• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Brilinear ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy X

With the R300 series of cards and the 8500 series ATI adopted an angle dependant anisotropic filtering method . This saved framerate while giving identical image quality to 'full' af (which worked on all angles) except for the cases in a game where there are textures at the angles left out by ATI . Many people did'nt like it and wanted to see those angles rendered properly as wel , but for most it was a non-issue . ATI then redeemed itself by offering full trilinear high quality af when the application asked for it . This contrasted with Nvidia's NV3x method now called brilinear which is a mix between bilinear and trilinear filtering . NV's method offered much better performance than trilinear while looking close to trilinear quality . The problem is that this was forced on the consumer no matter if you or the game chose trilinear filtering and it looked worse than even ATI's angle-dependent AF . Nvidia of course held some stick for this and rightly so . They have now given the user the option to have full trilinear , but unfortunately only with the NV40 series .

But there is a breaking thread here :

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12486&start=0

This thread is questioning whether ATI is now into the brilinear filtering game as well with the R420 ! This is a serious accusation and is being investigated .

My thoughts so far :

1/ Looks fishy but inconclusive at present .

2/ Based ont the quote below either NV is doing it again as well or our current understanding of the issue is just wrong .

"Well, there´s another interresting point. NV40 is loosing performance with colored mipmaps in UT2004 as well:

8x Aniso (set in control panel for both)

NV40U (Normal/ColoredMips)
1024x768: 103,81 / 103,77
1280x1024: 95,04 / 91,45
1600x1200: 74,99 / 71,13

R420XT
1024x768: 105,66 / 105,73
1280x1024: 105,07 / 105,13
1600x1200: 103,61 / 95,93

Keep in mind that the test is CPU limited at lower resolutions. I was using v60.72 for NV40, with TrilOpt on. So NV40 is loosing even when using Brilinear!

I asked a guy at Epic on what they are doing when firstcoloredmip 1 is used:

all the engine does when you use colored miplevels is replace the color data. Texture format, dimension and all other properties remain unchanged so you shouldn't see a change in performance if everything is handled according to the specification.

You might want to talk to NVIDIA and ATI about this directly

Lars - THG "

3/ Could be bug ................. unlikely .

4/ ATI has said that this new generation will do AF somewhat differently . It is possible that we just don't understand it . Or worse that they meant brilinear :eek: .

5/ Finally for now , I need to see ATI's official response and see what happens when some more guys do some more testing .

OMG, ATI is the cheaterz like nVidia!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully, this will get some of the ATI lovers who bash nVidia to stop or bash both :)

bleh, b3d isn't working for me ...

Cowboy X said:
With the R300 series of cards and the 8500 series ATI adopted an angle dependant anisotropic filtering method . This saved framerate while giving identical image quality to 'full' af (which worked on all angles) except for the cases in a game where there are textures at the angles left out by ATI . Many people did'nt like it and wanted to see those angles rendered properly as wel , but for most it was a non-issue . ATI then redeemed itself by offering full trilinear high quality af when the application asked for it . [...]

So how does that work? Is it the problem that the left-out angles are forced to be filtered bilinear rather than trilinear (unless coloured mipmaps are in use)?
So if it were to be 'full AF', it wouldn't be using bilinear or trilinear filtering at all or am I misunderstanding how AF works?
I'm trying to understand the link with why people say "so much for the free AF".

As it has been mentioned before, I'll mention it again.

If you select your AF level through the ATI control panel, only the first texture stage is trilinear filtered and all others are bilinear filtered. If the actual application makes the request for trilinear AF, all texture stages receive trilinear filtering. The control panel settings are for those games that have no AF level setting in-game. This has been known, and publically announced, for a long time.

Since UT actually has a setting in-game for AF, you should use the built-in setting versus the control panel. This will likely solve the issue, because as clearly stated:
8x Aniso (set in control panel for both)

sounds intresting. this would really annoy some ati users a lot.

but lets remember that as far as I am aware there are no application optimizations found as of yet on ati drivers...

Re: Re: ATI Brilinear ?

As it has been mentioned before, I'll mention it again.

If you select your AF level through the ATI control panel, only the first texture stage is trilinear filtered and all others are bilinear filtered. If the actual application makes the request for trilinear AF, all texture stages receive trilinear filtering. The control panel settings are for those games that have no AF level setting in-game. This has been known, and publically announced, for a long time.

