• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 Overclocking Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
i7(S1366) and i5/i7(S1156) Overclocking Guides

Below are two links. The first is from Clunk.org.uk is without a doubt one of the better guides in overclocking an i7, the second from MaximumPC, is a general overview explaining what each of the major BIOS items are as well as their overclocking how to.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fe...overclocking_guide_we_push_nehalem_its_limits

Below is the list that Google comes up with when you type in "i7 overclocking guide"

http://www.google.com/search?source...=1T4ADBR_enUS316US316&q=i7+overclocking+guide

Below is a link to an i7 guide. (Special thanks to Alien432 for linking this to another member)

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2036249

Enjoy! This has been a long time coming here!!! :comp:

Last edited:
What I really hope will come out of this is a comprehensive guide written by one of own...I would do it but I really have no experience aside from things I have seen on here and XS and it wouldnt be up to standard Im afraid. :)

Ya, me and Grumperfish were just discussing this earlier. I only wish I were up to the task. Alas, while I have gotten stable clocks, I feel Im stabbing more in the dark with information Ive read here, and testing randomly, little methodology.

i've used the clunk site as a template for a solid 3.3 oc which passed p95 for 5+hours and OCCT for like 2.. i'll probably test out moving up to 3.6 using that site as well.. though everyone seems to oc on asus boards making it a little difficult to remember what evga calls the same thing

This was also a good read..imo
Overclock.net guide to oc i7

Last edited:
Good reading. Thx

Im currently running a Linx MAX mem ( 4900 ram used ) 150pass. Hope ill be back home and it passed !

What I really hope will come out of this is a comprehensive guide written by one of own...I would do it but I really have no experience aside from things I have seen on here and XS and it wouldnt be up to standard Im afraid. :)

I think it would be a great idea for you or someone to make an i7 guide to overclocking. It seems to be a very popular subject right now along with i5 overclocking. :cool:

Im not good enough in english to doo so. but these guide are already good enough but not from one of us.

I think it would be a great idea for you or someone to make an i7 guide to overclocking. It seems to be a very popular subject right now along with i5 overclocking. :cool:
Absolutely. Though like I said, I cant do it. I dont own an i5/i7 platoform otherwise I would. Im hoping someone truely in the know steps up and puts something together...Im going to give it time, then Im going to start hunting people down that I know can do a great job for OClockers.com.

if i had more than a clue at what I was doing I'd love to write up a guide.. i'd rather not just mostly transpose everything already done by others

Reading the maximum pc guide. Seems pretty decent. Atleast I feel like I understand what each thing is affecting. Alien sent me this 1156 guide last night from over anandatech. Gonna give it a read and give my x3460 some more work in the next week. Probably need to clean out my True first. Im so lazy though. I mean I know what I had to do to get to 4.0. Im sure there are plenty of others here that could throw in their two cents.
I suggest maybe a collaboration of information, or if someone was wild, this would be a great way to put google wave to use.

Well, i must say, this guide was a life saver.

Little did i know, i was cooking my i7 at stock speeds of....get this...1.3V. This was Gigabyte's auto setting for my chip. I couldn't believe it. I had only OC'd this thing once before, and after an unsuccessful boot, reset the CMOS and just left it alone. I probably should've checked ALL the default settings afterwards...

I just figured my ZEROTherm wasn't seated right, or was curved ever so slightly...turns out, it was doing it's job. After i picked up my H50, i was wondering why my temps really weren't on par with all the others i'd seen. Now i know. After following this guide to a "t", my temps on a 3.36 OC are what i was seeing at stock speeds. After around 30 min of Prime, it's only hit 57* at ~21* ambient.

/facepalm

Glad you got your temps straightened. For that oc, from what Ive read, shouldnt take much voltage, but 1.3 isnt really that bad at all. Im having to push 1.41 to my c0 to get 4.0 ghz. I am running under water, but even with my True Black, as long as the temps were under like 70c Id be ok with 1.4 or so. But, its all about what hardware you have and how comfortable you are with the temps. Id definately stay away from much more than like 75c imo, but I keep reading 80c is ok.

I just bumped myself up to 3.61 @ 1.2v temps hover at 69c with spikes when the next test starts on p95..highest reported is 73.. hyperthreading is on.. so that increases my temps a good 5-8c.. gonna push 3.8 to 4 at 1.2v with QPI @ 1.25 maybe.. currently on auto..

After that.. what kind of mem timings should I shoot for.. currently running @ 1066 8-8-8-24-74-1T @ 1.64v dont know much about tightening timings at all

my BIOS doesn't use the same names for some things as the guides :/. I've been playing around trying to learn. I was running @ 3.88ghz for a while without really knowing what i was doing. I've gone down to 3.36ghz w/ HT+turbo @ 1.072 volts in cpuid. I am gonna try and figure out how to get to 4ghz at lowest voltages possible while still being stable for my build.

I'm running my D0 at 4.0 GHz with 1.34v vcore, QTI vtt 1.5v, CPU PLL 1.9v, QPI PLL 1.22v, DRAM 1.66v. HT is on, turbo is off. 13 hrs Prime95 stable. :cool:

Running mine at 4.2GHz @ 1.25625v, QPI 1.4875v. RAM at 2005MHz, 1.64v. I've turned HT off, it generates extra heat with a minuscule difference to performance on my system.

I tested the effect of HT using the Custom PC Benchmarking Suite http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/10/26/download-the-custompc-media-benchmarks-here/ which seem to be the best for determining real world application performance.
I've also tested with Adobe Premiere Elements and it's a fraction slower with HT on but I don't know why it should be so.

Back