• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first CM690 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jameseboy

Okay so i bought my current rig from MESH computers a few years ago, i have updated it since then, switching from a Nvidia 8800gt to an ASUS hd4850, added 4gb of ram to the existing 4gb. This has and is still serving me well however i've decided to make the case a more individual piece.

This was how my rig was until recently
PB190015.jpg
another shot from the inside
PB190017.jpg

As you can see, the cabling was messy, very visible and had a stock intel cooler and only 3 more 120mm fans to cool it. It was Also full of DUST :bang head

The first thing i decided to do was to add some more fans to cool my system down and to improve the airflow in the case.
PC120020.jpg
As you can see i mounted an extra 120mm fan on the top and bottom of the case aswell as an 80mm fan on the top.

The next thing I decided to do was to redo my cabling as i felt it was restricting the airflow of the case where it was, so through brute force and some still unsightly electrical tape, i managed to fit all my cabling through the small cutout to run them all through to the back of my motherboard tray.

P1030022.jpg

This still looks rather bad, however i feel its better than the previous.

I decided to get rid of the poor intel stock heatsink and replaced it with a Zalman CNPS10x Performa heatsink, to fit the heatsink i had to move the top 120mm fan, so i mounted it on the hard drive rack for now untill i can mod it to fit onto the back side of the heatsink so that i can have the airflow in a push/pull setup.

P1030017.jpg

I also used the filter from the bottom of the case to fit that 120mm fan into the front of my case so i had more cold air being drawn into the case.
P1030024.jpg

I found that the plastic mount fitted into the front of the case nice and snuggly due to the 4 clips for a 140mm fan pushing back onto the side of the 5.25" bays. Its also much quieter than when it was mounted on the base of the case for some unknown reason.

Anyway, thats my rig up to date.
So heres my plan at the moment for my case.

1. Modify side panel to inset a window so i can see the internals on my case.
2. Paint internal chassis black.
3. Create a storage bay for spare screws out of one of the spare HDD racks.
4. Build a liquid cooling loop for CPU and GPU (i want a 240mm radiator but not sure on how i can mount it internally in this case.)
5. Add new lighting system into case. (Thinking UV Cathodes)

So heres what i have managed to get started on my window mod.

1.jpg

Standard Side Panel

I used masking tape and a chalk pencil to measure out and mark out the design that im wanting to cut into the panel to make the window.

32.jpg

Before i go ahead and cut im going to wait untill i can get the acrylic sheet.
Does anyone have any idea how i can attach the panel to the acrylic? The only thoughts ive had were double sided tape or Glue, but im not sure if the heat would effect either of these options :-/

The window design looks very good... Just make sure you make clean, straight cuts so it looks better than amazing.
As for mounting the plexi to the panel... The easiest, quickest, cheapest way to mount it is with Scotch 4010 double sided tape... You can find it at your home improvement store.

The window design looks very good... Just make sure you make clean, straight cuts so it looks better than amazing.
As for mounting the plexi to the panel... The easiest, quickest, cheapest way to mount it is with Scotch 4010 double sided tape... You can find it at your home improvement store.

Thanks, and yeah, my plan at the moment is to cut it using a hand held circular saw, unless you can suggest a better tool to use??

And for the double sided tape, thats brilliant thanks =]

I guess the circular saw would be ok for the long cuts, but the short ones are going to be a pain with that one.
Almost 100% of the cuts I've seen done to side panels are done with jig saws... Just drill a few "starter" holes on the inside part of the cut, insert the blades through the hole and start cutting. The jigsaw will be slower, but it will give you a lot more control for the corners and short cuts.

also if you're gonna cut plexiglass, tape it where you're cutting... just in case you did not know like i did the first time around....

though good idea, i just placed an order for a 690 II a few days ago, can't wait for it to arrive, thinking of making a window for it as well :)

-cheers

i just placed an order for a 690 II a few days ago, can't wait for it to arrive, thinking of making a window for it as well :)

Very nice case, much easier to keep neat than the original that i have. The side panel is nice and plain too, as long as you got the version that doesnt have a window already =]

Thanks

And thinking about using the hacksaw, got some new blades today as well as the tape, however couldnt get the acrylic panel. had to order online so waiting for the delivery before i do any more =]

Hey guys, still waiting on my acrylic arriving however ive gotten a few things done over the weekend.
Firstly i got it all cut out on friday and sanded down. Also got it primed

4-cutandprimed.jpg

Then spent saturday repainting the inside and outside of the panel black.

5-paintedandassembled1.jpg

Just thought id leave an update.
I have gotten an email from the owner of the store i ordered the acrylic from and have been told it has now been dispatched so heres hoping. Also going into town tomorrow to pick up some blue cathods for the lighting for the internals.

Peace out

That is some sexy window cut there!!!

Reminds me I gotta get off my butt and cut the side panel on my CM 690 as well.

That is some sexy window cut there!!!

Reminds me I gotta get off my butt and cut the side panel on my CM 690 as well.

Why, thank you. Mines only took me about 2 hours to cut and sand the corners down. So i guess it wasnt much work. Hardest bit was actually getting the starting holes drilled for the jigsaw.

i love that window, no boring rectangles for jameseboy! the more i look at it the more ti catches my eye, cant wait to see this with the acrylic in!

Thanks man, and yeah, it should be nice once its in. Got some cathods but im gonna wait till my acrylic arrives before i install them. Also looking at spraying the internals black, but im going to wait a while. Scottish weather is not nice and as such, its a tad hard to spray larger things inside my houes without basicly painting the carpets and walls.

looking at a liquid cooling loop install however im going to have to mod the top of the case to fit a larger radiator into the case.

Cheers.

Okay, finally got my acrylic in as of last night =]
Also got a new modular psu since i last posted so my cabling is better looking than before =]

Hey guys, thought id add some pictures of my rig now ive finally found my camera again.
So yeah. Ive got my new psu in and got the acrylic panel in also.

1. New cabling
DSC01050.jpg

2. Without lights
P3250022.jpg

3. With lights
P3250024.jpg

4. Frontal Shot
P3250026.jpg

5. Desk shot
P3250025.jpg

Also my new graphics card arrived in the UK today. Got an msi cyclone 768mb GTX 460 from CW823. Should be getting myself an i7 2600K soon to add to the mix.

Thanks, im thinking about spraying the inside Matt black when i finnish uni for the summer. Also liquid cooling is a next step for me i think.

Back