• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thiddy needs another case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
This is a sort of followup to this thread. It is older, huge and I need to update it; so instead of changing it, I'm starting it over.

I have my painted CM830 Evo Stacker right now. I love the paint job, I really do; but the airflow is horrid and this doesn't fit my parts like I want and does not have the proper airflow that I need. Add that it doesn't have good wire management and is packed tight...makes it a PITA to work on.

So, updated list:

------------------------------------------------------------

There are a couple rules:
  1. Price is not a problem (to a point, no $300+ cases), but cheaper is better
  2. Size is not an issue, the bigger the better
  3. I have no problem modding (removing grills, new holes)
  4. Quiet is higher priority
The case MUST:
  • Be able to support full ATX
  • Take AT LEAST 4 drives, they must be actively cooled
  • If there is a door, it has to have space on the inside for my fan controller
  • Decent airflow (Cosmos is too little)
  • I don't like large fans (200mm+), they don't push much air and have horrible pressure
  • Color doesn't matter....to a point
  • Weight/material doesn't matter
I'll add more if I think of it. I'm picky...very very picky.

I have looked at:
  • CM Cosmos (too little airflow...don't really care for the design)
  • CM Stacker 830 Evolution (already have)
  • Lian-Li 2000/2100 (love them, airflow is a little on the low side)
  • Gigabyte 3D Aurora (not bad)
  • Antec 900 (don't care for, too small)
  • Antec 1200 (considering)
  • Thermaltake Armor (loved this case when I had it)
  • Thermaltake Armor PLUS (HATE, DO NOT WANT, uglier than sin)
  • Thermaltake Mozart TX (don't like the design)
  • Cooler Master Storm Sniper (too small, don't care for the design)
  • Antec Skeleton (don't like, too small)
  • XCLIO Blackhawk (considering, probably won't be interested)
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 932 (Not sure if I like the style)
Any input/pictures/impressions/personal reviews are highly appreciated. I must make a point. I do not "just go" with a case, that is why I'm doing information gathering here. I've been looking for a few weeks, but I just can't decide.

If I forgot any information or need to add anything, I'll do so.

Last edited:
Too small honestly and I don't care for the look :-/

Thanks for the suggestion though.

What do you think of the Antec Skeleton cases, Thiddy? I've been considering one myself. It has a larger fan, but I hear it's quiet, and 'pressure' is not so much an issue with an open case.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=15125
Bleh, I don't like how cramped it is :-/. If I want to go open, I'd grab a Navig benching station (considering that too :p)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103026

I've had a chance to use it, and it's pretty nice. kinda like an Antec 1200...but way less radical. Check out the pic of the top of the case as well, I think you'll like the front I/O panel. Plus it has 4 120MM fans, and I think a 200MM on the side.
Haha, that panel is different :santa:

Overall, it looks like a decent case, but construction looks a little shoddy/cramped :-/

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add them to my list.

Last edited:
I have a 3d Aurora 570 (not the original 3d Aurora) in black so if you have any questions about that, fire away. I can tell you that I have a Scythe fan controller and the door fits easily over that. My SD card is hanging out of my card reader and it closes over that too. It's quiet as it's 120mm fans all around (2 in the rear, one in the front). The stock fans are slow and don't move a lot of there, so I bought those orange/black Xigmatek fans and they look nice as well as move a decent amount while being quiet. They run at around 1500rpm but you can turn them down to about 1000rpm for the best compromise between noise and CFM output. In the box they send you two options for the side panel: mesh panel and a clear window, nice touch.

