• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans stay on when shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I just built a new PC and when I shut windows down everything shuts off and nothing will turn on with the power button..... and the fans all stay on indefinatley?

I have to shut the psu off then back on to turn it off and also to turn everything on again

Sounds like the PSU stays engaged after shutdown, do you have the 24 and 8 pin power connected properly? What happens when you shut off psu main switch? (system off of course)

when I shut off psu main switch everything resets, I turn on and everything runs normal until I do a shutdown again

Sounds like you have incorrectly connected the leads going to the mobo, from the front connector panel.

Reset your front connector wires correctly, and you should be good to go.

I dissconnected everything but the power button and the hdd light, still does the same thing. I even checked the mb connections and didn't help.

It actually looks like the whole PC stays on since the lan card still has a light on it.

Could it be a bad psu? or mb?

Are all of your fans hooked up to headers on the motherboard or do you have some fans connected directly to the PSU? If so, which ones stay on when the system is off? Those connected to the motherboard headers? Those connected to the PSU? Both?

I would almost think that it could be something weird with the motherboard sending the power on signal to the PSU. Just out of curiosity, have you reset your BIOS back to defaults? Checked for a BIOS update? Just trying to think of what might cause it to act like that...

I just found a friend's computer to be doing the same thing, and sorry, I didn't find a cause either.
I just told her to start saving her pennies, cause something is on it's way out. Her system is getting long in the tooth anyway, still running IDE drives and Win XP.

I have fans hooked to mobo and to psu, both stay on along with the lan card led (add on pci)

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the mb because the lan port was dead when I got it. Although I'd prefer it to be the psu because thats easier to return and replace, the mb means I need a complete system tear down.

I have fans hooked to mobo and to psu, both stay on along with the lan card led (add on pci)

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the mb because the lan port was dead when I got it. Although I'd prefer it to be the psu because thats easier to return and replace, the mb means I need a complete system tear down.

I know what you mean there....pain in the backside.

You could always give the system one last try OUTSIDE the case before you rma it though......could be worth a shot

I just got done with micro center's tech support and they suspect the psu, they want me to bring the whole PC in for diagnosis but for a fee, so i'm just going to return the psu, if that doesn't work the mb.

Well I replaced the psu, nothing. Today I replaced the motherboard and while hooking everything back up foud a power plug to hook the case to.

Still it doesn't shut down the computer, however now when I try to use the power button it does turn off (after windows is shut down) and it does turn back on. Before the only thing I could do is flip the power supply switch to shut it off or turn it back on.

It must be the case power switch then as the only other possibilities are the board and the PSU.

Try taking the board out of the case and simulate the power switch by bridging the two motherboard connector pins for power on with a screw driver tip. Just a momentary bridge, don't keep it there.

What board did you use? I had an AsRock board which did this, replaced it with another board from Gigabyte and the problem went away. In my case all case fans plugged into the mobo and PSU fans stayed on. You could change the PSU and the issue remained. It's a fault with the MOBO.

When I press the power button it turns off.

Before I replaced mb it would only shut off if I pushed power button while windows was open, otherwise if I clicked shut down the power button didn't turn it off (maybe thats the power connector on case not hooked up?)

Now with the new MB and power connector on case hooked up the power button works any time, only when I click shutdown it doesn't work.

It's an ASrock z77 extreme, maybe they're like the old systems where you have to manually power them down after shutdown? like how it would say "it is now safe to turn off your system"

Check my previous post. It's an AsRock issue. I've already come across this a few times. Doesn't occur with other manufacturers.

Funny I have this also of my Pentium Rig with generic PSU.

I think the cause of this is related to Mobo or unknown.

After shutting down the computer Power LED, and exhaust fan and PSU fan are ON but the system is off. Very weird.

I just clean the mobo and waited for a couple of weeks and it automatically fix only by itself.

Btw Asus Motherboard.

Back