• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Triple-Monitor Stand - 27" Max - Review'ish Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Thobel said he wanted to find a thread on this and all the info was dispersed throughout other threads; as such I'll just post here so it's easy to find. :)

The stand in question is a Tyke Supply Triple Monitor Stand, Free Standing Curved Arm, available at Amazon for $89.89 plus shipping.

First off, the construction is superb...it is one heckuva stand. It's rated for three 27" monitors and I'd believe it will hold every one of them easily.

oc-stand-on-floor-1.jpg

oc-stand-on-floor-2.jpg

It comes with a ~1/2" bolt you can put up through your desk into the base, but it's so strong as-is, the bolt isn't really necessary. I don't use it anyway.

When I got it, I only had two monitors, both 21.5". After playing with the dual monitors, the stand WILL tip if you put one all the way out at the end and one in the middle. That stands to reason though, so just keep the weight balanced. As long as you do that, it will stand strong.

oc-stand-up-01.jpg

oc-stand-running.jpg

After that, I was on the lookout for another monitor and found a great open box deal on a 23" model. Previously, I had run two 21.5" and one 23" in the middle by putting them on books just for Eyefinity testing and the difference, while there, isn't really too bad when running in Eyefinity. So I jumped and got this one while it was cheap. Here is the Eyefinity setup gaming in Metro 2033 with 5760 x 1080 resolution.

tri-mon-active.jpg

Of course, if you look around for other tri-monitor stands, you'll find that there are a bunch....for double, triple or even quintuple the price of this stand. There is a reason for that. Not having that much money, I made the compromise and got the cheaper stand. If you do go this route though, there are a couple things you should know.

The curve is not very sharp. As such, if you just put the monitors next to each other facing out, they won't be facing you, unless they're plenty far away. Instead, they'll be facing to your left and right. If your monitors are good and have great lateral viewing angles, that's not a problem. If they're cheap like my two 21.5" models, that's an issue.

Which brings us to why this one is cheap...there is no front-to-back adjustment. They can be angled every which way - up, down, left and right; they can turn too, so you can run them in Portrait mode if you choose (a note on that in a bit)....but they cannot move forward and backward. That's where the other stands are superior. With the ability to move the center monitor back and/or move the side monitors out, you can adjust those viewing angles more easily.

The compromise with this stand, after using it, actually turns out to be a decent one. In order to get the outside monitors at the proper angle, you simple angle them toward yourself. That will put their inside bevels behind the center monitor. If you then move the side monitors toward the center of the stand, you can effectively hide their bezels behind the center monitor's bezels. You'd think the depth difference would be an issue, but it really isn't when playing games (and as the photo above can attest).

The other compromise is that you can't run monitors in portrait very well. The same no-front-to-back problem presents itself, and the center monitor is too far out. The same compromise in positioning would have to be made. I don't do portrait though. so it's no big deal to me.

So there you have it, the good, the bad and the ugly of a cheap triple monitor stand. Feel free to ask questions if you have them! :salute:

That's sexy after I'm done with my other upgrades I'm going to take a new look at 3x 27s I have wanted to do it forever

Makes me want to pull the trigger on a 670 and do this :/

Must wait...

Could we get an overhead shot with 3x monitors on it? Do you think something like a piece of thread rod with coupler would solve the limited depth issue for the center monitor to improve portrait mounting?

I'll take one when I have the chance, within the next day or so. The middle mount is quite deep. It's definitely deeper than the other two, which is why portrait is such a problem; more so than landscape.

Does it wobble? I've been looking for an inexpensive way to mount 3 lcd's on my glass desk... this might just be what I need.

I mean...if you move the desk, sure it will wobble. If it's just sitting there it definitely doesn't. Can you be more specific on what situation would potentially induce the wobbling?

I mean...if you move the desk, sure it will wobble. If it's just sitting there it definitely doesn't. Can you be more specific on what situation would potentially induce the wobbling?

Is there a lot of play in the actual stand when you have 3 lcd's attached? Say a 20lb cat jumps on your desk, does the stand sway or wobble?

Wow, a 20lb cat?? I don't really know to be honest. We don't have pets and I haven't thought about that. I'll have to try giving the desk a good banging.

It's not a light, easily topple-able stand by any stretch though. The shipping weight is 29lbs.

Hate to raise a thread from the dead but I just bought this stand the other day and got it all setup and I too have the problem with the center monitor sticking out way too far making it difficult to get the side monitors to angle in enough. Doing some research I found this : http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Fixed-13-26-LCD-Wall-Mount-Holds-up-to-33-lbs-003-0001-003-0001.htm it replaces the adjustable mount for the center monitor recessing it by about 5" I have mine ordered and will let you know how I like it.

Interesting. Please share pics after you get it, this could make this stand a much better solution, with less necessary compromising. :thup:

Interesting. Please share pics after you get it, this could make this stand a much better solution, with less necessary compromising. :thup:

Something else I was seeing that people were doing was using either wood blocks with longer bolts for between the monitor and the mount on the side monitors, or using stand offs. I don't want to have my monitors sticking further out from the stand than they are so I like this alternate center montor mount idea. But I will post picture of my current setup tonight and, and when I get the new mount installed I will post, so we have a before and after.

Here is the current setup with that monitor mount, I got the one that attaches to the desk, but it didn't work for me with where I have my USB hub/cable pass through, so I mounted the whole thing up to the wall with lag bolts. Will post more pics next week when the new center screen mount comes in.

IMG_20131115_233843_152.jpg

IMG_20131115_233851_939.jpg

IMG_20131115_233859_704.jpg

Back