• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The numbers on 1.5GB vs 3GB GTX 580s (Single + SLI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Was browsing around and saw a link to this article:
http://www.hardware.fr/focus/50/test-geforce-gtx-580-3-go-vs-1-go-sli-surround.html

I used google translator to translate it for me.

Here are the graphs:

d8d9bc94-e59c-496e-b941-43f3ea4b918f.jpg

a2f56c40-1d6e-4008-8d25-87fce6c28e95.jpg

From looking at these charts you can really see that the difference between single or SLI'd 1.5GB cards and 3GB cards is near-negligible (comparing single to single and SLI to SLI). There are very few cases (DOF + Metro2033) that actually take advantage of the extra memory, but even with either single or even SLI the game isn't really even running at a playable FPS without breaking into tri/quad-SLI.

Thanks for the post dude. I have always wondered whether the extra memory is really doing anything for you past a certain point. I would be interesting to see the performance results on the ATI cards in a massive eyefinity setup with a huge resolution. I imagine there it may come more into play.

OMG 3gb is bigger than 1.5gb BUY BUY BUY!

guys numbers matter, they make more income!

I have two 6950s in Crossfire and I constantly wonder what the benefit is. It seems like no game is really optimized to handle it well and more or less is a giant waste of money. I should've taken that extra $264 and put it towards a 6990 or gtx 580...unless of course something comes out that utilizes crossfire well (cough, BF3 I HOPE, cough)

I love how Metro 2033 has such low framerates even on those cards and I've been trying to play it on a 9500GT xD

I have two 6950s in Crossfire and I constantly wonder what the benefit is. It seems like no game is really optimized to handle it well and more or less is a giant waste of money. I should've taken that extra $264 and put it towards a 6990 or gtx 580...unless of course something comes out that utilizes crossfire well (cough, BF3 I HOPE, cough)

BF3 will definitely utilize the crossfirex. About the only game I have played that really sucked at efficiently using multi gpu setups was Black Ops.

A 6990 is CrossfireX. ;)

And unless you run at 2560x1600 or have multiple monitors, Crossfire/SLI with that type of card (one that can run anything out at 1920x1200 or less) is a waste of money IMHO.

Oh and BFBC2 does have Crossfire/SLI profiles...see above sentence.

+1 for what Earthdog is saying.

Its proven that 2 cards give you no added benefit unless you are running some wild resolution. I personally just want to see 120 fps or more in games, with everything on and at its fullest. I game at 1920 x 1080 currently though.

Back