• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie , ram for ga ep45-ud3p

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamdoyle2000

has anyone sucessfully used high density ram in this motherboard? finding ddr2 sets in 16gb is almost impossible unless its amd only, i have read that the jedec should recognize it and work, i really don't know what that means yet but if it is true i am willing to give it a shot. is it hard to do, can't do it at all???

my pc is already a cluster fork of stuff that shouldn't work and is so close to performing well
ga ep45-ud3p with q9650 clocked at 4.00 using 8.5 multiplier
memory is ocz sli ready pc2 6400
running 2 rtx 2070 super cards- one is a gigabyte windforce 3x oc, the other is a nvidia founders edition i have flashed the bios to think it's a asus rog strix card to get clock speeds closer. i have also adjusted the clock curve point by point to match the gigabyte card. both cards memory are +700 , core clock is +20 linked using afterburner using 3 slot nvlink 4932 for rtx 2080ti
psu is a corsair 850x gold series and i just ordered a mining adapter to hook up another corsair 550x i am not using, i plan to split the workload and use one psu to run the board and 1st gpu and other psu to handle gpu2 , ssd's and case fans
I am running in test mode after using different sli auto with nvidia 446.14 driver
to run sli in battlefield 5 i am using an older version of nvidia profile inspector to tell control panel i have 4 gpus installed lol
while playing i can see both cards working at about 50% or more, sometimes less in 3840x2960 @59.94mhz refresh rate with ulra settings- it has been a lot of trial and error to get it this far using every different version of profile inspector and setting configuration after hours of trying to get a cpu overclock that wouldn't crash imediately after loading into game
i suspect if i can bump up this ram a bit it will help with the overclock considerably - i know sli is dead and this is a quad 4 but it's a project i don't mind throwing money at and it is a learning experience

any help is appreciated

Sorry.... 2x 2070s.... a 2080ti??? 4 gpus in inspector? I need some caffeine to wrap my head around this, lol.

Why Frankenstein two psus if you don't have to? They are 215W cards... yours maybe 250. Cpu isn't 200W overclocked... that would be 700W worst case. Your 850w is fine. Don't overcomplicate things. ;)

As far as sli, that's a high res, but two 2070s are being nerfed by that cpu big time. 4c/4t machine working hard, lol. Pcie 2.0 board too....Sli takes horsepower.... games take horsepower....you don't have a lot of horsepower to go around. You're spitting into the wind with this config.

Re: memory, that board should have a qvl list. I'd just pull the P/N off the list and throw them in Amazon. I dont think you're going to see a worthwhile improvement unless you're maxing out what you have already. Also, that board likely only supports 4GB dimms anyway. Max is 16GB.

Last edited:
Sorry.... 2x 2070s.... a 2080ti??? 4 gpus in inspector? I need some caffeine to wrap my head around this, lol.

Why Frankenstein two psus if you don't have to? They are 215W cards... yours maybe 250. Cpu isn't 200W overclocked... that would be 700W worst case. Your 850w is fine. Don't overcomplicate things. ;)

As far as sli, that's a high res, but two 2070s are being nerfed by that cpu big time. 4c/4t machine working hard, lol. Pcie 2.0 board too....Sli takes horsepower.... games take horsepower....you don't have a lot of horsepower to go around. You're spitting into the wind with this config.

Re: memory, that board should have a qvl list. I'd just pull the P/N off the list and throw them in Amazon. I dont think you're going to see a worthwhile improvement unless you're maxing out what you have already. Also, that board likely only supports 4GB dimms anyway. Max is 16GB.

having been all over the net with the 4 available 4gb options from the qvl i am so far unsuccessful, i did however come across a few kits on ebay that are labled for amd only. they are supposedly high density ram and may not work with intel chipset. labled as samsung m395t5160qz4 4gb 2rx4 6400u 666-12-e3. they are cheap enough to try them and not be too let down if they didnt work. some posts ive read say yes, some say no. this is why i've opened the discussion. i only have the 8gb now and it seems like a factor in the overclocking. i figured i need a higher mhz than the 800 though or my result will be the same. running 4.00ghz has me at 100% utilization on the cpu almost always, i have read they can go higher but it brings the memory driving frequency up if i raise the fsb?? not sure if thats the number im refering to. my prolimatech super mega cpu cooler has my temps very low so id like to bump it up more lol
i do see 80-90% utilization of the gpus when benchmarking and sometimes durring load screen for the games... like i said im very new to all of this

Yes... raising the FSB will raise the memory speed. You can either lower the memory multiplier or get faster memory. We've got a lot of great guides for that generation cpu on this site.

Worth noting, overclocking the cpu more won't drop use %. That thing is maxed out due to the limited core count and near every big name modern game using more. Overclocking will raise the glass ceiling a bit, but don't expect miracles, and it is a low ceiling. :)

@adamdoyle2000

Last edited:
OP, I think your being over ambitious trying to get a 2008 4 threaded cpu with its DDR2 memory system to run this game without primary performance handicaps. Just like EarthDog alludes to in his above posts.
A quick perusal of the official game site suggests as a minimum requirement CPU, to be the core i5-6600 & of course being a later model cpu, it has more instruction sets & capable by default of running DDR3. Personally, I would at least upgrade to this level of base system before venturing into SLi territory as well.

Back