• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dremel vs pile of shame.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

So to bring you up to speed im sat smiling at my new pet beside me on the sofa right now.

A dog perhaps... mans best friend?

nope all they have in common is a luring nature to get you playing nicely.

yes its pet dremel... hes only a day old and already hes chewed his way threw my old case... bless :)

So anyhow in the begining was this...
case.jpg
AND THIS!
rads.jpg
A terrable sensory infliction... erm to say it polite :soda:

so restless one night with my fears of burning to death through wiring most horid or being washed away helpless in a toxic torrent by the fate of a leaking rad. I had a vision, a vision so blindingly intense it must have involved at least eighteen clown fans and a couple of cathodes ;)

So driven by this vision I set to the task with biro and erm cheap ring binder paper... (what with two GPU a wacom tablet and 14GIG of one ram type or another it was the obvious choice)
rad case.jpg
now upon first glance at this sketch you may think `hold on wheres the crappy zalmans in this picture?` imediately by `heres hoping!`

and yes youd be right.... no more mixed metals. :bday:

so erm now I guess I should take erm photos and document this transformation? :rolleyes:

ok will do.... except the swapping out of cases and cable management plus the gutting of the old machine (dont have a time machine ;))

so there you go... curious on how it goes then this is the place to look... simple.

until the photos...

have fun!

(going to look for things to Dremel!)

Last edited:
Am I missing the final result?

And wow was that case a rats nest of wires, sweet jebus!

nope your sort of early for a final result...
some stuffs here some stuffs on its way... neighbours dont like drill noises at this time of night.

that general kind of thing.

I have a new CABLE MANAGED! case... new push pull clown fan configuration and a gutted old case with some templates stuck on it.

no camera just now... maybe tomorrow followed by some progress see how it goes.

(need the other three computers out the way for work space... oh and earthdog that mobo I thought I had fried with the fpanel connectors had an exploding pata drive in it... was nothing to do with my guess work #End chuckles# :))

gonna be good when it's done! you going to run a secondary psu?

i'm half considering wiring one up for my wall hanger.

secondry psu... maybe I should work out how much im currently using?

after buying the corsair 1000W im not in a hurry for funs sake :)

you think 18fans, 2 cathodes, 2 D5 varios, 2 GPU`s, 5 drives and a quad core may be getting a bit much or just a convinience one box, self priming type thing?

i`ll see how it goes moving the templates for the cut out as low as possible and also mount the pumps upside down maybe to utilise the space same end as the psu`s situated. its all good because the 5 1/4 hole for the fan controllers the same end also.

ive orderd a side panel with window for my case :D
not very Dremel modding impressive at all you may feel but that gives me a whole side panel to chop for the front top and back of the old case... winner!

funny thing thus far is ive had to mod my tool boxes to accomodate my new weapons selection... must be the warm up session.

still now I can find everything for a change tidy natured beasty that I am :rolleyes:

Last edited:
thats what i'm running, minus the second gpu on 1 850watt, with no issues, at least i don't think.

my harddrives keep dying...

Holy Smokes!
Bobby emerges from ghetto-leetness!
Spawn and I must have inspired you a bit to go with an external with real radiators perhaps? hahahaha!

BTW, mine's leak testing now. Love testing externals because you can still use the computer with an air cooler while it's at it.

Well ive got my best grin on after todays assault.

the case is chopped and rad grill cable tied in place for a tester...
it fits!
Just!
Like a glove.

so theres just enough room for the two rads, two pumps and fan controller (No second psu`s gonna fit in there... unless its the size of a matchbox)

everything but the fan controllers turned up at the door.
this is not to say anomily free.

Here is the official X-file report...

Friday 04/09/2009

recieved one very well packed side door which looked great... for ten minutes then I relize theres a hole? not just any hole its the kind of hole where somebody or thing in the lian factory should have put a hex rounded screw!

somewhere in lian land somebody or something has it... could do with it on the rest of the door where it belongs really :shrug:

Case file #2

It seems the effects of transportation on certain items of plastic can have an ill effect on progress. I orderd a 1/4 res light... by the time it arrived it was 7/16. Im currently working hard for a solution. I think if I order a 1/2 inch fitting by 3rd class delivery it should have shrunk to around a 1/4 inch fitting by the time it arrives at the door ;)

we shall see how the tests fair!

