• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How big is too big? Which display size is too big for evrery day use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
How big is too big? Which display size is too big for every day use?

When you go to your electronics store and you look at 1920x1080 next to each other, are you really comfortable with a gigantic screen for daily use (not playing a game or doing any single activity)?

So where do you draw the line for displays 24 inches away from your eyes in front of you.

I think I'm pretty close to it with a 23" LCD, what is too big for you?

By the way I have a 42" Plasma that is 6.5 feet away and that's OK for that far away but I'm talking about right in front of you, for daily use.

Last edited:
I am using a 23" 1080P LED, and it seems to fit my field of vision at the distance I sit from it perfectly. Sometimes when I am gaming, I tend to find myself moving in a bit closer sometimes, which causes me to have to look side to side a bit.

i think that i would have to CHANGE where things are normally with a 27 or 30'
i did not have to change anything as it slowly went from square 15 to wide 24"
if i could stuff a 30 in, i would move it back a few inches , so the rest of the desk could stay the same, acess to keyboard and tracball and all.

relativly speaking unless the 30 had better resolution or a different type of display, it would just be a bigger display at a further distance and mostly be relativly the same thing more power,
but
then there is the "bad Eyes" thing, where mabey further away is better focus point for older eyes.

This is not about further away, I'm talking about right in front of you, 24 inches away from your eyes.

Ideal size for me sitting at a desk is 20-22". My current computer setup is in my living room, however, in an HTPC type setup using my 52" LCD, though I'm about 7-8 feet back in my recliner.

ok i get my measurer out
i sit 18" AND 24" in front of the 24, just depends on the size of the text, not everything can be sized up proper . or I might have not have the fonts raised in the browser at the moment because some web page breaks , etc etc.

This is not about further away, I'm talking about right in front of you, 24 inches away from your eyes.

ya but . . .
if you think about it a IPAD screen would be massive and completly sufficient for viewing IF a person could view it shoved up in thier face.
what is Too big? when if a person could focus well enough on a small display, anything using more power when it has the same resolution is a waste.

which is better when only one person is viewing, a 12" screen using 22watts of power in front of you, or a 42" screen on the wall sucking up 3 times the power?
the Green aspect of it all. Visually the "viewport" that the eye sees can be made completly similar.

i have one of them 3d eyeviewers the lcd pannel in it is about the size of a dime :) but the view is the same as sitting in front of a 20" screen. power consumption is about 2 watts. is it to small :)

Last edited:
Man you guys are thinking about this way too hard. It's really simple.

When you are sitting at a desk, what is your most comfortable monitor size?

Man you guys are thinking about this way too hard. It's really simple.

When you are sitting at a desk, what is your most comfortable monitor size?

i would say the 300" was most comfortable :)
i have never been in a situation where the bigger wasnt more relaxing and a person could sit in more positions.
i always bleed the wallet for bigger , and still very good quality of montor.
probably will do it again. does it ever end? when 30" apple displays make me greedy.
i would stuff one of those in front of my face, sure 24" still.

honestly now, if 40" screens were what all computers came with, and they were $100, we would see the 20" as a puny thing.

"everyday use" i just got done watching the youtube of NVIDAs resident gamer geek sitting in front of 3x 22-24 inch displays , from how hard it was to detach him from his game playing, i would say that it qualified for everyday for him :) at least every moment then. he was "inside" the array almost.

we got those stockbrokers who on ONE single desk will set up a Quad of 18-22" displays and think they can see them all at once. I guess they never heard of "virtual desktops"
aparentally 10 monitors is too much (finnaly) :) ?

Last edited:
I don't think you realize how inconvenient it is to use a gigantic screen so close to your face for hours on end, every single day. Next time you're at an electronics store get up in front of them and try staying there for 10 minutes.

