release was only from Microsoft... not Intel. Microsoft isn't in control of Intel and can only dictate which Microsoft operating systems the new processors support.

There was recently some discussion on this very matter over in the AMD Zen thread. You can find the beginning of the discussion Here.

As I said over there,

What I took from the article is not that the older operating systems will not work with the newer hardware it just will not be officially supported. I am sure we will be able to make older versions work on newer platforms just no updates or support. Think about Windows XP on a Skylake build.

It doesn't matter, your OS will in all likelyhood still install. You can use Windows 98 on an i7 if you want (if you can find the mobo drivers for Windows 98, anyway)

It's likely only some nonsense power saving features won't work.

"However, processor analyst Dean McCarron of Mercury Research didn’t think running Kaby Lake would necessarily generate many problems, as there’s a long history of instruction set compatibility. “My expectation is ...that all the older code will run on it fine,” he said. “Likely...there’d be third party [driver] support that would allow older OSes to run, .inf files, for example. And Intel’s going to make those.” (Editor's Note: Intel said Tuesday that it will not be updating its Windows 7/8 drivers for Kaby Lake, as noted above.)

It’s also conceivable that enthusiasts could craft “black box” or modified drivers to help the latest chips run on the older operating systems. But in reality, the scope of the task would require detailed documentation as well as sophisticated testing resources, both of which seem infeasible."

Most of the reviews i have seen so far seem to focus on Win7 completely outdated hardware support, nothing on Win8.1 so far ?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-wont-work-intels-current-next-gen-cpus/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

http://www.universityherald.com/art...re-kaby-lake-processors-full-details-here.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake : "On January 15, 2016, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the only supported Windows platform for Kaby Lake processors. This was later changed, allowing for applicable security updates until the end of support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1"

Last edited:
My question is WHY? I can't imagine Intel being intimidated by Microsoft or persuaded by money, FFS, THEY MAKE PROCESSORS! So what is Intel thinking dropping support for Win7 and 8? Realistically, I could understand 7. But Windows 8?!

They have been trying to get/force people to move to Win10 since it came out.

People who work for Microsoft have continuously posted that the one and only reason has to do with Microsoft wanting to concentrate on the latest OS and it does make sense that it is costly to manage multiple OS updates.

They could make it *difficult* but not impossible for a limited number of people (us) to jump through hoops to get it.

But their story of costs does finally make sense for new hardware however. No company, motherboard manufacturers, Intel, anyone, will have to deal with support costs of additional OS.
The only leverage we have is if this impacts new hardware sales. They all believe this to be an unlikely scenario, and since they all profit from single OS support, the reasoning here is obvious *without* even going into Microsoft's profiting from data mining on 10.

Hmm. Maybe not so much. http://www.computerworld.com/articl.../i-don-t-like-being-force-fed-windows-10.html

Microsoft told AMD, Intel and Qualcomm, with its 8996 CPU, to support only Windows 10. As an Intel spokesperson said, “We are committed to working with Microsoft and our ecosystem partners to help ensure a smooth transition given these changes to Microsoft’s Windows support policy.” Specifically, “No, Intel will not be updating Win 7/8 drivers for 7th Gen Intel Core per Microsoft’s support policy change.”

They wanna force everyone into 10. Pop ups didn't work. Hiding the ability to cancel the update when it was scheduled via those pop ups didn't work. Now they're stripping you of every new processor generation that is released from now on. But Microsux forgets that there are stubborn people who will gladly tolerate crappy performance just escape this abomination they call an OS. I had a laptop with Win10 that I upgraded from 8.1 ONLY BECAUSE I only used it if A)My desktop was updating or otherwise unusable and B)I was in bed and wanted to watch YouTube and check Facebook. I avoided Windows 10 as long as I could, and when I saw Microsux was gonna get onto every home computer by force anyway I updated. And doing so brought on a whole onslaught of problems, but I just don't see the point in fighting it. It's here, it's queer, get used it because it's not leaving any time soon.

Back