• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Cloud Service Beta (FREE FOLDING!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
The HP Cloud Service is in private beta testing now. You can sign up here and if you get in you can setup up to 5 instances. Although I found the optimal setup to be 2x 2xLarge instances and 1xLarge instance. That gives you 2 machines with 8 cores each and 1 machine with 1 core each. They are running on some intel processor at 2.7 ghz, but from my ppd I think they must be sandybridge based. I'm getting ~26000 ppd on a 6097.

Code:
[13:00:17] Project: 6097 (Run 0, Clone 60, Gen 73)
[22:59:05] Completed 400000 out of 500000 steps  (80%)
[23:06:33] Completed 405000 out of 500000 steps  (81%)
[23:14:01] Completed 410000 out of 500000 steps  (82%)
[23:21:31] Completed 415000 out of 500000 steps  (83%)
[23:28:59] Completed 420000 out of 500000 steps  (84%)
[23:36:29] Completed 425000 out of 500000 steps  (85%)
[23:43:58] Completed 430000 out of 500000 steps  (86%)
[23:51:27] Completed 435000 out of 500000 steps  (87%)
[23:58:52] Completed 440000 out of 500000 steps  (88%)
[00:06:20] Completed 445000 out of 500000 steps  (89%)
[00:13:49] Completed 450000 out of 500000 steps  (90%)
[00:21:19] Completed 455000 out of 500000 steps  (91%)

Last edited:
is this a kind of 'rent-a-computer" thing?

Yup, its' HP's equivalent to Amazon's EC services. However because it's in beta testing its free at the moment, if you get in. You have to put a credit card on file but they will warn you long in advance and several times about when it's rolling out of beta and when the charges will start. So for the moment it's basically 2-3 free instances of folding if you get into the beta.

What kind of uses are you guys giving in the text box?

EDIT: well I signed up anyways, we'll see what happens, my folding has been at 0 for a while now, so this would be a nice chance to make some points for the team

2k ppd isn't much though. What are they running on? p4s?
Forgot a zero, its 26k ppd :p.

As for what to put in the box on uses? I put that I was going to experiment with using it as buildslaves for wine in regression testing. That was 4 months ago though and eventually I'll test out using the API to dynamically create build slaves but for now it's just folding away:comp:

edit:
I just received 5 referrals which will get people automatically in. PM if you want a referral, it must be done during sign up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I signed up, and sent you a PM about the referral.

If I get into the beta from signing up and get referrals, I'll def. be offering them to folders here too.

:comp:

Here are the steps you need to setup the cloud to folding.

1. Log into the hpcloud.com site
  2. Click the manage tab
  3. In the dashboard you'll see something like "US West 2 - AZ2 ", look for the one specified in your email.
  4. Click Activate now on the server cluster you are suppose to be using
  5. On the server page, change size to 2xlarge
  6. Pick any install image. natty-server-uec will be more like normal, the other ones have bayob installed so the cli is a little different.
  7. Change instances to 2
  8. Click "create"
  9. Do the same as steps 5-7 but instead use large/xlarge
  10. Now under the server list click "connect", from this popup first download your private key (hpdefault.pem )
  11. Open up the terminal on your computer and naviagate to where you downloaded the key file
  12. Connect with the ssh command listed. (Note if you used a different image besides natty-server-uec, then connect with ubuntu@ not root@
  13. If you are connected as root, create a new user with "adduser newusername"
  14. now lets create a virtual terminal so this will run even when you disconnect, type "screen"
  15. Change to that new user (if necessary) with su newusername
  16. Now every should be a non-root user
  17. Create a folding directory, mkdir ~/folding
  18. change to that directory, cd ~/folding
  19. Download the fah client, wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz
  20. untar it, tar xzf FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz
  21. make it executable, chmod +x fah6
  22. Now start fah, ./fah6 -smp
  23. Kick back and relax you are done, and can safely close the window.

Here is the relevant code from step 13 on.
Code:
adduser newusername
screen
su newusername
mkdir ~/folding
cd ~/folding
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz
tar xzf FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz
chmod +x fah6
./fah6 -smp

note: Windows users need to download and use putty to connect via ssh.
Just start at step 3 from here, http://www.ualberta.ca/CNS/RESEARCH/LinuxClusters/pka-putty.html
edit: Windows just see the evga guide here.

Also to get back to the screen if you are reconecting you can simply use "screen -r" or "screen -x", it might complain about you not specifying the screen # if so just run screen -ls and then screen -x #### (where #### is the 4 digit number of the screen).

Last edited:
I'm not a Linux guru. When I type "screen" I get this:

osumaxx@server-50164:~/folding$ screen
Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/0' - please check.

Help? :)

I'm not a Linux guru. When I type "screen" I get this:

osumaxx@server-50164:~/folding$ screen

Help? :)
Type "screen" and the command you want to use screen for. For example, if you wanted to run the program "htop", type "screen htop". This starts it normally, but you can detach from the screen by typing ctrl+a and then pressing d. You should see "[detached]" and can log out from the terminal.

Type "screen" and the command you want to use screen for. For example, if you wanted to run the program "htop", type "screen htop". This starts it normally, but you can detach from the screen by typing ctrl+a and then pressing d. You should see "[detached]" and can log out from the terminal.

See, that's what I thought, but I still get the same error. Strange...

I just got accepted to the beta, pretty sweet! Going to have to setup now
Edit: gonna definitely need some help setting this up. I will use the guide posted by Shelnutt, but this is my first time doing something like this. So please bare with me if I have stupid questions

What are you typing to get the message? From the above example, it should be:

screen ./fah6 -smp

When you used su to switch to your new user, did you type "su - username"? Looking at the above commands, I bet this is because the "-" flag was missing, so it didn't log you in normally.

When you used su to switch to your new user, did you type "su - username"? Looking at the above commands, I bet this is because the "-" flag was missing, so it didn't log you in normally.

osumaxx@server-50164:~/folding$ su - osumaxx
Password:
osumaxx@server-50164:~$ screen
osumaxx@server-50164:~$ screen ./fah6 -smp
osumaxx@server-50164:~$

What if you log in as the user directly instead of switching user?

Back