I think the only way 'how big is too big' can be answered is if you have them lined up and test them one after the other. If we don't have them in front of us, greed takes over and we get unrealistic about it. You need to have command of what is going on different parts of the screen and you simply can't do that effectively after a certain point. The question wasn't about a single specific use scenario.

c627627, I'm guessing you never expected replies like this. I know I certainly didn't. LOL

honestly now, if 40" screens were what all computers came with, and they were $100, we would see the 20" as a puny thing.

A 40" screen would mean if you were sitting at a desk at a normal distance you would have to physically move your head to see from one side of the screen to the other. Can you really work with a screen like that?

A lot of pro gamers use fairly small screens so everything is in a tight field of vision. Minimal eye (and certainly head) movement is key to quick reactions and better results. This is just one example of why having a screen that is too large, really is a bad thing. Hell, I have problems playing games on my HTPC that's only 52" and I'm 8 feet away.

At a fixed resolution (1920x1080) and sitting distance (24") I would still say 30-32" because that seems to be the limit of my field of vision without having to move my head. 1920x1080 doesn't look too pixellated at that sitting distance either. I think any bigger screen would make 1920x1080 too pixellated at a 24" sitting distance and I would have to back up some.

I think my ultimate monitor would be a Dell U3011 (30" 2560x1600), but I can settle with my U2410 for now :D

I use a Dell U2711, and now I'm used to it, I can't go back to a smaller 21 inch screen that I used to have.. I don't need to move my head to see it all for where I sit. I think 27 inch is perfect for me, but that's just me. Though some people may find the 2560x1440 res on a 27 inch monitor to be a bit small in terms of pixel ratio.

monitor size is personal preference as well as what you can adapt to, as well as where you are placed in relative to your monitor and desk..

Before Plasma TVs arrived, I went from a 20" standard old TV to a 27" TV and then to a 32". When their days were numbered a 36" went on a clearance sale and I bought it because the market conditioned us that bigger was better.

That thing was bigger than a refrigerator and the picture was worse. When I bought a 23" LCD on Black Friday there was a much bigger one on sale too and I remembered the lesson I learned from the old TVs and only when I went down to a local Microcenter where they were laid out side by side did I realize what a mistake I would have made with a huge screen for everyday close up use.

I am a little confused as to what the resolution settings were at Microcenter. I think next time I need to make sure I am looking at 2560x1600 to see if MattNo5ss has a point as far as going as big as 30"-32".

My conclusion was that 23" to 25" was the upper limit. I think I found the 27" to be too big but I would need to confirm one more time. Goes w/o saying a huge second screen 6+ feet away takes care of temporary specific needs.

I don't think you realize how inconvenient it is to use a gigantic screen so close to your face for hours on end, every single day. Next time you're at an electronics store get up in front of them and try staying there for 10 minutes.

mabey for you, and me, but i have set up a 7 foot big screen many many times, and had kids and less adults sit so close to the thing i cant see how they can see the show.
same thing when i put a 42" on a table many many times, some kids actually watching the thing will be 1 foot away from the thing. suffering from a sever bout of myopia ?, or just not yet attuned to BOX viewing, in the car, in front of the tv, out the window. the human has evolved into seeing less a framed view ??
mabey if we had more preditors our vision would once again expand.

I'm using a 27'' LCD 2 foot away for my monitor... with a 720p resolution I experience pretty low fatigue. I have used up to a 32" before, and that's when I started having fatigue issues. I think 27'' is about as big as you can go without running into problems.

Then again it all depends on your viewing distance.

A desk that put me only 24" from the screen would have insufficient room to accommodate my needs, as I need room to work (I don't game). Thus, my monitor is ~3-4' away. At this distance, 32" is ideal:

wkstn.jpg

BTW, that Sharp Aquos LED in the above image is the clearest and sharpest (pun intended) monitor I've ever used. The fact that it also only uses 50-85 watts typical is also a big benefit.

Last edited:
for me I wouldn't want to be gaming where my eyes are wandering around the screen, 23 inches seems to perfect on a basic desk for gaming and daily use

Back