• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Quad-core/Hex core w/ a 330W PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

I have a MicroATX motherboard with a modest, but quality PSU. I'm looking for the last AM3 hex/quad-cores that will be released before Bulldozer and are good for gaming in the long-term that would not bottleneck future GPUs (particularly Radeon 6700 series such as the 6770, or later ones 7000s...). If the TDP of a future GPUs will be close to 120-140w, and my computer is AM3, but DDR2, will there be refresh 1100 series Thubans that will be released (it can't take a Bulldozer), or would a 65 watt Phenom II X4 910e or Athlon II X4 610e be good? The reason I ask is because, while it would have been simpler if I just bought a 450watt PSU, I'd rather keep this new one and build as close to an enthusiast rig under the 330watt limit. My estimates are 65 watt (or possibly 95 watts?) for a quad/hex core, plus ~120 watts max for a GPU, and I have an SSD so the only other power needs are my fans and DVD. I'm assuming I should leave 25-30% remaining without running close to the whole 330 watts? Ideas?

Last edited:
There isnt such thing as an enthusiast rig with a 330W PSU really.

I mean a 5770 is 108W (which is a decent GPU for the moment, but not something I would call enthusiast level), CPU is 95W or 125W (quad and Hex). Unless you star dropping cores, you arent going below 95W I dont think. SSD's are nothing, and so are fans outside spinup. You have a large enough SSD to store everything and dont need a mechanical drive (which as far as power isnt much but...). What about USB devices?

Also, what brand is that 330W PSU? Can you link it on newegg so we can see the rail distribution as far as power goes?

Bad Dog (pops nose with paper) you must say hello:)

:welcome:

Some MB details would be great or did I miss something?

There isnt such thing as an enthusiast rig with a 330W PSU really.

I mean a 5770 is 108W (which is a decent GPU for the moment, but not something I would call enthusiast level), CPU is 95W or 125W (quad and Hex). Unless you star dropping cores, you arent going below 95W I dont think. SSD's are nothing, and so are fans outside spinup. You have a large enough SSD to store everything and dont need a mechanical drive (which as far as power isnt much but...). What about USB devices?

Also, what brand is that 330W PSU? Can you link it on newegg so we can see the rail distribution as far as power goes?

Seasonic Bronze.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151073
Yeah, I was thinking of a 5770, but I have a 9600gt and plan to keep that for another 1.5 years as it's good for now, just making plans for something that in 2011 or 2012 will be released as PCI 2.0.
I occasionally use flash drives, then and keyboard+mouse. So I'm not sure how much that all adds to. I do want to get a Kill-a-watt meter.

Last edited:
I think he meant me saying hello!! :) Hi, and welcome! :)

If you are making plans for the next year or further, come back then and ask this question. There is ZERO point in planning anything now for a rig even in January of 2011, none the less later.

Im not trying to be a jerk note, but this market is so volitile and sooo many things change in such a short period of time, whatever we say here will be outdated at minimum and obsolete advice at worst in 3 months or more time.

I think he meant me saying hello!! :) Hi, and welcome! :)

If you are making plans for the next year or further, come back then and ask this question. There is ZERO point in planning anything now for a rig even in January of 2011, none the less later.

Im not trying to be a jerk note, but this market is so volitile and sooo many things change in such a short period of time, whatever we say here will be outdated at minimum and obsolete advice at worst in 3 months or more time.

Hello Earthdog! :)

That does make sense. Thanks for the input.

Sorry, I forgot to say Hello. Hello Archer0915 and everyone. And thanks for the welcome! I just noticed that.
I have a biostar 785GE 128M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=biostar_ta785ge_128m-_-13-138-155-_-Product
some places say 140w limit, others say 125

My post was a bow shot at Earthdog:) not you. Gotta keep them blue guys sharp.

I am with Dog on this for the most part. Your board will support all current CPUa and as far as waiting the point is almost moot. Bio boards are phenomenal clockers if you stay away from the 140 watt processors as well. Your main limiting factor will be the PSU.

