• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to create a home network on Windows 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crow846

Currently after Windows 10 is up and running on my PC, I am trying to create a homegroup.
But as I found out it is not as simple as it should be.

I can see Windows 10 on Wifi but it is blocking me when I am trying to access it, the usual error.
After I started to dig deeper I found out that Microsoft removed the Homegroup from Windows 10.
The fun part is, I couldn't find any guide on Google on how to rebuild home network.
Some sites suggested Registry hacks and shady solutions.
But not a by the books solution.

If some one could give me some hints on how to restore the home network it will be great.
Thanks!

What is 'the usual error'? Can you screenshot the error (host image here)?

Why not start from scratch?

I dont recall having any issues setting one up and felt it walked me through just fine. :)

Yes, Homegroup is no more.

Why not just create a peer to peer network with shares for the things you use in common?

I was not aware W10 ditched Homegroup. Now I have to bookmark this page for my upcoming foray back in to 10. A little consistency would be nice from W10. Their whole "W10 is our last OS" seems to have been a prank. It's a new OS every update. Sheesh.

This bit of info (and Johan's links) will now become part of the "other" W10 thread. :D

I will have to clarify my intent.
I usually use my home network to access my PC files from Android devices or other PC on the network (Notebooks, Android TV dongle, Android tablets and etc..)
My most common use is to stream media from my PC to my Android tablet, such as TV-series and movies.

But this time when I try to access Windows 10 from my tablet I get rejected with a trouble shooting error. (Check connection, pray to god, and etc..)
Since home group doesn't exist anymore I am not sure how can I access my PC from my Android tablet.
I am sure I am just missing something with out the need to hack registry.

Or will that solution should work in my case as well?

Thanks,

I would check which SMB version your tablet supports and what you have enabled/available in Windows. I know that some OSes block SMB1 from being accessible (FreeNAS was like that for me with my nvidia shieldtv so I had to enable SMB1 for access)

I would think you just simply need to "Share" the folders where your TV shows and Movies are with "Everyone"

Navigate to your folders on the Win 10 PC. Click on the folder to select it then right click and choose Properties. Click on the Sharing tab and configure sharing as needed

I would check which SMB version your tablet supports and what you have enabled/available in Windows. I know that some OSes block SMB1 from being accessible (FreeNAS was like that for me with my nvidia shieldtv so I had to enable SMB1 for access)

You are 100% right.
I turned SMB V1 - file sharing in windows features and it allowed me to connect.

BTW what is the User name and Password I should use?
Since Windows 10 has different use names for every thing. Windows account, User name, PC - name and etc...

I would think you just simply need to "Share" the folders where your TV shows and Movies are with "Everyone"

Navigate to your folders on the Win 10 PC. Click on the folder to select it then right click and choose Properties. Click on the Sharing tab and configure sharing as needed

You can mark ''share'' but as long as windows 10 refuse file sharing it won't help (tried it).

You are 100% right.
I turned SMB V1 - file sharing in windows features and it allowed me to connect.

BTW what is the User name and Password I should use?
Since Windows 10 has different use names for every thing. Windows account, User name, PC - name and etc...

You can mark ''share'' but as long as windows 10 refuse file sharing it won't help (tried it).
You can create a username on your box and you can try just the username and password you create but may have to do hostname\username depending on how it likes the format

You can create a username on your box and you can try just the username and password you create but may have to do hostname\username depending on how it likes the format

Nope.. not matter what I type in it still won't accept it...
What should be the password? the PIN code??

Jesus, Win 10 is such a mass.
Even Google won't help me because people are amazed by Windows as much as I do...

Create a local account on the windows box with a username and password and set it with share permissions

If you are using a MS logon for your Windows acct. Your password must be in the @ format. Example mywin10@
If you use a local password then the Windows password you gave your Admin user account is what you need.

If you are using a MS logon for your Windows acct. Your password must be in the @ format. Example mywin10@
If you use a local password then the Windows password you gave your Admin user account is what you need.

Nope still does not work...
you mean 12344@?
Or how exactly should I type it?
And what will be my user name.

I will create local account if every thing else will fail.

When you boo to Windows what password do you use? Use the same user name password combination for network sharing.

When you boo to Windows what password do you use? Use the same user name password combination for network sharing.

I am trying to use it and it wont allow me to access my pc....
I have user name-1
and a pin code.

EDIT- FOUND IT!

Windows 10 user name -> 5 first letters of Microsoft account email.
Password -> Microsoft account password.

I want to punch something so f$% hard...

Last edited:
Good, that should fix things for you.

Yep!

Thank again guys for helping me.
It is working as it should now.
I really don't know what I would have done with out you all..
Probably punching something very hard LOL.

Back