Since UT actually has a setting in-game for AF, you should use the built-in setting versus the control panel. This will likely solve the issue, because as clearly stated:

this is actually different then that. it seems that ATI is detecting colored mip-maps in the drivers and doing fill trilinear on them and doing brilinear when it doesn't detect them. what this means is when you use a synthetic filtering tester, they are forcing trilinear so you think its using it. but in games its actually doing brilinear.

this is with it all set on "application control"

Well, again, if it was set in the control panel, then it's going to be Trilinear + Bilinear anyway. The reviewer said, and I quote, that the 8x Aniso setting was forced through the control panel, which means it's not the actual application making the request. And again, only when the specific application makes the reqest will it do full trilinear filtering on all texture passes.

Until they test it with Unreal's application settings, they will continue to get inconclusive results -- does that make sense? The control panel "force setting" is only meant for applications that do not have AF options built-in.

some updated quotes from B3D:

If you are talking about something occurring in "lines" in the texture ("mip map transitions"):

"Naive" bilinear prominently causes that issue of "crawling" above a certain level of detail and contrast level for the textures (a level of detail that is very common nowadays, and contrast level that is pretty likely in a wide variety of situations).

"Naive" trilinear works to solve that problem directly by working to do extra blending. It pretty much removes the issue completely.

Theoretically, you could, as an alternative, do "tricks" that might not be "naive" to try and solve the problem with "naive" bilinear, but without actually doing "naive" trilinear. "Fast trilinear" can be thought of as such a "trick", that (AFAIK, though extensive testing hasn't been established yet) is successful enough to be a (faster) substitute for trilinear in the general case.

"Brilinear" is a name termed for an intermediate step between bilinear and trilinear...better than bilinear, but not as complete as trilinear. Whether it will have the "line crawl" that bilinear has depends on how "naive" it is and where it falls in between them...

If done in a "naive" way, and with the position in between them that seems to be done in order to get performance benefits, the success of "brilinear" tends to fall significantly short of "naive" trilinear, and so far hasn't had a good track record in established observation of being sufficiently close to trilinear in effectiveness. Therefore, a "naive" brilinear is quite ill-suited to silently replace trilinear, and this is why the burden is on ATI for an explanation to show that the indication of brilinear (proven) is not "naive" (unknown).
A "naive" brilinear appears to be what was identified for nVidia in the past over a period of time (well, for the FX series...the 6800U's "brilinear" hasn't yet been evaluated to see if it is different, AFAIK), where the deficiency to trilinear has been shown to be evident in "moving" video and even to still have noticable issues in still screenshots which aren't good at showing the issue. We don't have either for the current issue at the moment.

However, what seems to be the case is that the 1) X800 brilinear is not quite "naive", and that RV360 (9600) brilinear, also assumed to be "non naive", has gone unnoticed as being lacking in comparison to trilinear by many gamers. This doesn't mean there still isn't a significant problem with silently replacing trilinear with it...the lack of a problem with that is something that would have to be proven. It just indicates a possibility that the "non naive" aspects of it put it closer to "naive" trilinear than past experience with "naive" brilinear.

This is why there is still a lot of questions, and what the article's analysis didn't happen to address completely, though the article calling it a cheat based on past experience is based on a quite logical set of assumptions.

jvd wrote:
Okay . I don't have some of these fancy testing programs

But i got a few people together . We had an x800pro , 9700pro , 9600xt 5800ultra
We had unreal 2k3 , 2k4 , cod , quake 3 all running , highest quality and highest aniso we could run it at .

No one for the life of us could see a diffrence between the radeons. My little sister commented on the fx though. She said it looked blurrier .I couldn't see a diffrence though.

SithSolo1 wrote:
Did you run it on the same monitor

jvd wrote:
Not the same monitor. Same type . all set up to screen defaults (bought 20 of them got a really good deal ) they are 19 inch sony trinitrons .

mica

latest quote from B3D:

Here´s the official ATI response:

There has been a lot of discussion about our trilinear filtering algorithms
recently.

The objective of trilinear filtering is to make transitions between mipmap
levels as near to invisible as possible. As long as this is achieved, there
is no "right" or "wrong" way to implement the filtering.

We have added intelligence to our filtering algorithm to increase
performance without affecting image quality. As some people have
discovered, it is possible to show differences between our filtering
implementations for the RADEON 9800XT and RADEON X800. However, these
differences can only be seen by subtracting before and after screenshots and
amplifying the result. No-one has claimed that the differences make one
implementation "better" than another.

