• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a holdover till ivy drops. suggestions or comments on parts welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bloodkil

Registered
Due to a series of events I am stuck building a bit earlier than I had planned so I want to keep it relatively cheap so I can build again when ivy drops. Thread in water cooling

Here is my thoughts on a build, but need a bit of help on compatability/what's best.

Maximus Gene IV

i5-2500k

Gskill RipjawsX 1600 2x4gb
Or
Gskill sniper 1600 2x4gb
Or
Gskill sniper low voltage 1600 2x4

Whether or not I can use the MB or not depends on how well a Kryos HF will fit on it as I'm not used to using microATX format. Plus I would like to hit 5ghz on the 2500k which looks like it has been done on that board from reading these forums.

As far as the ram I don't know for sure what the difference between these three is aside from looks (and the low voltage on the last). Am I correct in assuming the low voltage moduals may OC a bit better as they already hit the same timings/speed as the others without the extra volts?

The rest of the parts are listed in the WC thread I linked to above, or will be frankenstiened from the rig in my Sig.

Like I said any input would be great. Thanks

I would definitely recommend the Ripjaws X series. It is G.Skill's high end stuff. From reading alot of reviews, the Sniper series also seems to get a lot of DOA and overall issues especially when OCing.

I have had some issues with LV DDR3,on sandy. Crucial and OCZ to be specific.

The Gskill ripjaws X 1.5 1600 has been stellar in all the systems I have put it in,even though it is LV spec??

Looks solid, you shouldnt have to rebuild when ivy drops, its supposed to be a drop in replacement for SB. I have a set of the ripjaws X 1866 and there solid. Id assume the 1600 to be of equal quality.

@bypolar1 1.5v is in the standard JDEC spec for DDR3 so I wouldnt consider it LV. Most of the LV stuff is 1.2-1.35v

Looks solid, you shouldnt have to rebuild when ivy drops, its supposed to be a drop in replacement for SB. I have a set of the ripjaws X 1866 and there solid. Id assume the 1600 to be of equal quality.

@bypolar1 1.5v is in the standard JDEC spec for DDR3 so I wouldnt consider it LV. Most of the LV stuff is 1.2-1.35v

Ahh, my mistake I thought it was.

There are 'discussions' about IB dropping into Z68/P67/H67. If you head over to the Intel discussions you will see. Basically due to bios issues and a long complicated explanation... you may or may not need a new board to take Ivybridge. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

I ended up grabbing the gene z, 2500k, and corsair vengance for under 400 after coupons at newegg. I would have preferred the ripjaw x, but once again am trying to keep.the build under 1k so the wife to be don't throw a fit when I rebuild in less than a year (I spent about 525 for water parts and a little bit on other mods)

As far as keeping the board for ivy that may be possible, but I have heard some rumors that the gene z won't support, not to mention the fact as feature packed as it is the lack of extra pcie and SATA ports will make it hard to move too as I want to go sli + revo + may add another 3tb drive by the time it hits and my SATA slots are already filled/gene z has 2 pci-e....

That said it looks like the board clocks well and though I'm stuck waiting on a fitting that was missed in ly order I can't wait to see how far I can get.this chip to go.

Back