• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A-Dub's adventures in DICE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Dub

I recently got the itch to try some extreme cooling. After some research I decided to try out a dice slushbox. My goal was to hit 5ghz and put up some decent scores for the Gigabyte OC contest on the bot.

My supplies:
IMG_3047.jpg

A cut up styrofoam cooler for the slushbox:
IMG_3048.jpg

Insulating:
IMG_3049.jpg
IMG_3051.jpg
IMG_3052.jpg

Leak Testing:
IMG_3053.jpg
Ready for action!
IMG_3054.jpg
IMG_3056.jpg

Temps are good, but not quite what they would be with a pot:
IMG_3074.jpg

I fell a bit short of my 5ghz goal. I hit serious wall at 4950 that no amount of voltage would fix. 4950 wasn't too difficult, but even 1.85v wasn't enough to validate 5ghz. I'm not sure what the problem was, I guess I still have a lot to learn. :confused:
4949.png

SuperPi scores:
SPi32m47001.png
SPi48481.png

I missed my 5ghz goal, but still had a blast. I even put up some decent enough benches to snag 3rd place for the time being (until the LN2 guys come out of the woodwork). Now I just need to save up some cash for a real pot :D

Thanks for looking, here's a frosty parting shot :rock:
IMG_3080.jpg

Last edited:
where is your HWbot submissions?

I can't see pics for I am at work, :(

Looks like fun!
What'd you use for coolant in the loop?
A-Dub's HWBot submission page: http://hwbot.org/community/user/a_dub?tab=submissions

I can't help but think you're benching for the wrong team a-dub :D

EDIT:
I'm not an AMD pro, but one thing to try next time is raising the cpuNB, 2.4 to 3.0 may well help.

Last edited:
Looks like fun!
What'd you use for coolant in the loop?
A-Dub's HWBot submission page: http://hwbot.org/community/user/a_dub?tab=submissions

I can't help but think you're benching for the wrong team a-dub :D

EDIT:
I'm not an AMD pro, but one thing to try next time is raising the cpuNB, 2.4 to 3.0 may well help.

I used 91% alcohol in my loop. Acetone probably would have given me a bit better temps, but alcohol was cheap at walmart and won't eat through my cooler.

Wrong team? What can I say, I'm a sucker for free stuff :chair:

Yeah, AMD benches see a pretty big gain from increased cpunb. Mine was at ~2800 for most of mine. For some reason if I go past x14 multiplier on the cpunb post fails.

Last edited:
Aha, I was reading the pictures in shrunken form and read that 8 as a 0. Ignore me :p

I like seeing success with this sort of plan, it was discussed recently and dismissed as unworkable.

Aha, I was reading the pictures in shrunken form and read that 8 as a 0. Ignore me :p

I like seeing success with this sort of plan, it was discussed recently and dismissed as unworkable.

the difference being, when it was discussed, the desired coolant was water.

Free stuff?

OCN gives away lanyards, stickers, the occasional cash prize and sometimes benching gear.

r25b7m.jpg

I really wanted, but didn't win this bench station:
msi_techstation_ocn.png

:blah: Do as you please, just remember you're missing out. :chair:

Good clocks though. I thought you had a gem when I read the 4820 cpu-z at 1.55v, but then I realized you're a lot colder than I was. :rolleyes:

Good stuff. I need to get my 8800gt (bob ;) ) and some DIce again for my HWbot competition submissions and for the TRP competition. ;)

Back