And finally... you may be wondering if anything better than a promise and biro sketch may turn up. Well my mothers got a bad back and a good camera... so its on hold (the camera that is, I dont want her bad back)

so here ends the update... im off now to evict this huge wasp/hornet thats annoyed about being stuck in the kitchen now. Just hope it understands its my kitchen and not its nest! :-/

I bet your saving the day for a few ppl that reads your posts
Sorry for going off topic here but i just have to give you credit for writing in an interresting and funny way
I'm joining the crowd that looks foward to see your progress with your project

Subscribed here too ;-))

I'm surprised there weren't any birds in that case there.

This new case should definitely be an improvement.

there was two minced up crane fly`s and some bits of moth... oh and a spider(Guess there was plenty of offferings for it and plenty of places to hang a web).
didnt find anything living off them though. Guess I interupted the eco system before larger prey moved in :shrug:

maybe a couple more months and who knows :rolleyes:

Anyhow youd be right about the new case :D

I was thinking of fitting a bar in there.... maybe a night club, then perhaps stringing a hammack so I can bask in the light and cool breeze ;)

health and safety would never allow it until that fan controller turns up.

this much is true, ive nearly had the string from my hooded top caught in thoes fans a couple of times now. trying to see whats going off a tad too keen. :-/

I can see it now "modder mortaly wounded in freak rad box fan disaster"
one final stress test for the psu and whoosh gone head first by the hood string.

anyhow back to it... thinking about swapping my mostly present door screws, which then leads to the concept of chopping up the original... which requires some planning and id best not fluff it up either #Laughs#

Last edited:
well this is it :D

appologise for the lack of photographic evidence on this project so far.... lots to show.

the "it" that this is to throw some light on it is that I have indeed dremeled everything.... sweet jebus the cutting blades vanish quick (mostly flying by my nose... steel case :-/)

the case is transformed erm into a skeleton crammed full of radiators, resovoirs and pumpage with one controller where it should be!

im plumbed in and leak testing :clap:

just need to hold out for some trimmings (already dremel polished my shiny shiny stainless rad grills (there so shiny!)

going for a front and back made from clear acrylic back painted gloss black to match the controller. friendly material to lead the four hoses in and out of too ;)

I will get a serious round of photos in between this stage and the cosmetic pimpage.

assuming all is well I have to break it all down for some spray painting :-/
allways better than the other way round and then having to alter something drastic and mess up the finish.

all in with the experience id say were winning... its so blingy i`ll have to keep the curtains closed tonight for the full test or people will be getting up for work #Chuckles#
not to mention the little orphans lucking under it excitedly for presents.

all will be revealed... I let you know when to use the gamma adjustment on your monitor and heavy tint goggles.

meanwhile you can practice by stairing at the sun maybe?

never been a clown fan fan really :shrug:
but were making a start in style (of some description #Chuckles#)

EDIT. test off due to rain (from the cpu block? just the slightest drip... investigating as to pipes or seal?)
so id best not fire up the machine tonight now its possibly got a bit of water behind the north block area :-/
ay well best find out whats coming out of where...

Last edited:
Oh the rain sucks, sorry 'bout that!
Can't wait to see the finished package though!!!

well I think the really tiny leak was the seal on the cpu block which I had stripped for a good scrub up.

just needed a little more pressure on the seal... didnt find anyhing this morning so I fired it up and no problem so far.

just deionized water in the system right now... best start thinking about some acrylic sheet and spray paint, and get some chems in the mix before it becomes my new fury friend :-/

well best crack on...
be nice to recover some standing room in this house after a driven modding session.
seem to have unleashed the rats nest on the house now :-/
If im not carefull i`ll start growing fur and nesting in the case chippings... think im already nocturnal #Eeek# I mean #Chuckles!#

Back