No problem but my fleet is now in retreat! I fear you may have a dreadnought hiding in the fog bank.

As to the PSU: 330W Power with Ample +12V Outputs A max power of 330W with single enhanced +12VComb.@24A rail delivers safe, reliable output for a mid-range CPU and graphics card as well as other components.

Above from new Egg so I would say the rail won't support much over a 95 watt cpu and a decent video card. There again I am speaking of the way I run them. You can balance them out though for CPU or GPU intensive gaming.

My sub was pinging you from miles away...

That PSU shows combined 34A, but I cant seem to see what the actual is... like you said, it should be fine with a midrange GPU and any CPU really.

288w max 12v, that's not bad really.
A modern hex runs 125 or 130w (amd or intel. Some quads are 95w), a 5770 runs 100 and change. That's 240ish.
Hdd eats 10, fans typically eat 2-5w each.
You could run almost any cpu you want, really.
Just don't OC it, power consumption goes up wildly when you start OCing, and it wouldn't be hard at all to hit that 288w cap if you oc the cpu and/or gpu.

288w max 12v, that's not bad really.
A modern hex runs 125 or 130w (amd or intel. Some quads are 95w), a 5770 runs 100 and change. That's 240ish.
Hdd eats 10, fans typically eat 2-5w each.
You could run almost any cpu you want, really.
Just don't OC it, power consumption goes up wildly when you start OCing, and it wouldn't be hard at all to hit that 288w cap if you oc the cpu and/or gpu.

Yes, my box says 288 combined rail. I was thinking a Phenom IIX4 945 which is 95watt and a 108watt 5770, e.g, would be around 220 watts w/ SSD, fans and keyboard. I would be tempted to overclock the CPU or just buy one higher end part (my biostar has v12 auto-overclock). E.g, a 125watt CPU w/ a ~100 watt GPU or a 95 watt CPU with a 145 watt GPU TDP (overclocking nothing)- if one 6-pin connector is 75 watts, and the PCI-e bay provides the other 75 watts, does that mean the highest card I can insert must have a TDP under 150, or much lower- 135ish?).

Last edited:
I know it sounds crazy but those TDPs are not the actual usage. They are a good guide though and you can't really go wrong following them.

I know it sounds crazy but those TDPs are not the actual usage. They are a good guide though and you can't really go wrong following them.

Thanks. I'm leaning more towards 95w CPU anyways.
Edit (and I'd probably keep the GPU far below 150)

Last edited:
Up till sandybridge, the TDP is simply the highest it can use (on cpus), or the highest it can use under reasonable circumstances (gpus).
It's a good way to be safe, gives some leeway.

Odds are you'll get better gaming performance by spending more watts on gpu and dropping down a bit on cpu.
A 945 95w and a 5830 would beat a 1090t 125w and a 5770.
I'm not really up to date on nvidias latest gpus (460, 450), but last time i checked amd/ati had the crown for performance/watt.

And yes, the PCIe slot can provide 75w, and the six pin pcie power connector can provide 75w as well.

You wouldnt have to play this cat and mouse game if you purchased a proper PSU. I dont understand why all the running around. Just get a proper PSU and then get anything else you want. The PSU will work with bulldozer. ;)

You wouldnt have to play this cat and mouse game if you purchased a proper PSU. I dont understand why all the running around. Just get a proper PSU and then get anything else you want. The PSU will work with bulldozer. ;)

:thup: Yup that about covers it.

You're absolutely right Earthdog, but it's fun playing the limbo dance :D But I'm limited also because I re-used my DDR2 ram from an even older build, and just bought this motherboard, which likely won't support Bulldozer w/DDR2. But I'll definitely keep the PSU for future AM3+ motherboards.

Bobnova, Yes a 945 does seem faster w/ a 5830. (I'll just check the TDP on that card) Thanks, all.

Right. DDR2 will not work with bulldozer I would imagine, but Im also not sure what that has to do with anything. We are talking about the PSU. :)

Back