Last edited:
I have a 3d Aurora 570 (not the original 3d Aurora) in black so if you have any questions about that, fire away. I can tell you that I have a Scythe fan controller and the door fits easily over that. My SD card is hanging out of my card reader and it closes over that too. It's quiet as it's 120mm fans all around (2 in the rear, one in the front). The stock fans are slow and don't move a lot of there, so I bought those orange/black Xigmatek fans and they look nice as well as move a decent amount while being quiet. They run at around 1500rpm but you can turn them down to about 1000rpm for the best compromise between noise and CFM output. In the box they send you two options for the side panel: mesh panel and a clear window, nice touch.
That does seem like a pretty decent case, although I don't see much airflow happening without modifying it (fans in the 5.25's). Let me add that I run a QX9650 @ 4.0 and a GTX260 full out; so I have a ton of heat that I need to dissipate.

Besides the airflow problem, I do like it.

Anyone know where to get Lian-Li's cheaper? Someone showed me a place that had the 2xxx series for under $200.

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't have a lot of time to myself these days so I bought one of those new Scythe 5.25 bay devices that has a 120mm fan in it already from Petra's. It's the only thing that I would mark down from this case. The mesh window does help a lot though. And the window is just over the motherboard, none of the hard drive cages or powersupply or anything. There is a large enough gap from the door when it closed underneath it that I don't think it will be a problem for a fan in the 5.25bay to get air. It is aluminum so it is light. The front piece is of a much thicker construction so when it's empty and you pick it up it's rather front heavy.

The only other downside to this case is the door makes an annoying clang when you close it as just hits the top aluminum piece.. I got out a tiny piece of small velcro and put it at the contact point (can't even see it if you aren't looking for it) and now it makes a nice reassuring thud. :)

Not to mention I run my e8400/GTX 260 in mine. The case is deep (supports eATX and all that) and there's a good 3inches or so between the GTX 260 and the start of the hard drive cage, and that's with the video card hanging past the motherboard.

Not to mention I run my e8400/GTX 260 in mine. The case is deep (supports eATX and all that) and there's a good 3inches or so between the GTX 260 and the start of the hard drive cage, and that's with the video card hanging past the motherboard.

Thanks for the info/pic, seems like a pretty decent case. Still a little on the small side though :p

Im almost finished modding my rocketfish :)

Only thing left is 3x120mm fan holes on top of case (need the hole saw maybe this weekend :)

Added second 120mm rear exhaust, wheels and handles to top. Top is already set measured and set for the 3 fan/120.3 rad up top :)

Dropping one of the 2 hdd cages out of the case, might add bottom 120mm fan and not sure about sidepanel yet... also removed one of the 5.25" shelves so I can get a 4in 3 hdd cage with 120mm fan in there too :)

considerded using hte front door as a "shelf" towards the bottom of the case to give the HDD/PSU its own cooling channel, but decided against it.

That is the other option, I do have one sitting here...

Since you are the one with all the money in this toilet economy,TJ-07
or MM Pinnacle hands down. Also checkout boxy MM UFO and "Revolutionary" Silverstone Raven.

mm pinnacle fails as a computer case.

room for 2 rads, but no room for HDDs? How did they overlook that?

3x5.25 bays means spending 30 more dollars on a 3 in 2 lianli cage adapter, instead of spending less and getting a 4in3 with 120mm fan

Also means that with 3in2 and a dvddrive, there is no room for a fan controller (unless it has one integrated which at 270 bucks it should).

Also means no 5.25" resevoir, so will have to get eitehr one of those cylindrical ones, run with no res , but it does not mention anytihng about including a fill port, so eitehr of these options means cutting your 270 dolalr case) or going external. Which is kind of silly getting a giant case and needing to mount stuff externally.

The UFOs on the other hand have room for everything, unfortunately cube desing and not very efficient. Too big a footprint. I would rather have a desk high tower alongside of desk.

EDIT: I like that 90 degree mobo mounting case, but it does not look like it leaves a lot of room for hte wires to stick out before that top piece smooshes them. Would not work with my 24" CRT, since I have to use a DVI/VGA adapter. (Guess I could knuckle down and get me a VGA to BNC cable though)

Nah.

I would build my own before dropping that kind of coin on a case.

Back