Our algorithm for image analysis-based texture filtering techniques is
patent-pending. It works by determining how different one mipmap level is
from the next and then applying the appropriate level of filtering. It only
applies this optimization to the typical case - specifically, where the
mipmaps are generated using box filtering. Atypical situations, where each
mipmap could differ significantly from the previous level, receive no
optimizations. This includes extreme cases such as colored mipmap levels,
which is why tests based on color mipmap levels show different results.
Just to be explicit: there is no application detection going on; this just
illustrates the sophistication of the algorithm.

We encourage users to experiment with moving the texture preference slider
from "Quality" towards "Performance" - you will see huge performance gains
with no effect on image quality until the very end, and even then, the
effect is hardly noticeable. We are confident that we give gamers the best
image quality at every performance level.

Microsoft does set some standards for texture filtering and the company's
WHQL process includes extensive image quality tests for trilinear filtering
and mipmapping. CATALYST passes all these tests - and without application
detection, which could be used if you wanted to get a lower-quality
algorithm go undetected through the tests.

Finally, ATI takes image quality extremely seriously and we are confident
that we set the bar for the whole industry. We don't undertake changes to
our filtering algorithms lightly, and perform considerable on-line and
off-line image analysis before implementing changes. This algorithm has
been in public use for over a year in our RADEON 9600 series products, and
we have not received any adverse comments on image quality in that time. If
anyone does find any quality degradation as a result of this algorithm, they
are invited to report it to ATI. If there is a problem, we will fix it.

mica

oh no http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=297742

wuuppps

and its not a cheat. it applies the optimized filtering only on non coloured mipmaps = you will not see the difference.

NVidia = you will see the difference (fixed FIXED I know I know but they did it).

moreover ati replied. nvidia keeps their mouth shut and hides in a corner. Customer handeling and support is very good with ati me thinks now.

what a lie right in their press release, microsoft does not test trilinear filtering. :rolleyes:

i love how people are defending ati over this its funny. fact is the app is requesting trilinear and your not getting it, that simple. no different then nvidia.

Ok wait, whole new theory:

Someone mentioned something on Beyond3D that sparked a thought... This "new thing" was called Adaptive AF, but it really isn't. Trilinear filtering is completely seperate from anisotropic filtering; they do two entirely different things.

Trilinear filtering has no exact mathematical equation assigned to it. Somewhere between eye space and screen space and world space is where the estimation of proper anisotropic filtering and trilinear filtering is decided. It's not a solid math concept.

Trilinear filtering was "invented" to hide the texture staging lines between mipmap levels that were visible during bilinear filtering. Otherwise you get those ugly mipmap boundary lines rolling across the walls and floor and ceiling and over everything else in the eye space as you move forward or backward.

The clarity of textures is not trilinear filtering, that is anisotropic filtering. Trilinear filtering ONLY works on getting rid of the mipmap boundaries; anisotropic filtering is what works on extending the LOD further out to give you a crisp detail at further distances without pixel crawling.

It seems to me that this new trilinear filtering method may be better than what was previously used, and we're seeing it because it's showing limitations in ATI's ansiotropic filtering methods. We have people talking about blurry textures and pixel crawling on textures and bad LOD; you're talking about anisotropic filtering in those quips.

Let me state this again in a bright color that everyone will see:

Trilinear ONLY gets rid of mipmap boundary lines when moving through the scene, it does not clean up pixel crawling issues or blurry textures at further viewing distances. THOSE ISSUES are anisotropic filtering

I think we're seeing a problem with ATI's anisotropic filtering algorithm, partially due to the better implementation of their style of trilinear filtering. My opinion of course...

Last edited:
OH THE LIES!!! Welcome to the end of the discussion:

IMG0007851_1.jpg

IMG0007852_1.jpg

Bar81 said:
OMG, ATI is the cheaterz like nVidia!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully, this will get some of the ATI lovers who bash nVidia to stop or bash both :)

who cares if they are both cheating everything is equal and ATI still comes out on top so cheating or no cheating ATI wins

How is that the end of the discussion? I don't quite understand?

Trilinear filtering, had you paid attention, is not a mathimatic constant. Trilinear filtering is a "method", and the "method" is working exactly as advertised. It is enabled by default, and unless you can show me moving pictures of mipmap boundary lines rolling across the walls and floor while moving, then it's still working.

I made my previous statement in bright yellow, how did you miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back