• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T on Gigabyte 890fx ud5 OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCnewbee

Ok so i have been doing some reading in Dolk's Phenom II thread. But need some clarification please.

I have the 1090T B.E. and Gigabyte 890FX UD5 mobo.

Dolk says:
First off let us find your max core wall. This will tell you how far you can go, and at what temperature you may be running at. Please note now that you will probably not be operating at speeds you will see. Sorry.
First thing you need to do is get up to 3.8ghz stable. This should be pretty easy as it you should only be using some stock voltages and a bump up on the CPU-NB and HTT. RAM should be at its default SPD settings as well. Turbo Mode should be completely off.

Now in the BIOS on the 890FX ud5 board in the MB Intelligent Tweaker tab I see

CPU Clock Ratio [auto]3200Mhz
CPU NorthBridge Freq. [auto]2000Mhz
Core performance Boost [enabled]
CPU Host clock controller [auto] (setting the CPU freq to 200Mhz)
HT Link width [auto] HT Link Freq. [autp] 2000Mhz
System Voltage Control [auto]

Now to hit 3.8Ghz should I set the CPU Clock Ratio to 19x to have it read 3800Mz? Then what do I set the CPU NB freq. and HT Link Freq. to?

Also what is some stock voltage mean? Should I leave the voltage at the stock setting for now? Or increase it a touch? But when I go into the System voltage control and go to manual 8 different things I can adjust which one is it? There is no single CPU vcore adjustment.

Please help, I'm sooooo lost. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Sevan

Since your 1090T has an unlocked multiplier... Just bump the Clock Ratio to 19x.

CPU NB is OK at Auto (10x) and so is HT Link for now... If you have issues; set CPU NB to one or two ticks above Auto (11x or 12x)... and HT Link to one tick below CPU NB... One thing to remember is that HT Link can never be higher than CPU NB.

The CPU VCore is the the very last voltage down the list in the MB Intelligent Tweaker page... It's called CPU Voltage Control... Auto settings should be giving you somewhere in the area of 1.3V to the CPU. You should be able to keep all the settings at Auto for 3.8, but if you get some problems, just take CPU Voltage Control out of Auto and raise it one bump above 1.3V... Save and boot to see if that gets you going. Small steps will get you there quicker than long jumps.

Got it here is where i Stand right now:

CPU Clock Ratio [x19]
CPU Northbridge Freq: [x11]
Core Performance Boost [Disabled]
CPU Host Clock Control [Manual]
CPU Frequency(Mhz) [200]
HT Link Frequency [x11]
System Voltage Control [Manual]
CPU Voltage Control [+0.050v]

Ran Prime 95 for 17min rocking all core to 100% temps with the Noctua NH-D14 were sitting at 40c-42c Passed all 10 tests.

5472516419_7fbe890db7_o.jpg

Now How would I take it to the net step and try to head toward 4Ghz? What would I need to adjust and should I use A.O.D. and wprime 1.55 as suggested by Dolk's?

Sevan

Update, pumped the NB upto 12x left the HTL at 11x took the vcore upto 1.45 and the multiplier upto 20x. Running prime95 for a touch over 1hour now, so far so good, with the Antec 1200 case fans on high and the window crack i got the temps down to 39c, a bit chilly in the room though, now with the window closed and the case fans still on high, it is running around 44c and with the case fans on low and the window closed 48c.

Pic:
5472702955_dfb4e94aed_o.jpg

Edit:
Well just around 1hour and 20min the PC all of a suddenly restarted. Hmm. what do I need to adjust? more voltage, take it to 1.5v? Or is that too high? Or should I drop it to 1.4v, maybe had too much voltage?

Last edited:
1.45 seems high for 4GHz...

I was able to get to 4 on my 955BE (Only a quadcore though) with 1.4V.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, but since I don't own an 1090T I can't double check voltages or settings.

1.45 seems high for 4GHz...

I was able to get to 4 on my 955BE (Only a quadcore though) with 1.4V.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, but since I don't own an 1090T I can't double check voltages or settings.

Well I dropped it down last night, gonna give it another run at 1.4v and see what happens.

Ok, so I tried to drop the voltage to 1.4 and prime95 crashed the second i started it. So I went even lower on the voltage same thing, but when I brought the voltage back up to 1.45 it start but crashed about an hour in to stressing. So no I am at this setting, bumped up the NB and HT Link to i think 12x setting it at 2416Mhz, here is the SC.

5475526150_8bb9776905_o.jpg

Now if it crashes with these setting what should I adjust? I do not want to take the voltage any higher, will increasing the NB and HT Link help stabilize it or will I need to now play with the RAM? I think 4Ghz is the max I would like to be stable at for my 24/7 OC. Temps sit around 46c average under prime95, 48c max.

You may have to increase your CPUNB a bump or two to help stabalize the OC. Your CPUNB shouldn't go above 1.2v. You can also try running your link speed to something around 2600.

I can see 1.45 vCore to get 4Ghz because once you hit 4Ghz on the 1090T the voltage to Mhz increase is stupid (atleast on my chip).

I personally have no experience with that board however make sure that any extra "turbo" features and are turned off as that can also have ill effects on your OC. You are doing all your OC changes via BIOS or AOD? I would strongly suggest all changes to be made via BIOS personally.

