• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Brilinear ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats all you have to back up your claim? its saying the exact same thing that you have been saying. until i see something that shows that there is ONE RIGHT WAY to do Trilinear filtering, this discusion is over.

micamica1217 said:

nice try...
the tech report has not shown that the new ATI x800 cards are not doing triliner filtering....infact, they show nothing.
nothing but talk....no wonder you show a link to it.

mica
That's not the point of the article. The point is that ATI states that Trilinear Filtering is on by default, however, the truth is that it's only on when asked directly by the game to be on. Thus, Brilinear Filtering is on by default.

BTW, something weird about that sentence... kinda reminds me of someone else's words in two other threads... "nothing but talk"... hummm.

After flicking between those CTF-Face3 shots for afew minutes, i have to say whats the visible difference? And are you going to notice it unless you stop and stare? Then how about without being able to compare it? THEN how about whilst you are jump-dodging backwards with the enemy flag trying to place a lightning rifle shot in that other b*****d's head? These manufacturers havent stated that they render EACH pass in full AF, it looks amazing the performance is better. Just give it a break, i dont see you designing a graphicscard that can out perform these beasts :)

~t0m

well it sounds like ATI uses full trilinear filtering when its needed (the game askes for it) but in many cases if you have a texture directly facing you you barely need any filtering on it according to ati. so the don't filter it. this saves performance and gives you the same image quality

CPL.Luke said:
well it sounds like ATI uses full trilinear filtering when its needed (the game askes for it) but in many cases if you have a texture directly facing you you barely need any filtering on it according to ati. so the don't filter it. this saves performance and gives you the same image quality

what your talking about is ATI's "angle adaptive" anisotropic filtering. thats not what this thread is about. they have been doing that since the original r300.(maybe even r200 i'm not sure)

xtrmeocr said:

what your talking about is ATI's "angle adaptive" anisotropic filtering. thats not what this thread is about. they have been doing that since the original r300.(maybe even r200 i'm not sure)

true, but it's basicly the same point....

trilinear is always on, no matter what.
it's just the amount of filtering algorithm used on some rare textures.

think of it this way boys:

what is the side effect of legasy triliner?
some times you may see soft textures (not sharp)

what is the side effect of briliner?
it's the fact that it acts like biliner.

now what is the side effect of ATI's optimised triliner?
some (rare) textures are sharper then legasy triliner.(as if this was a bad thing...lol)
yet it acts nothing like biliner or brilinear, because it isn't....it's like a "smart" triliner.

if anything....it's better then the legasy triliner we are used to.

Pake said:

That's not the point of the article. The point is that ATI states that Trilinear Filtering is on by default, however, the truth is that it's only on when asked directly by the game to be on. Thus, Brilinear Filtering is on by default.

BTW, something weird about that sentence... kinda reminds me of someone else's words in two other threads... "nothing but talk"... hummm.

ahhh...see what I said just above your quote.....

the crazy thing is, the site knows nothing about what it's saying.
it even quotes that ATI says triliner is always on.:rolleyes:
it shows nothing about how ATI's triliner is anything like briliner (they even call it "ATI's adaptive trilinear filtering")....it's all talk, and it's about as close to incorect as it can be.
(btw, you realy don't think that the GF2, GF3, and GF4 use the same algorithm for triliner filtering, do you?)
all cards use a slight differance in algorithms for triliner....yet this is an optimisation that is more like an advancement in triliner, not a setback like the type of AA we now have.(was SSAA, now MSAA)

mica

Last edited:
Bar81 said:
So, in the end I'm right (and in case that doesn't register, conversely, you're WRONG.) I would trust John Carmack's opinion over anyone on these boards every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a cheat and you can see the obvious difference in quality here as well as Carmack outing ATI and the ATI Fanboys:
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040603/ati_optimized-07.html

where did you see an OBVIOUS difference in quality? because i didnt see any GAMEPLAY screen shots. and as cowboy stated in his link, if it gets rid of the mip map boundry its tri linear. jeez dude, get off it. i honestly dont see the point in bringing it back from the dead.

Cowboy X said:
Bar81 Please look here :

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=302192

At the time very few people outside of ATI understood the method and thus the coloured mip map performance loss looked like a "cheat" . Since then however that has in my opinion been cleared up until proven otherwise .

John Carmack:
This is indeed a "cheat" that both major vendors now do. Instead of always sampling the two adjacent mip map levels and doing a full blend between them, they have plateaus where only a single mip level is sampled, reducing the average samples from 8 to about 6.

It is actually a pretty sensible performance enhancement, with minimal visual issues. However, having drivers analyze mip map uploads to hide the cheat is an unfortunate consequence.

The colored mip map option in Q3 should have absolutely zero performance impact in the absence of performance options like this.

John Carmack
I always believed that a graphics card is suppose to render a game the way the game developers made it. If he's calling it a cheat, then it's a cheat. They are the judges of quality for their product. Put aside the reviewer's comment and judge it by how the game developer wants it to be judged.

Even though IQ lose is VERY small, if Carmack says it's cheating on his engine, then it's cheating.

You are missing the point , where is the cheating in the games which we all play with coloured mip maps on ????? I don't recall playing any of them . Different methods of filtering will always produce different images slightly from generation to generation and manufacturer to manufacturer . So the pixel difference screenshots in this case mean nothing if the mip map borders are being properlyy blended . Again properly blended in gameplay . I'm still waiting for it to be shown doing anything different .

Cowboy X said:
You are missing the point , where is the cheating in the games which we all play with coloured mip maps on ????? I don't recall playing any of them . Different methods of filtering will always produce different images slightly from generation to generation and manufacturer to manufacturer . So the pixel difference screenshots in this case mean nothing if the mip map borders are being properlyy blended . Again properly blended in gameplay . I'm still waiting for it to be shown doing anything different .
All comes down to the game developer to give the last word. Carmack calls it cheating on his engine, plain and simple. I call it some damn good optimizations, but when playing his game that uses his engine, it's cheating.

trillinear filtering is trillinear filtering. there is no set standard that says that is HAS to be done on the full screen to qualify.

its like when video cards only render the poly's that will actually be seen by the gamer. noone says that vid card companies are "cheating" for omitting the poly's that aren't visible. how is this any different?

like cowboy says, its the NET results that matter.

carmack can dissagree if he likes...but meh.

You can look at it this way... There are some trucks that turn of cylinders when they aren't needed, think of this 'Smart' Trillinear as not wasting fuel pointlessly... When it does not need Trillinear it won't use it, what is cheating about that! (Hope my analogy makes sence...)

Since this discussion is being resumed in a new thread, I'm closing this one.

Bar, I read your posts here. If I had been here when you posted, you would have been out on a 3-day. I'd recommend that you read this thread. Name calling will not be tolerated. Flaming and flamebaiting are not tolerated. I'm giving an immediate warning for that kind of behavior, and if it's repeated, a 3-day. When I said, "I am sick and tired of the flames and foul language I have seen ...". -- Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back