• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Rig for Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=17281708

I wanted to make sure that everything is going to work together, and see if anyone had any knocks on the hardware.

CPU: I7-920 1366 (Going to grab at microcenter)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3x2)
Video: SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 (Will be picking up another in a month or two for XFire)
Power: SeaSonic S12D 850 Silver 850W
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932
Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B (Will be getting that from svc.com)
GPU Cooler: I'll probably stick these on the GPU if they are loud. I hate fan noise. Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2

Anyone see any problems, or know of any better deals. I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

This is one of the rare times I would get anything over a corsair. Those are some godlike PSU's (Seasonic S series) IIRC...Just make sure your monitor is 1680x1050 or greater for that GPU!!!

I would not. Seasonic PSUs are some of the best out there.

As are Corsairs.

Do not switch if you prefer Seasonic. I like Corsairs and will mostly only buy Corsair, but I know people who swear by Seasonic. Both are high quality.

Is there still a debate as to if Seasonic makes some of the Corsair PSUs?? I remember reading that on anandtech or Toms a while back.

Im not sure what is CURRENTLY made by seasonic for Corsair, but I know some were. With those two choices I would honestly go with whats cheaper as quality is not a concern here. ;)

Nice (and big) cooler. Check out the Corsair H-50 if you were interested in a water cooled kit. It is self contained, so you don't get to do a lot, but I heard they are nice. Mine is about to go online.

Also, they can save you from Zombies. :)

I've wanted to put my foot in the door of watercooling since my first build in '00, but I've yet to do it. Why? Well, when I first learned about the concept of a heatpipe, I predicted that HSF's would soon become dominated by the tech and water would no longer be needed to quickly move heat away from the CPU.

I was sort of right, it took a few years for the tech to really take hold, and water is still better. But it's really hard to justify the expense ($400 for a good H2O system?).

I would still like to put in a water system some day, but if I'm going to do it, it's going to be full bore with GPU and everything. And it will be with the sole intention of overclocking to the maximum possible limit.

The HSF combo is one piece, cheep, quiet, but can't reach the OC levels of a H20 system. But the cost/benefit of H20 just doesn't seem resonable, even this late in the game.

Well, the H5O isn't exactly water cooling anyway...

And seeing as how the Seasonic is cheaper (by $50) than the Corsair HX850, there is absolutely no reason not to go with the Seasonic unless modularity is an issue.

Well, the H5O isn't exactly water cooling anyway...

And seeing as how the Seasonic is cheaper (by $50) than the Corsair HX850, there is absolutely no reason not to go with the Seasonic unless modularity is an issue.

Yeah, I've read a few reviews of the H50 and my current opinion is that if you're going to do down that road... do it right. I know I could put together a nice CPU only H2O system for $300, but than I'm like... why not just get that second 5850?

Maybe after the additional card.

Well, I figured I would do a final update since I ordered all of my parts yesterday. A few things have changed, but the build might serve someone putting together an I7 system in the near future.

CPU: I7 920 (Missed the microcenter sale, newegg $289)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (newegg $209)
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600 (newegg $169)
POWER: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W (newegg $169, I missed the sale on the Seasonic, boo, and I decided that modular would be nice)
GRAPHICS: HIS H585F1GDG Radeon HD 5850 (newegg $289, pray for no gray screen)
CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 (newegg $159)

Now, the big change... I decided to FINALLY put together a water cooled system. Just the CPU for starters. After going through all of this, and this thread, I realized that I've wanted to do it for so long, and this build is tits, so why not pony up the extra cash and go for it. Besides, the Megahalems is a $70 cooler, which is a good portion of a standard h2o system.

COOLING: Water
CPU BLOCK: Enzotech SCW-REV.A (newegg $34)
PUMP: Swiftech MCP655-B (Jab-Tech $65)
RADIATOR: XSPC RX360 (Jab-Tech $95)
TUBING: PrimoFlex 1/2 -3/4 (Jab-Tech $2/ft)
RES: Denger Dan Bay (Denger Dan $29)

Of course there are misc. things I didn't list, like a fan controller, barbs, clamps ect. Will post pics once it's all here!

Last edited:
Here comes Santa Clause, here comes Santa Clause...

Case will be here tomorrow, and if I'm lucky, the rest of the water cooling parts.

Here's your kid in a candy store moment:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Back