You may have to increase your CPUNB a bump or two to help stabalize the OC. Your CPUNB shouldn't go above 1.2v. You can also try running your link speed to something around 2600.

I can see 1.45 vCore to get 4Ghz because once you hit 4Ghz on the 1090T the voltage to Mhz increase is stupid (atleast on my chip).

I personally have no experience with that board however make sure that any extra "turbo" features and are turned off as that can also have ill effects on your OC. You are doing all your OC changes via BIOS or AOD? I would strongly suggest all changes to be made via BIOS personally.

I turned all the tubo junk off like Dolks said to. Right now both CPUNB and HT Link are at 12x, So bump the CPU NB to 13x and should I drop the NBv to 1.2 from 1.5? But A.O.D. says my cpu voltage is 1.3750 when CPU-Z says 1.440 So maybe my NBv is not really 1.5. I need to go back into the bios and have a look. But at the 2hour mark it is hold its stability so far at 39c, but I have all the case fans on medium speed and the window cracked and chilly air is coming in. Will lower temps cheat the stability test? Should I let it run hot to make it doesn't crash?

I turned all the tubo junk off like Dolks said to. Right now both CPUNB and HT Link are at 12x, So bump the CPU NB to 13x and should I drop the NBv to 1.2 from 1.5? But A.O.D. says my cpu voltage is 1.3750 when CPU-Z says 1.440 So maybe my NBv is not really 1.5. I need to go back into the bios and have a look. But at the 2hour mark it is hold its stability so far at 39c, but I have all the case fans on medium speed and the window cracked and chilly air is coming in. Will lower temps cheat the stability test? Should I let it run hot to make it doesn't crash?

Your NB voltage should be sitting at like 1.3v. Your CPUNB shouldn't be any higher than 1.2v and really more realistic if you are on air it should be lower than that. to much voltage on the CPUNB is a good way to kill a chip.

Your NB voltage should be sitting at like 1.3v. Your CPUNB shouldn't be any higher than 1.2v and really more realistic if you are on air it should be lower than that. to much voltage on the CPUNB is a good way to kill a chip.

Got it, Gonna stop prime95 right now and check the settings in the bios.

All changes done via bios, not software changes.

Edit 1: CPU NB up one notch to 13x
NB Voltage control [normal] 1.15v If i take it up to 1.290v it is in the redzone, So should I leave it at 1.150v, or take it up to 1.190v?
CPU NB VID Control [normal] 1.80v
HT Link Voltage Control [normal] 1.20v
CPU Voltage Control [+0.075v] 1.450v

So looks like I am just gonna take the NB to 2600Mhz or should I bump the NB voltage up to 1.19v? Seeing that I went 2.5 hrs this time from yesterday attempt with out crashing, I think I might have it nailed, now to let P95 run 12+ hrs.

Edit 2:
After 13xNB and NBv changed to 1.19v trouble.
Damn! Prime95 worker 5 then 2 stopped.

[Thu Feb 24 21:47:59 2011]
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 8.651967185610342e+016, expected: 8.726448238800925e+016
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Thu Feb 24 21:50:05 2011]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

first the #5 worker then the #2 worker.

Edit 3: Now #6 worker crapped out. Went back into the bios, dropped the NB and HT Link back down to x12 2400Mhz from x13 2600Mhz, set the NB voltage back to normal and now going to give it a run again.

Edit 4: With the NB & HT Link back down to 12x and all but the CPUv back to normal, P95 is going passed the points where it crashed with the higher adjustments made in the bios. Looks like the 12x NB & HT Link and 1.45 CPUv is the limit on this chip I have. Now Im just going to let P95 run all night an lets see whats it is like in the morning.

I hope I didn't fry anything?

Last edited:
Just one note: The NB chipset voltage for the 890FX is 1.1v. Some people have gotten a little stability by increasing it to 1.20 or so but that's pretty rare - usually on a very high overclock. In general, it's probably best to leave the NB chipset voltage on Auto.

Just one note: The NB chipset voltage for the 890FX is 1.1v. Some people have gotten a little stability by increasing it to 1.20 or so but that's pretty rare - usually on a very high overclock. In general, it's probably best to leave the NB chipset voltage on Auto.

As I did, well 8hrs in and still stable guys.

5476593446_2ee89870cd_o.jpg

What do you think? :rock: This is my first OC. Look at that load temp. 38c. Im loving this Noctua NH-D14 cooler.

Nice - but I bet you can push it a lot more. ;)

BTW - What's up with the CoreTemp max of 50?

Thanks, but I think 4Ghz is going to be the max for me for a 24/7 OC. I could push for 4.1Ghz but whats the gain? .1Ghz? I doubt it is worth it. 50c was the highest the temps hit since prime95 was started, it could of hit it for a few seconds then came down but it logged it. Note, that all the Case fans in the Antec 1200 were running on low speed all night long, if I bump them up to med or even high, temps drop down to around 45c.

But I will try to take the multi up along with the NB and HT link and see if I can go higher but I'm happy with 4Ghz.

Last edited:
Well after 18hours and 14min of Prime95 I think I can say it is as stable as it is going to get.

5477239607_9e026a093d_o.jpg

Thanks for all the help, although it was pretty easy now that I think about it.

Back