• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some 5.1 or 7.1 Headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd say look at the Razer Megalodon, and the Logitech G35, but you would be bypassing your soundcard with both of those I think.

5.1/7.1 sound emulation headphones are quirky - sometimes they work, sometimes they suck. Look at Sennheiser products. Not sure if they do 5.1/7.1 emulation but they're the bees knees for sound quality!

5.1/7.1 is for speakers, like said it would be emulation... IMO its not good to use 5.1/7.1 emu. i used some Altec headset better sq and i used stereo only, i could pin point people with no problems. i did try the 5.1/7.1 with the headset and it not only sounded like crap but sounds were from the wrong direction...

Thanks for the replies

@Evilsizer

Well I had a 5.1 headset before and I was able to tell where everything was, but it broke and now I'm using my sennheiser hd202 headphones and it's hard to tell if somethings behind me or not.

@ Darionis

Both those are usb and won't be using my soundcard, I'd prefer something analog.

I'll have to see if my brother would let me try his out again, cause last time I compared them to my hd202's and they sounded almost the same.

5.1/7.1 headphones aren't worth it.. You pay the extra for that 'emulation' of it, but for what? the G35 logitech is fine for stereo, but i've read nothing but bad for the 7.1 emulation.

I play left 4 dead online, and with my Shure SRH840 I can hear everything from their respective angles as well.. And its only stereo. If they're made well enough the drivers in the cans can still produce a fairly accurate sense of direction. It also is dependant on your perception of things and how you hear things though..

"surround sound" headphones are gimmicky. It's best to stick to a headphone with a large soundstage and decent imaging. If you are intending to use these headphones for gaming and don't require a great deal of isolation, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is solid choice.

Back