• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps seem pretty high for water cooling. Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Water_Hazard

Registered
My water cooling is

Swiftech apogee xt cpu block
Koolance Mobo North and South bridge block
Bits power MOSFET block
2x Koolance GTX 480 block
XSPC Rx360 triple 120mm radiator
Swiftech MCR220 Dual 120mm radiator
Swiftech MCP655 rev. B pump

All of that is in a single loop.

I bought another MoBo that arrived yesterday (Same board as I'm currently using, EVGA x58 sli) and while I was messing with it and my old 950, I noticed I could get 4.1ghz stable at only 1.265vcore, on my original board it took 1.31vcore.

I will be breaking my loop down tonight and installing the new board, leaving the mobo air cooled this time. I think the restriction from all the blocks is killing my flow and temps, plus the new mobo seems to be a little better OCer. I will post the results when I get everything set back up.

Also, 72c is the hottest core after folding for about 24hrs on cpu and both gpu's. My gpu's get up to 57c for the first one and 67c for the second after 24hrs. Ambient temp in the room is about 74f. Looks, to me, like the water is moving to slow and has time to heat up more than it should.. What do you guys think?

Making a new thread to get help with my water cooling, so I am not hijacking orion456's vcore thread.

Any advice on the best way to setup my liquid loop would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
You're pretty underradded for 2 gpu's and a cpu. This should be in the WC section. Have you read the sticky in our WC section? I'm going to guess not based on your explanation of why slow flow is bad. Start by reading that sticky then work from there.

All modern rads and recommended pumps are just fine even with two GPU blocks and a CPU block. Add in a full set of Mosfet blocks etc and you might be hurting your flow rate. How do you know? Your temps are poor is a good indication.

Taken from Conumdrum's Flow Rates, Summed Up thread.

from this post it seems like the flow rate could easily be my problem?

I have been told that one triple 120mm rad and one dual 120mm rad was plenty for my loop, how much radiator do you think I would need?

I'd say at least 2 triples for 2 space heaters and a CPU... and read more carefully, like you would a text book or a tour guide book. You're trying to get information and you blew right past this

Lets reduce the flow to 1 GPM. Every 10 seconds. 2 seconds. The molecule will still be in the rad for 12 seconds. Reducing flow rate does not keep the water in the rad for any longer...........................

Same principle applies to blocks, rads, or any other static point in your loop (heck, you could pick a section of tubing and it would apply). I highly suggest you sit down, read the sticky, understand your heatload, then head to skinneelabs.com and get the data you need to build a loop with the noise levels and temps you desire.

I read that, I was just thinking along the lines that I have no clue what my flow is, so for all I know I could be well under 1GPM, and in Conumdrum's thread, he said under 1GPM could effect cpu temps.

I am going to break it all down tonight though. I'll switch the swiftech dual rad out for a DD triple rad I have. Definitely cant hurt. Plus, with taking the water cooled Mobo out of the mix should help a good bit too. I am reading the guide to Delta-T now and also a couple of skinnee's reviews. Will post again if I come across anything I don't understand.

Thanks for your help.

edit: If a mod could please move this to the appropriate water cooling sub-forum it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
You should get another pump just like the one you have and run it in series.

Your GPUs are way just fine, great because they don't need a great DT or high flow.

The CPU, on the other hand is much more sensitive to DT temps and flow.

Too much restriction and not enough rad. When you fold your really pushing the heat on ALL the parts, not like gaming or benching a CPU.

Alternately, you could get another pump/res and make two seperate loops. Your CPU temps would be a bit better, but your really pushin the OC too on a 120x2 rad.

I have an extra MCP655 pump, so I added it when I got home yesterday. After folding all night, It seems to have brought temps down about 4c to 68c on hottest core. Also brought both video cards temps down by about 1c-2c.

I decided against the Black Ice radiator I had as I just don't really think it performs all that well. I ordered another XSPC RX360 radiator and will probably just do 2 separate loops once it gets here. I just don't like it when I start the 480's folding my cpu temps shoot up 3c-4c in about 30 minutes.

Well that's cause you've added heatload to the loop...just having them in a separate loop will drop temps decently. Alternately, you could put the new rad in the current loop and it'd work just fine...you've got the pumpage for it.

Do you think having the 2 XSPC 360 rads in the single loop is enough to keep the spike in temps from happening? I'm not worried about the video cards, as long as they are cooler than what they were on air. I just want to keep the cpu as cool as possible.

Can I refer you to my post? How much reading have you done, and not glossing, but undersanding from this link.

http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/

Your pushing 850 watts, figure out YOURSELF your DT temps and tell me why your CPU temps are so high.

You never mentioned your fans, case, no pics, your ambients (I think). Your choice of fans could be totaly silly. Your case airflow could be non existant. Believe me, I have seen it all. These all are players. Until you see the big picture and the lightbulb lights up, you don't get it.

BTW, the Black Ice. WHAT BI rad, they make so many. This rad with high speed (+2000 RPM) rocks.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Black-Ice-GTX-360-Radiator-pr-3613.html So what BI rad?

Maybe you need to dig in and learn more. Ever heard of Skinneelabs.com?
http://skinneelabs.com/triple-radiator-comparison-v2/

Still the same. Too much restriction, not enuff rad. And not enuff understanding.

Last edited:
This is the black Ice rad I have. the stealth 360.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4...ealth_360_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s161

The fans I use are Cooler master r4 2000rpm in push/pull on both the rx360 and mcr220. My ambient temp in my computer room is 72f-74f. Usually rises to 74 after a couple hours of folding. My case is the corsair 800d.

I have read a lot of skinnee's reviews over the past few years and that is what I based most of my block and rad purchases on. Other than the Black Ice stealth 360 rad, which was the first rad I ever purchased.

I need to get some temp probes so I can get my delta t. I understand that the water temp is going to rise to a certain point (as much heat as the rads and fans can move away) and then it will settle, and the more watts, the harder time the rads have and the higher the temp will be that the water settles at. I have read your Delta t review for the 3rd time now. I am a visual learner so I have to read things over and over sometimes to get them to sink in.

Once I get some temp probes ill get my Delta T and figure out how many watts I'm actually able to get rid of.

You're thinking about it backwards. dT is a dependent variable. Watts dissipated is your independent. As you increase your heatload (for a given fanspeed and radiator) your dT will increase. Calculate your heatload and then you can determine your dT from there.

I wouldn't even bother with that BI rad. It's probably not much better than the MCR 220 you have now. It's also pretty high restriction, and you don't need more restriction for sure.

You just need more rad, possibly another pump.

You also could have bad case airflow. Do the temps drop when you leave the case side off?

Back