• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Macedonian

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aktariel

Registered
So, thanks to all of the fine folks here at Overclockers, I finally finished my watercooling setup, and thought I'd throw up some pics, just for fun.

Swiftech MCP80 + fullcover heatsink:

e9vn0h.jpg

EK Supreme HF (gold was not my color choice, but it was ridiculously discounted when I went to go purchase my waterblock.)

m9snt2.jpg

Cutting a hole in the top of the case for the radiator. I then cut up an old bike tire and superglued it around the inside for padding, after deburring it. I gave the same treatment to the hole that I cut through the bottom of the drive caddy that you can see here.

103u71s.jpg

All set up and ready to go, after 24+ hours of leak testing:

205pdaa.jpg

And, the results:

2n7gok5.jpg

Still slowly pushing up the overclock. I'm hitting 3.47 or so on 1.285 volts, and ~64C on the hottest core under 100% according to RealTemp. Was unstable at 3.8 with 1.3v, so I don't know if I can push this all the way to 4.2 like I hope - I am using Indigo Xtreme, and the reflow seems to have gone fine, but the temps aren't as nice as I would hope. (Ambient is about 24C).

The Scythe fan controller stopped displaying any sort of readout within about 24-48 hours, but it still controls the fans just fine. I'd RMA it, but I had to cut some of the wires when I soldered the fan wires. We'll see how it plays out.

Final thoughts: Next time, I'm just using a Venomous X and putting the whole thing in mineral oil.

Last edited:
Looks good, you could push that 930 quite a bit higher on water :D

Also, you may want to remove the links to newegg that are in your sig. That's like advertising for newegg, and isn't allowed...

Thanks. I will do so - I'm just worried about hitting TJmax. If I'm hitting 64 under full load at only 3.4, I dont know how much higher I can go.

I can certainly remove the links in my sig, but I'm not affiliated with Newegg in any way, and I certainly don't get commission from them. The only reason they're in there is an easy link for people to see what the component actually looks like.

Thanks. I will do so - I'm just worried about hitting TJmax. If I'm hitting 64 under full load at only 3.4, I dont know how much higher I can go.

You got a ways to go before you hit Tjmax (100C) :D
Of course, I would try to stay in the 75-80C range for a 24/7 OC.

I can certainly remove the links in my sig, but I'm not affiliated with Newegg in any way, and I certainly don't get commission from them. The only reason they're in there is an easy link for people to see what the component actually looks like.

I understand, but rules is rules :rolleyes:

2mmh668.jpg

Getting up there - running at about 58C under full load with the rad fans on medium - could probably go higher but since this is now my main machine I am less inclined to mess around.

I actually just redid the loop and it's better now. Still not great, but there's unfortunately not a whole lot I can do. It's just a bad place for a res, but the only place I could really manage to fit it in.

dumb question

2mmh668.jpg

Getting up there - running at about 58C under full load with the rad fans on medium - could probably go higher but since this is now my main machine I am less inclined to mess around.

How were you able to load MacOS onto your system? I thought that Apple set up the OS so that it needed to see a "special" code in the system's BIOS (or EFI?) :chair:

I purposefully specced this computer out to be as close to a MacPro as possible, so less hacking was required. After that, it was pretty much a Kakewalk.

Yes, I am aware that Macedonia was a country. All of my systems and hard drives are named after ancient civilizations or ideals: Spartan, Atlantean, Macedonian, Viking, Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian...

Back