• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Found some good old Celerons...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

:D I came accross some REALLY cheap Celeron chips -775- 331 and 352 models.
I though hey, it's only 5 dollars each! Let's put them under dice!!
I just need a pot and mobo that would let me take them to somewhere over 5ghz.
Found a p35 msi board and a g41 gygabyte board...Not too cheap, I'll check the classies once I get access next month.
Any suggestions for this experiment?
I'm thinking the benching team members might be able to chime in and help me with this totally unnecesary expense I'm planning.:screwy::clap:
Perhaps you can steer me towards some other insane clocking chips, I wanted bare mhz under dice for some fun and perhaps joining the benching team eventually.
DDR2 or DDR3 boards? Dice on the NB too?
Comments appreciated! :thup:

bit of an update: a fellow coworker has a e3300 celeron left to rot...I aready asked him if I can borrow it for some extreme ocing xD
We'll see how that goes.

Even at 7.9GHz my i5 2500k at 4.7GHz blows it outta the water. Quit playing with yesteryears garbage and get into the present!:drool:

Man, I've got an I7 2600k also :thup:
Just wanted to have some fun and maybe join the benching team here...
There's different kind of rankings at hwbot one being bare mhz, and the world record was set by one of these Celeron D chips, before being dethroned by the fx-8150 at 8.5ghz or something.
But if you don't enjoy extreme overclocking perhaps it's not your cup of tea.
:shrug:

G41 is to be avoided.
P35 ought to work decently.

To really put it through the wringer you need a 965 chipset and heavy modding on the mobo, as well as one of two specific mobos.
You can totally play with them and have fun on a P35 though!

G41 is to be avoided.
P35 ought to work decently.

To really put it through the wringer you need a 965 chipset and heavy modding on the mobo, as well as one of two specific mobos.
You can totally play with them and have fun on a P35 though!

I wanna start easy, post the 10 benches and join the team.
I have a p4 640 and could get a d 352 celly for bare ghz under dice.
First I gotta make myself a pot though...
I can get a p35 board easily, not too expensive. But I'll start with the g31 board my friend has atm to upload the benches.
I'm curious about those 965 boards, thought it would be easier with a p35 cause of the already higher fsb wall. :chair: :ty:

Asus P5K3 and Commando are the go-to boards.
Other than the commando I don't know how good the 965 boards are.
Look for a board with heatsinks on all the CPU power MOSFETs, if they aren't there stay away.

Asus P5K3 and Commando are the go-to boards.
Other than the commando I don't know how good the 965 boards are.
Look for a board with heatsinks on all the CPU power MOSFETs, if they aren't there stay away.

I keep bumping on crappy MSI boards...and Gygabyte. Neither of those have mosfet sinks.
I made my very own mosfet sinks with pieces of ram sinks back when I had my prescott rig. :p
I assume that for max clocks I should run single stick/channel ram with loose timings and low multiplier, not too sure on the vdimm / nb volts though.
I'll try to find a commando at the classies or something.

First I gotta finish my 2600k rig though :p I have this dollar bills aching to jump out of my wallet so bad! xD
Found a neat little pot for virtually every socket:
http://foros.toxico-pc.com/showthread.php?t=39186&highlight=hielo+seco
What do you think?
It would roughly equate to $100.

Man, I've got an I7 2600k also :thup:
Just wanted to have some fun and maybe join the benching team here...
There's different kind of rankings at hwbot one being bare mhz, and the world record was set by one of these Celeron D chips, before being dethroned by the fx-8150 at 8.5ghz or something.
But if you don't enjoy extreme overclocking perhaps it's not your cup of tea.
:shrug:

i think this is the spirit of the real overclockers.... :attn:

I think I oced every chip I used/owned...
Only chip I didn't overclock was my first rig I built, which was a piii 600b slot1 with a voodoo 3 3500agp card with whooping 32mb vram and a vc820 intel board with rimm memory!
After that one I even overclocked the pc's at my former work -all Athlon x2's and a Sempron socket 754. Now I work at HP and they wouldn't like me overclocking their stuff :p
Though I've ran some superpi just for fun here :p

It's not so much the heatsinks themselves (though they are crucial) as that a good board will have them, while a board that lacks them will probably lack other OC related features as well.

It's not so much the heatsinks themselves (though they are crucial) as that a good board will have them, while a board that lacks them will probably lack other OC related features as well.

Yep, if we're talking bios features I do understand your point.
Doubt I can take the p4 640 too far even on dice with a g31 board...don't even know if it has voltage regulation lol

I managed 4GHz on a G31 ECS board with a 530J, no more though. 4GHz for a P4 Prescott core is pretty bad :p

I wanna start easy, post the 10 benches and join the team.
I have a p4 640 and could get a d 352 celly for bare ghz under dice.
First I gotta make myself a pot though...
I can get a p35 board easily, not too expensive. But I'll start with the g31 board my friend has atm to upload the benches.
I'm curious about those 965 boards, thought it would be easier with a p35 cause of the already higher fsb wall. :chair: :ty:

Glad to see another forum member striving to go extreme with their cooling. That said, how do you plan to make yourself a pot? Do you have access to milling services to do so?

Glad to see another forum member striving to go extreme with their cooling. That said, how do you plan to make yourself a pot? Do you have access to milling services to do so?

I found a guy that makes them here...they cost around $100.
Not too expensive at all...a hyper 212+ is $57 here in Buenos Aires.

I managed 4GHz on a G31 ECS board with a 530J, no more though. 4GHz for a P4 Prescott core is pretty bad :p

I managed 4.00ghz on an XP90 with my 478 sl7b8...golden chip and great hynix ram. Stable all around, but with a p4p800-e dlx board with custom mosfet sinks :p

I found a guy that makes them here...they cost around $100.
Not too expensive at all...a hyper 212+ is $57 here in Buenos Aires.

I managed 4.00ghz on an XP90 with my 478 sl7b8...golden chip and great hynix ram. Stable all around, but with a p4p800-e dlx board with custom mosfet sinks :p

wow, that's not too shabby, what does he make them out of? Do you have any pics/links to his work?

That looks quite reasonable for 100 US $. Maybe a bit low on mass for CB chips on LN2, but it's hard to say without seeing the guts.
Regardless, it looks like a good buy for $100!

Back